details about Real Road

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lumin0u, Jan 9, 2018.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Yes I already agreed with you that RF2 perhaps cleans up too much, as I've said it's all about the amount of rain, type of tarmac/bitumen, type of rubber etc etc etc.

ECAR_Tracks likes this.
  2. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

So we agree each other but we don't lol... Kidding, I agree the grip is seriously affected. Anyway, for who play against AI is a minor issue since the behavior across the tracks is so unbalanced that I see myself completely lost.

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Well as I said I'm going off real life experience and years of watching it on tv ;) Either way there's nothing that needs immediate attention in RF2, it works well for what it does but some tweaking here and there wouldn't go astray one day:)

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The first one also relates to different rubber types. Even a track that gets regular use needs rubbering in when a series (F1 is a good example) arrives that uses different rubber. There's rubber on the track, but it doesn't help as much as the same type of rubber which gets laid down by the series. When there's some quite heavy rain this new rubber gets mostly washed away and it's often said that they're just about back to where they started. That's not to say there's 0% (however you measure it), but depending on the series it can be quite a change. 0% in rFactor 2 I think should relate to that 'start of weekend' level, not a track with 'no' rubber and definitely not a freshly laid track that's still yet to get to normal grip levels. In that context rain probably should get it back to 0%, but maybe not as quickly as it does now.

The rubber line thing is indeed a shame, though there was a long and intelligent discussion on this issue back when rF2 was young (2012 or 2013) where Tim accurately stated that the majority of the 'wet racing line' phenomenon is due to smoothing of the aggregate rather than the rubber itself. And rF2 currently supports this on the modding side (having a smoother track on the racing line, which then gets more slippery when wet), but I think it would be a time consuming process and I don't believe it's been done with any of the official content. I would like to see, for now, a workaround that uses the rubber to give less grip when wet (mod-dependent, and simply using one more parameter for the tyres to act upon all the already-existing data that's used to calculate grip), indeed I suggested such a thing back in 2014 or something, but at this stage we haven't seen anything. Hopefully S397 can get onto this sort of stuff once the UI and graphics performance are settled.

ECAR_Tracks and TJones like this.
  5. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

We certainly have that on our internal todo list, @Lazza

6. SlowMike

SlowMike Registered

Thanks for all the information in this thread. As a sim noob, I drove a medium-rubbered track for the first time yesterday. After I finished I went back into my settings to make sure I still had all the assists turned off. Huge difference!

Guimengo likes this.
  7. buzz hornet

buzz hornet Registered

Hoping somebody could explain this, I am at a loss.
    I created a high rubber real road setting - it was literally a 6 hour practice session (used Control X) the track started as green and when finished the track surface was extremely dark - lots of marbles etc - it looked very gripped up. Track: Sydney Motorsport Park
    So I start a weekend in single player - practice was set to green, qualifying was set to "high rubber" and race was "naturally progressing". On a green track in practice the AI posted a best of 1m28.200 - the track was very light surface colour so I knew it was "green".
    In qualifying the track surface was very dark as expected as it used "high rubber" but the AI was slower they where doing a best of 1m28.500.
    My question is how is that even possible?
    Forgetting track grip for one second, surely the AI would lower there fuel and be faster in qualifying then race?
    How can I tell what fuel level AI are using in qualifying? Is there a magic way of finding this out?
    Any suggestions or ideas why with a fully gripped up circuit would the AI be faster on a green track?
    Thanks

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@buzz hornet without giving any specific answers, as a general statement I would say when it comes to AI all bets are off.

That's not just about the implementation of the various AI parameters in the mod, but the state of AI in the game as a whole.

buzz hornet likes this.
  9. buzz hornet

buzz hornet Registered

Thanks mate, thought that would be the case. Really disappointing outcome.

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Not to mention that's a mod track so there's more variables at play, and you didn't mention what AI mod your using so if that's community made that could also throw in some issues.

buzz hornet likes this.
  11. buzz hornet

buzz hornet Registered

Yes, I had better results with some tracks (still not great). This track in question was Sydney Motorsport Park V1.00 which is a quality track, but for ever reason the green v high rubber made no difference, if anything the AI was slower.
    Yet in Adelaide V1.07 there is a pre-set done (assume by the author) that makes a 1.5 second difference from green to high rubber. In this case it works perfectly and as expected. Not sure if this means the high rubber needs to be built into the track as opposed to doing it yourself - the results indicate that but as you and @Lazza state there is likely to be other variables at play.

12. Comante

Comante Registered

A problem with unofficial tracks and car is that often developer made them for league use, and this make AI at best unrealiable if not unable to make a lap on that track/combo, because they see all the work needed for AI unuseful for their purposes.

buzz hornet likes this.