Development Tools for Blender

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sancron, Oct 6, 2010.

1. sancron

sancron Registered

Hi, is it possible to get a SDK for User that use Blender as 3D Software. 3DS Max is a good program but not every one has the money to buy a expensiv Software only for a hobby.

Blender is a good solution for beginners they want to use legal software to create Mods for rFactor2. So it will be great when Blender will be supported in the upcoming Game SDK.

2. MAxE

MAxE Registered

Completely agree,
    i have used Blender as my main 3d app for years and its sad that i have to use some 3rd app to get my works into rF...
    Making modding tools available to Blender would be definitely a great thing.

:)

3. Bolk

Bolk Registered

4. MAxE

MAxE Registered

5. Philip Oakley

Philip Oakley Registered

As I said in that ^ thread, I plan to make a GMT plugin for Blender. I too use Blender (currently work for CTDP as a carmodeller) and am making a short film, all with Blender.

6. sancron

sancron Registered

That's nice and good news, that you made a GMT Plugin for Blender.

Blender is really the best choice for someone to Build a car for rFactor and don't want to pay for some Modding Tools. There are many good Tutorials that explain Blender. And i find personal, many good Tutorials, that tell me how i can model a car or create something. Include a footage where i was get basic informations, how to use Blender.

7. sommergemuese

sommergemuese Registered

I would like to see Maya Support as well :)

8. mianiak

mianiak Registered

It's great to see this is being looked into, just for the record I'd like to add my little bit to it explaining why I see it as an important issue that needs attention.

The cost of 3d max these days is way too much, $4000 software just for a hobby is out of the question. This is a problem because modellers who have good potential are limited to what they can do and this limits the use of 3dmax to people who work in the industry and have a company licensed copy and the simple fact that they are working, limits their time they have to use it and most professional modellers are all modelled out by the time they finish work and just want to relax.

At the moment all we can do is use Blender then bounce it through a 3rd party app like Zmodeller or SimEd to get it into rFactor, but it has it's problems. Minor adjustments take hours where with max its just a few clicks away.

For each export I have to use .3ds which does not work well with separated elements, each element has to be a different object in blender, which makes each model a heap of different little pieces, which widens the margin for error and can be a nightmare to fix small things. In some cases small things get left unfixed due to the hassle of the export process, which then lowers the quality of work.
    Here is an example of what I mean.
    breakitdown.jpg
    Each piece here is a separate object, then exported as one 3ds file.
    Then in SimEd I have to go through a series of steps before it becomes one single object with separation groups and I have to do that every time I make a small adjustment. Then all the materials have to be set up (which is a pain staking process) Each export takes about 10-30 mins and that has to be done for each different object, body, hood, bumpers, rims, spokes, tires, etc, etc, all have to be done individually like that. Then I realise I missed a part and have to go through the whole process again :p

On that note, I'd like to thank you guys for looking into this, if we can get a gmotor plugin for Blender a lot of people will be extremely grateful.
    If there is any help needed with tutorials, testing, etc, feel free to ask.

Cheers!

9. sancron

sancron Registered

Autodesk 3D Studio Max 2011 Single License (SLM) - 4522.00,- EUR | 6296.43,- USD
    Autodesk Maya 2011 Commercial, Single License (SLM) - 4641.00,- EUR | 6462.13,- USD
    Blender - Free

Thats an example, for the price of the Autodesk products in Germany. So theres only two ways what a Hobby modder can do in this situation. The first way ist to go the Hard way like mianiak and to do many steps to bring a model from a free 3d creation Software to rFactor, or download and use the Commercial Software above illegal with a stolen Key or Crack. And i don't think that every modder will have the money for those programs. Except he work as a 3d designer for a company and was get these Programs from there.

And a good start for everyone how want to use Blender i can suggest this site: http://www.blendercookie.com/

10. sancron

sancron Registered

In Germany, Autodesk Maya and Autodesk 3D Studio Max will cost more then 4.500 EUR / 6265 USD. And not every talented Modder, have the money to buy this expensiv software only for a hobby.

So there are only 2 ways that, that a modder can do. The first way ist to use Software like Blender what's a good 3D Software for free and take a long and hard process to bring the Model in rFactor.

Or download and use a illegal full version of the commercial Software above, to get things faster down. We have some talented modder and young persons where intrested in Modding but some donsn't have the money to pay for programs above.

And Blender is a solution that must not be hide. It's free, it's opensource, it have a big community. And for learning, you get many free tutorials. So one site i suggest to every one how want to start using Blender ist: http://www.blendercookie.com/

So there is a good news that a member will setup a GMT plugin for Blender. But better will be when ISI provide also a SDK for this program i think.

11. Rantam

Rantam Registered

Totally agree. 3DSimEd and Zmodeler, despite having good things, don't have the flexibility and/or features needed to do many things.

3DS Max is the 'standard' for the gaming industry. Is powerful and flexible, but too ridiculous expensive for the home user and usually overwhelming for the newbie.

Having the option of exporting/importing .gmt on blender would be great and probably would help to have more modders. I've always missed that, so if it ever happens i'll be more than happy :)

Best regards

12. Major_Catastrophe

Major_Catastrophe Registered

I model cars in Blender as I find it much faster and intuitive once you get over the introductory hump. Then export for texturing and exporting.

A gmt exporter for Blender would be a perfect birthday present. I looked into it as there is good python doco for blender but got stuck on the gmt file structure.

13. Bob (Punko353)

Bob (Punko353) Registered

I guess I am fortunate that I was able to buy 3D Studio because of my design business because otherwise I would be using Blender and 3DSimEd.

You have much more control over the shaders using 3d Studo than you do in 3d SimEd so it would be great if there was an option to use Blender.

I originally started using Blender before I got 3DS and Major_Catastrophe is correct, once you get over the introductory hump it is a great alternative.

14. RJ

RJ Registered

Simple little question here, guys, and maybe a bit stupid because I'm a noob at this, but can Blender be used to simply do a render of the cars?

15. commodore

commodore Registered

Yes of course.

I don't consider Blender just an "alternative" or "a good choice for beginners." Blender is a very serious piece of 3d software and I would consider it totally comparable to something like 3ds Max or Maya in most use cases. It's even used professionally for animation and game graphics so I don't think it's just a last resort for people who can't afford more popular 3d software.

16. Bob (Punko353)

Commodore,

I didn't mean "alternative" as a last resort, I meant it is an alternative to spending $5,000 on 3D studio. I have used Blender and it is nearly identical to 3D Studio so you are correct it is a very good program.

I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea that I was putting it down in any way. The only fault I can see for using it for rFactor is the lack of ISI plugins.

Bob

17. mianiak

mianiak Registered

18. sommergemuese

sommergemuese Registered

You know you can buy Student Versions which are not so Expensive ?

19. RJ

RJ Registered

Thanks, Gentlemen, for you recommendations. I will certainly look into Blender and Yafaray. But, frankly, here's my problem. I have 3DMax 8 and I'll be dang if I can figure out 1/100 of its capabilities. It appears I need to enroll into a college course to learn how to exploit the features of the blasted thing...lol...and I don't have that kind of time to invest. Sooooooooo, hopefully, Blender will reduce my learning curve in how to render.

20. Bob (Punko353)

RJ,

Blender will not reduce your learning curve, It is very similar to 3d Studio. Both are very powerful 3d and animation programs so they are not easy to learn. You can go with a much easier program like Zmodeler but you will not have the control over the shaders that you have with the Gmotor plugin for 3ds.