Devmode + Surround - not working?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Lazza, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Hi all,

Went to start up devmode for the first time in nearly 2 months and it loaded fine, but as soon as the track finished loading it crashes to desktop. Windows event viewer shows the crash but no identifying names that would help.

Interestingly single player mode works fine, so I knew I was probably up against it for finding a fix, but I tried a few of the usuals anyway:
    • reinstalled all runtimes
    • reinstalled directx
    • removed dx11 config file
    • verified rf2 files through steam (no issues)
    • renamed moddev folder, verified files through steam again (2000+ files missing, as expected), loads up with (obviously) only the default content but still exits after track load
    • uninstalled and reinstalled firewall and antivirus software (both were having some subtle issues, I discovered, so not a bad move anyway)
    • trace file showed it crashing at Entered Render::Init() so I did a clean install of the latest nVidia drivers
    Still refuses to work with my usual settings of 5760x1080 (surround). I tried changing the frequency (50/60Hz), taking off multiview and AA (I don't use PP), selecting Auto and then selecting my card again, windowed/borderless/fullscreen, all to no avail. Initial video settings same as single player.

However, leaving Surround enabled (in windows), but selecting a windowed resolution of 1920*1080, the at-track monitor loads up fine and I can enter the car too.

So, short of reinstalling windows and testing that, right now it looks like devmode won't do a surround resolution on my computer, while single/multiplayer still works fine.

Anyone with surround specifically, or a 'triples' resolution generally, able to advise if devmode is working for them?

2. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

So far, no. Just crashing as the track & cars are finishing loading.
    Triples here and have tried fullscreen and borderless so far.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ok, for the sake of accuracy, I meant when the loading bar had entirely finished, so technically both the track and the car(s) has loaded. Thanks for that Mr Pedantic :p

4. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

Yeah, wasn't quite sure whether you were getting to the garage before crashing or when the loading bar was finished.
    Wasn't doing this a couple of months ago, but my trace has some wierd stuff I don't recall seeing before.
    Lines 86 - 100 in Notepad++

Attached Files:

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

There is some extra stuff in there by the looks, same on mine. Made it a little trickier to find what was breaking my vehicle and making devmode crash after loading (you know, once I had devmode itself working, which in itself was after trying to find what was wrong with my vehicle before I worked out it wasn't my vehicle doing it :D).

Anyway, found a workaround of sorts - by selecting windowed mode, a resolution of 1920x1080, and then selecting borderless (so the greyed-out resolution still shows 1920), I can end up on 5760x1080 without crashing - albeit without multiview. But it's a much better option than trying to drive with a low FOV on a single screen or increasing FOV till I can see around a track properly - and to think I used to drive that way on a single screen! Even on 40° it just felt wrong, and I used to have it on 60° lol

nonamenow likes this.