Developer Corner Wish

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Jamie Shorting, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

It would be great if ISI could do a comprehensive guide on how to add an existing ISI vehicle into dev mode. IMO Frankenteining cars adds a whole new element to single player. After spending 3 hours last night and only ending up with one folder moved into the dev mode documents area I think an official ISI write up for noobs starting at step one would really make things easier. Thanks.

2. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

The whole documentation needs significant improvements, ISIs "Complete Car tutorial" only contains some asset implementation methods, it will not tell you anything about cars physics, or how to hook up model of suspension so it moves with wheel travel. That "complete" tutorial is very uncomplete

It makes modding rather nightmare and i believe it hurts modding of rF2, i wouldnt have troubles believing that majority of talented people who wanted to do some modding were put off by the lack of information about how

3. Jamie Shorting

Indeed.

Modding, even just for personal use adds another element to rF2. Some basics could really be helpful here. I'm not expecting anybody to wipe my arse, but a link from ISI to a well written guide would be nice.

4. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

1) Examine structure of rtrainer already in mod folder
    2) Replicate structure
    3) Move files into that structure

What's the problem, specifically?

5. Jamie Shorting

I can't find the .gen, .mas, etc files for the car I want to move to dev mode.

Disclaimer: I never played rFactor1, been sim racing for 4 years now I guess. So this is all new to me, plus I'm not the smartest guy in the world. I found a guide but got lost on step two. I'm just looking to frankenstein together a car for fun.

6. lordpantsington

The MAS files are exposed. They are located in the "My Docs.\rf2\Installed\Vehicle" folder. In certain instances they are unable to be opened, take that as a line in the sand you shouldn't be crossing. For instance the gen/inis for the skippy is in: "My Documents\rFactor2\Installed\Vehicles\skipbarber_car\1.46" as the SKIPBARBER_CAR.MAS file. Notice how much more nested the mas files are when installed. You might need to unbury the resources when unpacking to ModDev structure.

7. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Not everybody has it installed into the documents folder.
    I think you only get things in the documents folder if you install rF2 into default locations?

8. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

When installing rf2 you can choose were do you want these data saved, i personally picked the rF2 folder, but still Jamie is not stupid :) lords post is helpful.
    Yet only looking how are things done on rTrainer also isnt the best solution. For example i would like to have explained all the features and tick boxes that the GMT exporter offers and how do they have to match with the parameters added to instances in .gen or .scn files as those have the same names but sometimes do not match with exporter settings.
    Also the tutorial about animations is missing vital infromation, for example how to export the bone structure, i got couple animations exported right several months ago but now i forgot how to do it right again so when i need it again i will have to ask again

9. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Here is the URD C6r for Devmode.

1. Copy the TestingMOD.rfm to "ModDev\rFm".
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/73n1mz66dew6rgj/TestingMOD.rfm
    The file has a wildcard for the vehicle filter.
    2. Extract the vehicle file to "ModDev\Vehicles".
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/o5ftfeb7dcebfeo/URD_C6r_ZR1.7z
    The archive has the correct folder structure (Check gen file).
    All files are extracted. There is a dummy mas file (C6r_ZR1.mas) to avoid errors because the file is called in the "C6r_ZR1.gen" file.

3. Extract both sound files to "ModDev\Sounds".
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/fq2sews7ghkxu74/URD_sounds.7z
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/ciipyz7k1d33irb/URD_C6r_ZR1_sounds.7z
    You don't need the sounds to have the car in DevMode but it sounds better with them. :D

4. Enjoy :D

5. Some cars don't work in DevMode (Megane) because the resource files are outdated (cmaps.mas for example). You can overwrite the files with a fresh version from the core folder.

10. lordpantsington

The goal is to get something moved/working/showing up in Devmode, anything beyond that might be beyond the scope of this thread and should probably be in another.

I fully expected a fail on first try, because of missing rfm, but Tosch posted some additional info so I'd bet the OP is clued in now.

11. Jamie Shorting

Woah!! :D

Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it. I was able to get the C6r with Tosch's files and clear instructions and the BT-20 in dev mode using that as an example. Thanks again!!!! :D

12. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

When you said Frankensteining cars, i didnt think you meant two cars with 50 years in between on them :-D

13. Jamie Shorting

lol. Just getting warmed up. :D

14. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Perhabs i wanted to point out my worries on related topic too as if Jamie only wanted to weld Sparks with NGTRs than this topic is nonsence

15. Jamie Shorting

Have to crawl before you can walk. I won't learn to mod for public consumption but I can see after playing around with dev mode that someone who is a car physics geek would love this and getting ISI cars into dev mode seems like step one in learning to mod. The more you learn the more you want to learn.

Mod dev mode is a whole new friggin game. Just blown away that ISI basically gives us this for free.

16. Tosch

Tosch Registered

That's the reason why I always try to help with these kind of requests. We need more modders and when you have done your first successful steps in this business you are assimilated. :D (welcome to the collective)