Delayed engine start.

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Fanapryde, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Registered

When starting the engine, be it after stalling or before leaving the box, I can hear the sound of the starting engine very faint and a second or two later I get the same sound, but louder (as it is supposed to be) and only then the rev meter comes alive and the engine responds to throttle input.

Is this "postponed" start supposed to be like that ? Are others affected too ? Is there a workaround ?
    It is a bit annoying when the start knob has no immediate effect.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Generally there are two buttons that control engine start-up. 1st is the power and then the ignition. When you stall, you should only have to punch the ignition. Making sure you are in neutral first. Then most engines have about 1.5 seconds of starter motor spinning before the engine fires. It often takes several seconds for the complete procedure. When first enter the garage area from the pit menus(setups, settings, standings) pay attention to how long it takes to reach a stable idle. Also listen to see if the sounds match because they should.
    Depending upon the car/mod, some cars have louder starter sound effects and are easier to note. Other are quieter and you may have difficulty separating the starter from the blend to idle.
    good luck
    dh

Fanapryde likes this.
  3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think the 'delay' is intentional. The car has a defined starting time (usually variable to some degree) and the starting sound might not reflect that time properly. But many racing cars aren't just turn a key and they fire up, so I think the general delay is probably just to reflect the starting sequence. You just lose that feeling because all you're doing is pressing a button (or pressing a switch) which might actually just be the final step in a 2,3,4 step sequence in real life. Maybe this should actually change between initial startup and hitting the starter out on track, but in rF2 it's all the same.

Fanapryde likes this.
  4. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Registered

It seems to be related to the car/mod. The originals don't suffer from this.
    I tried several cars today and I had the "issue" only on some mods (not all of them).
    In a few of them (I listened in the pit area and deliberately stalled on track) it is very clear: I can faintly hear the starter, then idling, then the same sounds on normal level.
    When faint, the car does not respond to throttle input, only when on normal level.
    That was bothering me, the double sequence (and the loss of time).
    It is probably some kind of glitch, because the delay in the non-affected cars is obviously normal.
    Thanks for chiming in guys !

5. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

Have a chat with the original creator. :)

it's adjustable in the car_engine.ini:
    Some examples:
    StarterTiming=(0.1, 0.1, 3.4) // average and variable cranking time, then blend with starting sound
    StarterTiming=(0.4, 0.2, 3.0) // average and variable cranking time, then blend with starting sound

It's adjustable because some have longer starting sound samples, some shorter. But it can be fine tuned to have a seamless transition between starting sound and idle. and a delay before the engine revs up, if you press the throttle too soon.

Fanapryde likes this.
  6. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Registered

Thanks ! Going to play with that ;)

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Most OLDER cars had a fairly routine starter time. It took an engine X amount of cranks to fire up. Back in the 2000's, Audi and Corvette began working on near zero crank engine starts so they could leave the pits a half or more seconds sooner. So if you are running one of the Modern LMP cars, you might expect a very very short starter motor ignition sequence. But more traditional cars should expect that WHIR WHIR WHIR sound. But if the sound effect file is either poorly recorded or the levels set too low, then it becomes difficult to hear and time the completion of the start-up.

8. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Registered

Just to be clear, I don't mind the WHIR WHIR WHIR sound.
    I have heard a lot of that, given I am 64. :D
    What I did mind with some cars (a mod BMW M6 e.g.) is the faint starter sound, followed by the engine picking up and only THEN the same sounds again, but this time on normal volume, after which the rev counter comes to live and the car reacts.