Dev-Talk Feedback and Suggestions

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Hey let's discuss rFactor 2!

Let us know your thoughts ;)

2. Tarek Njoumi

Tarek Njoumi Registered

Great video. Thank you guys for making this idea come to life in a short matter of time. We appreciate it.
    Suggestions: Bring people from different departments: track/cars artists, coders, business (people who are in charge of bringing licences...) to talk about what they're working on right now...
    Also have different segments: segment about what's been done, a segment about what's coming and a segment about the competitions/ esport events that happened.

Adam Helyes and Joel Fernandes like this.
  3. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

You can start by reading very carefully the threads, messages and polls of the WishList part of the forum from the last 3 years.

4. Stevy

Stevy Registered

Great idea. Great format. Great video length.
    Few Ideas for the next talk:
    - New comp system
    - future of the AI
    - future of the physics ( - future of the tires (so one of the strength of this sim and why we all love it))
    - future of the rain
    - future of the game as one (so where or what do you as a dev see (in) the game in the future) let's say next 1 to 2 years

Whats I really don't need to hear about:
    - new content
    - new competitions (if it's not part of the regular/"daily" comp system)

regardless of topic I'm really looking forward to the next video

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Great first episode guys, my thoughts;
    • Great use of the UI for the Talk, liked that a lot
    • Long Chat videos I tend to find a bit boring as they can drag on, this on around the 20minute mark is just perfect as that's the same time it takes for me to drink a cuppa tea! So I'd say no shorter than 20mins and no longer than 30mins.
    • Not much else to say on this except it was a very good first DevTalk!
    Suggestions;
    • As posted on Discord - Get Rudy (or any other Real Life Racing Driver Tester perhaps) on to talk Real vs Sim, talk about the benefits of Sim Practice, how cars handle the same or differently etc
    • I'd quite like to hear how Licensing Works with Cars & Tracks, so get that person on for a chat.

6. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Thanks for talking the time to make this.

For me lets talk AI. Enough that i would pay

7. twinrix

twinrix Registered

Appreciate this new format. Thanks. Like others already said i would be interested in features for offline racers. Ai improvements, custom championships, stuff like that.

buddhatree and DrivingFast like this.
  8. Alexandr Meshkov

Alexandr Meshkov Registered

Can we have some video about rfactor2 evolution? From early builds to current state. This sim had a long story and some interesting changes over time. Sometimes I wish to have ability to download build 93 and take a look how it was in past.

Adam Helyes likes this.
  9. Emery

Emery Registered

Introduction was too long at about 4-5 minutes total.
    Rather than being talking heads, demonstrate something, even if it has to be edited in afterwards... video is good for that.

ADSTA likes this.
  10. philman

philman Registered

Thank you for all the RF2 fans from Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal etc. for whom English is not necessarily easy to understand. It is easier for them to read a text and translate it with a google utility for example.

Emery and vitto like this.
  11. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I think the Bug Reports and Support Questions would be a better place to start.

12. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Nice concept. Despite the stuff that was allready mentioned, I would like to see some talking with devs from other studios (Niels, Renato, Aris ...). Their motivations, phisolophies and how they approach sim racing in general might be quite interesting. Or simply how they percieve rFactor 2.

13. Tallon

Tallon Registered

I would love to hear about any plans to fix surround sound (which doesn't work at all for me and many others).

Also - any plans to make the UI work better with people with, you know, wheels? Wheels that obscure the bottom center of the screen? For example, I tried out the beta UI and was unable to exit. When I hit exit, it showed the credits screen. I could not see any other button to leave... the 'exit' button was behind the wheel. Very annoying! Seriously, not everyone has a perfect wheel/monitor setup like you have in the dev talk, where the screen is extremely visible and not obscured by the wheel. Some people have large wheels and wheel bases that sit in front of the monitor.

Anyway, I love the idea of the dev talks and have huge hopes for rfactor in the future - assuming I can see the menu options on the new UI :).

Kobradelta1000 and Adrianstealth like this.
  14. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

Great first video, I'd love to see something specific on the future plans for AI and how 3rd party creators will interact with it in the future, will it change the way we work creating tracks, AIW's etc. Will AIW's be expanded on, will we be able to create things like first lap specific paths for difficult tracks etc or will AIW's disappear all together? Will we get to use things like multiple fastest lines to make racing more realistic?
    Will we see the addition of things like 3 tier .rcd references for DrivingLine=FAST_AMG_GT,FAST_GT,FASTEST so we can work on specific lines for cars that struggle at certain tracks? Are there any thoughts about moving the .rcd file for official content out of the encrypted package to help track creators create better content for official cars i.e. so we can see what DrivingLine= references are being used?

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I'd personally like these sort of videos to be talks about "how" <insert area of the sim> is made, the challenges faced with that area, why decisions are made to go one way and not the other, get to know that person's role and what they do etc

Not a talk about wish list items, or "when is feature X being added or when is bug Y getting fixed" etc, save that for a blog, roadmap or another future RD Marcel interview for example. I see this as an opportunity to dig deeper, not answer the same old questions. By all means perhaps have a Q&A that does address the usual stuff one day, but I'd like to see that avoided for the most part. :)

Remco Majoor likes this.
  16. Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet Registered

This. I feel the physics department is the most anonymous of S397, while it should be the core of it.
    rF2 as a simulator platform has not progressed since being launched. The complete simulation aspect of any series has not yet even reached the levels of best mods in rF1 (regarding different tyre working window, compound and strategy viability and realistic setup responsiveness) and the involvement of 3rd party developers has decreased instead.
    I want to know:
    - how real data vs opinions from real drivers in the beta test team are handled.
    - how rF2 pack plans to keep up (not stay ahead) with ACC GT3 physics
    - how can rF2 fix the fact that in 99% of the mods, the coolest, softest and most deflated tyre is ALWAYS the fastest.
    - how much additional development can the current systems rF2 even take?
    For example realroads of more detailed tracks taking nearly 10 minutes to load, endurance races still having the same chance of occouring servers malfunctions, massive lags, driver swap bugs and miscelanneous spooky incidents as 5 years ago and the content/workshop system getting increasingly more problematic by the day?

Outside of physics:
    - what is the official statement regarding involving or using 3rd party solutions and if its negative, then what are the benefits of a non functioning product vs getting help? For example hotlap leaderboards for hotlap competitions which have failed for the last 7 weeks, and also not using livetiming and results log analysers/archivers for the official series like GT Pro and BMW M2 cup.

Hope you guys can discuss and digest these pessimistic views just as well as your optimistic views about the UI, this is what is needed to kick in next gear and actually evolve rF2. Any dev-talk is definately a positive surprise and healthy sign, keep at it.

17. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

It is important to say that these videos are only intended for part of the users.

Indeed the majority of users, not to say the vast majority of users, do not speak English well enough to follow these new videos.

I would have preferred to have this information about rF2 in writing (NEWS PART OF THE FORUM OR ROADMAP MORE DETAILLED OR BLOG), because it is much much easier to understand or at least to use google translate.

18. Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet Registered

Turn on Youtubes auto generated captions, worked perfectly for this video as dictation was very good for both guys.

pkelly likes this.
  19. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Ok thx!

20. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Yeah, was an interesting watch, hearing the ideals of Chris in his own words and the plans for the UI, very enlightening.
    Maybe if we could get a dev on who is looking at the AI and associated issues, or at least hear what future plans are for the offline side of the platform, for those of us who like to race off line as well.
    Keep it up, it's refreshing.