Deformable Tire shader with Cubemap?

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by FerniFan, Jan 16, 2012.

1. FerniFan

FerniFan Registered

Hi @ll,

Would it be possible to create a new shader, that has a cube map on it, because I'd like to use this for my F1 mod ;) Or is the tire still deformable even if I don't use the Deformable Tire-shader and instead put "Bump Cube Specular Add Alpha Reflect T1" on the tire walls?

Thanks for a fast reply ISI and cheers

Philipp

2. D1Racer

D1Racer Registered

Why would you? I've never seen a tyre that reflects in my life.

3. mianiak

mianiak Registered

I agree, what you really want for a tire is a specular shine. Have a look at the specular maps for the example tire files.

4. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Yeah... and with such approach we have new but cartoony-looking sim. Untill we don't understand that, we will think that only big companies like EA may do real-looking gfx in mass-marked game. But solution is so close.

ANY object reflects environment. Without exception.
    Depending on material properties it may disperse reflected light more or less.
    Cars you drive each day, have tyres usually more matte. But if you check modern F1 tyres, sidewalls reflects environment quite sharp. In both cases, tyre rubber reflects environment - in case of game, env reflection should be applied. But game should provide cube with various level of blurring which may be easily achieved by extrapolated lower resolution cube

[​IMG]

Even tread reflects env. Blue sky reflected by rubber - surprised?
    [​IMG]

Even totaly devastated/worn rubber reflects env. But in that case reflection is very diffused. But thanx to this reflection it looks real. Remove env reflection, it will start to look artifical.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2012
  5. D1Racer

D1Racer Registered

And you can imitate that kind of effect with correct specular mapping.

6. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

You cannot. Because specular reflection comes from direct light source, not from environment. Both: specular and env reflection play a part. Maybe when working with static cube you cannot see difference, or may fake it to some depth. but how you can fake constantly changing reflection of surrounding world?

But if you still claim you can. I'm OK with it. Do it. I would like to see tyre like on 1st picture rendered without env reflection.

At least your sentence " I've never seen a tyre that reflects in my life." is not true. You didn't noticed it. BUt you can see it each day around you. Unfortunately for us, until programmer or gfx artist don't understand a nature of light reflections, he is not able to reproduce natural fenomenas in correct way. He gets always something which appear more artificially than intended to be.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2012
  7. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Exactly. And if standard shader doesn't offer such reflection, then I hope someone will write such, sooner or later :)

8. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

If something reflects light, it reflects light. There are no intelligent materials that reflect light based on where it came from.

Light can come from everywhere - basically everything you see is light, right? :)
    The strongest, dominant light source is the sun, that's why it's so easy to notice it's reflection. Some materials are so reflective that you can see the environment reflected, and sun reflection can blind you. Some are barely reflective, but sunlight is so strong, that you can still se it's reflection while sky reflection is next to non-existant. But the fact is it's still there.

Of course for the purpose of realtime rendering you can afford to ommit these things that contribute little to final picture. But sometimes you cannot.

In summary - some things may be represented well with just specular reflection. Tyres are among those that may need a cubemap. I'm not saying that all tyres need cubemap, but if you look at photos above you should have no doubt, that some do.

So yeah, the question to ISI from 1st post is valid and it's something I would ask sooner or later anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2012