Dedicated server.

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Thor, May 3, 2013.

1. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

55 here...Dos for me also and the 13 floppies if you wanted Win 32.

I ran a 2 line BBS's using OS/2 for years using a sysop US Robotics 28.8 modems...and Fidonet..reading

this thread, I had to go look for my cane.

Dave

2. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

Not to be a smart $$s...you did change the server name to your choice? and it doesn't say My Server in the lobby correct?

Dave

3. mister2cc

mister2cc Registered

Yes of course. I called i AAAAAAAA to esily find it on top of the list...

4. MJP

MJP Registered

What do you have showing (if anything) in the yellow highlighted bits on the last dedicated screen?

Attached Files:

5. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

LOL...OK..I have had a couple of server clients that never did this...just asking..:)

6. mister2cc

mister2cc Registered

Those lines are empty. What does that mean?

7. MJP

MJP Registered

It probably means you haven't chosen a valid registered rfmod or vmod in the first dedicated screen in the 'Game database' dropdown box.

8. mister2cc

mister2cc Registered

Ok. I guess we're getting really close. From that dropdown menu I can only choose 4 options, as in this image:

View attachment 7746

Actually I didn't download any MOD i believe. All i did was installing the game, then I downloaded the historic montecarlo and brianza tracks. From the MOD manager, I installed all the components that were indicated as not "installed". Did I do something wrong?

9. Spadge

Spadge Registered

If you wanted to create your own vmod it's really easy these days.

Go to Tools in your RF2 folder, run the mas2 thingy. Click the little box icon that lets you create a new mod. Call it something. Select the track(s) you want, and the car(s) you want. click package. then install. then the mod will show in that list of mods you have to choose from when hosting.

I'm doing this from memory as I don't have my server running at the moment so can't go through step by step to verify everything.

10. mister2cc

mister2cc Registered

Thanks a lot. Unfortunately this is not staight forward at all. Let's say I'm just getting too old, ok. But I did try to make a custom mod and when launched the dedi server (after selecting my new own mod in the dropdown menu) it launched it but said that the mod is invalid. Where can I find official instructions to understand all this? There must be some ISI tutorial or guide, cant' believe this is left all to the users good will... :mad:

11. MJP

MJP Registered

As I suspected those are component car files which as you've found out don't work, quite why they're appearing there I suppose is yet another little bug that needs sorting out.

Did you register your vmod or did you hit the 'Skip' button? You have to have a valid registered (v)mod for it to appear in the racelist.

12. mister2cc

mister2cc Registered

Thanks.
    I wasnt sure sure what to do, so I just skipped instead of registering some abortion of MOD to the official world outside :D
    I'll retry later and let you know.

13. Spadge

Spadge Registered

If it's not registered, it won't show on the list. And just because it's registered doesn't mean it's released to the world at large.

You want an ISI tutorial or guide? http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/1402-A-packaging-overview-tutorial-video

14. mister2cc

mister2cc Registered

Ok, i made up a mod and registered it. Into the dedi server windows now it says "Server Updating successfully", and it has a Submit ID long code, like 4847837429xc768fdd6xc7xad8s67.......etc..etc

But still, I can't see my "AAAAAA" server in the server list.... (firewall and ports are open)

I feel I'm really close.

15. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Have you changed the multiplayer.ini ?
    Announce Allowed="1" // Whether to announce server to matchmaker
    Announce Host="1" // Whether servers will attempt to register with the matchmaking service
    _____________________________________________________________________________

Why can't we host with default isi mods/tracks?

I think there's a bug somewhere or they've changed things!!
    I'm dang sure I hosted with default isi mods/tracks before..........

16. mister2cc

mister2cc Registered

That's exactly what I don't understand either...
    I'll try and do what you said about the multiplayer.ini. thanks a million, will let you know

17. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Do these numbers match the ones set in your multiplayer.ini file ?

18. mister2cc

mister2cc Registered

I've done it!!!
    My server was in the list and I could access it!! Must have been the multiplayer.ini change.
    Thank you all.
    The only problem now is that both the processes rf2.exe and the dedi server.exe become HUGE in terms of ram memory and the game is basically stuck, like if I'm running it on a 486 processor. Gotta find out what it is, but at least I got to see my own server.:cool:

19. Gupster

Gupster Registered

Our server is running nothing but ISI content with a custom vmod. All the ISI Tintops on the ISI modern tracks.
    No problems at all.

20. Truerider

Truerider Registered

With the help of this tutorial and with the comments posted here.(Thank you) I successfully created a mod and ran a dedicated server with no problems.
    My question is: The lady with the sexy voice said when creating the mod choose the track and the car.Then choose any additional components.Now is it necessary to put in the talent and sound components as she did?Will there be sound and AI talent problems if they are not added?Thank you for any help with this.