Dedicated servers

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by G.Bird, Apr 30, 2013.

1. G.Bird

G.Bird Registered

Can we please have the ability for the servers to redirect the game client to a hosting site to download the tracks cars for drivers that don't have the relevant track car combo.
    This would I think boost the online community no end as it is now where people are running around all over the internet to get the files
    manually is a bit mad and is putting most people off the online experience.
    thnx
    G.Bird

2. Radar

Radar Registered

This should be moved to Wish List section.. It's not an option for Dedicated servers to do other than giving your server name (what you see when finding servers in matchmmaker) a web address.

3. G.Bird

G.Bird Registered

What do you mean its not a dedicated server option I was doing this with unreal tournament 2003 which was released in 2002 because of the same issue with people not having the maps.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2013
  4. Bryan Birtwell

Bryan Birtwell Registered

I do believe that, that option exists already in the multiplayer.ini file on the dedicated server.

Now, if you don't have access to the desktop, like I do with NRT, you need to send them a "service ticket", or what ever
    they call it, to change the address of where the downloadable files are located.

That being said... If this "dedicated server" is located in your home you may want to think twice about doing this at all. vMODs are
    a lot smaller than an actual mod; be it car(s) or track(s)... by a magnitude of well over a thousand.

Hope this helps,

Bryan

5. Radar

Radar Registered

I do have access to my physical server so I will look into this further. I heard it talked about, but didn't think it was working / here now.

Curious to know if people have this working for them now and what they have done to make it work.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think you're heading down a different path to the OP. He appears to be asking for an option to link to hosted files elsewhere (not necessarily on the server itself), which is obviously a wish and doesn't belong in technical support. But judging by the tone of his second post I doubt he cares.

7. Radar

Radar Registered

I'd like to host the files from an FTP Lazza, not have it from the server.. Just never knew it was added into these latest builds.

8. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

It isn't in the latest builds. The later builds do have an HTTP server built in that can serv up the vmods but doesn't have the ability to offload to stand alone hosts (HTTP, FTP, ect.) yet.

9. G.Bird

G.Bird Registered

Apologise if I came over a bit harsh was not my intent.
    Yes I was asking about the server having the ability to redirect the client to a off site hosting site.
    It would make things a lot easier for people to join the servers that don't have the files
    so they download automatically for the person that's trying to get in

10. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

G.Bird:

I can't see why you would want to re-direct to a off site location...

With the Get Mod working and configured correctly, it should work..all in one without leaving the matchmaker program.

It installs it for you and away we go.

Now if this is league related and i missed something...I sure do apologize!
    I just like the idea that I can join any server...get mod..and enter the race with the version on the server and no mis-matches.

Interesting idea though!

Dave

11. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

The current system doesn't download rfcmp dependencies. Even if it could it isn't practical to download 500mb worth of content from the server. The current system uses sort of a QoS system to avoid steeling all the bandwidth from the server so it would take a very long time to download 500mb. This is why it is necessary to offload to web hosts on another connection. If done right it would all be handled within the client. When we say offload we aren't talking about popping up a web browser or anything like that. Although even that would be a step in the right direction.

12. G.Bird

G.Bird Registered

Dave-NRT:
    the way it works at the min is the game client downloads the vmod if the Guy has not got the track
    they have to drop out the game to manually find the files.
    Now if we could have the server to redirect the client to download the files said person would get straight in to the game.
    No messing around straight in on track racing with out the messing around.

13. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

OK..Got both of your explanations. I see what you are saying and makes perfect sense in the way you explained it. It would sure take a load off the server(s)

Dave

14. Radar

Radar Registered

Cool, I didn't miss anything.. I didn't think it was implemented yet and yes like G.Bird, hope that redirecting away from the server to minimize load but also, be able to download rfcmp (or more for that matter like skins for example)..

Thanks for Noel in explaining it, much appreciated.