Devs, please!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sirBodo, May 8, 2019.

1. McNolo

McNolo Registered

By default, rFactor 2 randomly allocates the garages and this results in cars from different teams matching the garages and pits, but if you have a structure created for the mod, with predefined equipment sharing garage and pit, you must make a change in the configuration of the server so that this option prevails. The particular line that must be changed is in the file "Multiplayer.ini" and it is called "Assign Parking". You must assign a value of "false", otherwise, the game will assign the garages and pits without respecting the configuration of the mod.

Maybe this was the problem, but if you were already using this option correctly, then it is an error in the AIW of the track, without a doubt.

MaD_King, Corti and Davvid like this.
  2. McNolo

McNolo Registered

One clarification. In the case of having correctly configured the line I mentioned before and still have 3 cars sharing pit, that means the groups configuration is incorrect, not the AIW. My mistake.

Corti likes this.
  3. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

@McNolo
    What happens if you have everything configured correctly, but the track has less pit spots then the pitgroup assigned in the veh files? So for example, i have 30 cars and a different pitgroup for each of it (because each car has its own team), so pitgroups goes from 1 to 30. The track has 40 garages (enough for 30 vehicles), but 20 pit spots. How is this situation managed?

4. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Pit groups manage pit stalls not garages, so in your example pit groups should go from 1 to 20 not 30.
    In my leagues I'd put 2 cars in each to keep things fair for everyone (you'd be always sharing a stall). But you should take a look at the tracks you are using, most will fit 30 cars just fine. I have seen some very bad done pit lanes when I was managing leagues, the most annoying example was Mosport (for AMS) it has little stalls, set to 3 cars per stalls but has space for way more :rolleyes:

5. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

That's what i meant (maybe pit box was the wrong word). Why should i use 20 pitgroups for 30 cars? Following your example, should i use 15 pitgroups with any of them shared by two cars? But this do not answer the question, what happens if the pitgroup assigned are more than the pit stalls in the track?

6. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

If you put more they'll (the extra cars) be put together with others, random or in order idk but they'll share in the end
    In my league I'd simply use 15 stalls instead. But as I said check the track if you know how to do it, there may be space for 30 if you manage them well, since it's humans that are going to use and not AIs you'll be fine putting them side by side, etc. But most times there is just too big gap between these stalls

7. Corti

Corti Registered

An example of a track: 3 cars per team one pit stop.
    2 cars have their garages in the pit line and the third garage is in the parking lot behind the main building (in this case we have no problem with garages). When editing the AIW the size of the pit stop is (more or less) the size of the car.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    But as McNolo commented if that size can be adjusted to the available space it would be a good solution.
    [​IMG]
    One space per garage would be very fair to be able to maneuver.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Here we see that the pit road is quite wide and you can even use up to two parallel stops (almost three).
    [​IMG]
    These would be solutions that would involve the work of modders when creating clues and depends on the decision of each of them.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    McNolo likes this.
  8. McNolo

McNolo Registered

It's like @Will Mazeo said. If the assigned group is greater than the number of pits available, the game relocates it to an available pit and this may mean that it shares a pit with other cars. Depending on the cause, there are two possible solutions. If there is no possibility of adding more pits due to lack of space, you would have to reconfigure the groups of the mod or directly use fewer cars. If there is possibility to add more pits, you could edit the aiw of the track and expand them.

Daniele Vidimari likes this.
  9. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

The second and third pics here are a good example of what can be done if you have big grids, the third one is better due to more space for the cars to leave if too many pit at the same time. But for sure the first pic is what should be in the game and it's basically what happens in real life as well (sports cars series without suspended cables).
    Hope @Marcel Offermans is reading, please make it like this
    [​IMG]
    Allow cars assigned to the pit stall to get their service done when they stop in any position in this area. Extend the "crew push the car" controls to these moments if the driver needs to be pushed to some side to leave.

Corti likes this.
  10. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

I'm reading along...

Alex72, lagg, McKiernan and 7 others like this.
  11. McFlex

McFlex Registered

I hope you put in enough (104) garage spots, pit spot and grid spots on the nordschleife. :D

12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Are you sure? What if Team Penske brought two cars and didn't properly complete the paperwork for the cars. Who is driving? What is the engine brand? Tires? There are hundreds of items real league must police to ensure fair and consistent racing. It is up to the leagues(admins) to ensure that all the skins, all the cars are up to a certain standard. Admins may want to enlist the help of another whose sole job is compliance. Ensuring that all the cars have correctly edited files so that nobody ends up with a stacked pit assignment.

13. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Easier said than done

davehenrie likes this.
  14. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

What I would like to see, since Marcels is in attendance, is track information being displayed BEFORE a track loads. It would be of great value to know how many garage/pit stalls are available before I launch the track and have to either add more cars or delete the extra ones.
    Currently, when choosing a track, we merely see the name. Then, after clicking the race button, we are then presented with a splash screen that may or may not correctly list the available pit stalls. Having some enforced format or allowing the sim itself to read the track file BEFORE it's loaded, would give us a more accurate/successful Pre-launch.

jayarrbee36 and bravotangosix like this.
  15. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

agreed

16. ~IsR~Barabba

~IsR~Barabba Registered

Babs :D:D:D

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Some thoughts on the general discussion;

- Pit Box Resizing:
    This might be easier said than done, some tracks have very tight Pit Lanes & Garage Spots (as per Real Life), so "simply" extending the Pit Box my cause issues with overlapping with the adjacent Garages Pit Boxes. This could affect a lot of tracks, many 3rd Party where the Authors have gone AWOL therefore they may never get updated and that's no good for anyone. If making them larger causes a lot of issues then that may not be the answer after all, but it's certainly an area worth investigating for sure.

- "There's already a Car in my Pit Box":
    Ok there maybe an issue with the way RF2 handles this deeper down as others have mentioned, so that definitely needs addressing. But (there's always a "but!") Double Stacking (as they call it in the Virgin Australia Supercars Series) does happen especially during Safety Car Periods, so there still needs to be an element of Realism, therefore Sharing a Pit Box with a Team Mate for example will still happen and it's up to the Game (and/or Crew Chief as mentioned before) to Alert the Driver that "Team Mate is in Pits"

- iRacing style "Ghost Pit Lane Cars":
    I'm dead against this, we're searching for Realism not Fantasy. Pit Lane incidents happen all the time in motor racing, if we're gonna make it 100% Clean to transit Pit Lane then that's simply not realistic nor my cup of tea. But (again!) to aid those not in VR there needs to be a System in place to alert the Driver of when to be safely released from the Pit Box as "Vision" here is key, especially when racing on a Flat Screen, again better in-game management (and/or Crew Chief if it doesn't do this already?) could play a role in this...and dare I say it but a highly unrealistic "Radar" or perhaps a Special "Pit Mirror" that Pops up during a Pit Stop that looks backwards down Pit lane better than the car/virtual mirrors do? dunno...but as long as they're Options to Turn Off then its fine!
    I'll end on that note with this; Dangers when Racing on track are also evident in Pit Lane, knowing when to Pit, when to be Released from the Pit Box, safe Entry & Exit of Pit Lane, all these things need to be in the Sim and not some Ghost Car Nonsense...I'll just leave this here ;)

18. domsai

domsai Registered

Hi,
    My name is ~IsR~Domsai at Internationalsimracing. http://www.internationalsimracing.com/forum/index.php
    I agree totally with my friends sirBodo and Babs. We have had this problem too a lot of times.

~IsR~Domsai

Corti likes this.
  19. McNolo

McNolo Registered

In my opinion, the ideal would be the ghost cars in the pit were an option that could be chosen, like private practice is right now, for example. In this way, depending on the tastes of each championship could be activated or not.

About the size of the pit box, what I mean is it can be modified by the modder and can be resized to the size you want, not that it becomes larger by default on all tracks. In this way, you can make two track versions just changing the AIW, one where teams share pit and another where you can stop simultaneously.

One consideration I would like to make is, although realism is important, so is the fact on many occasions, especially in individual competitions and even more if they are international, we can have a team mate with which we can't communicate , maybe we may not speak the same language and, without communication, it is impossible to coordinate the stops. We also don't have a team of engineers (usually) coordinating the stops, in most cases we are alone.

In short, realism is important, but we must be clear that this is not real life, it is simulation, therefore, it would be logical that there were options to counteract the problems of the simulation that I explained above and the double stops and / or ghost cars seem good options.

Fremen78 and Corti like this.
  20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Yes that's what I adhered too in my post re Pit Box resizing (quote: it's certainly an area worth investigating for sure.).
    There does need to be a way of Aiding the Users experience in situations during Pit Stops that helps us as we're limited in a sense so that hep may come in the form of something Unrealistic. Whether that be a Radar or the aforementioned Crew Chief help, a Pop-Up Box Alert or some other form of Indication that your Pit Box is Occupied.
    But I stress - for me - Ghost Cars is an absolute No-No even as an Option, as that is too far Fantasy and will take away a lot of the Realistic aspect of Pit Stops like I mentioned above. Learning Race Craft is not just about how to find the Apex and Overtake etc, it's also how to negotiate crowded Pit Lanes, entering and exiting the Pit Box correctly where valuable tenths of seconds are gained or lost and result in race wins or losses, by removing the Danger of running into an opponent it makes it too easy for the User whereas they need to be aware of the Dangers of Pit Lane just like they are on the Race Track itself. We make it too easy we may start to venture into more Arcade than Simulation :)