Dedicated server with 60 KB/S upload speed? :P

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Amanda Santini, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Amanda Santini

Amanda Santini Registered

I've set up a dedicated server for me and my friend, and there were about 6 AI as well. Initially, the server tool automatically selected '31 players' after I put "450" on the "Upload Speed" box. Is that correct? Can I really do a 31p race on my connection? I'd like to do only a 23p event. Besides, it's rare to find public rF2 servers with more than 5 people on. Is my connection is OK for 23 players?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No, it won't be ok for 23 players*. I'm surprised it suggested that, but I guess I haven't played with those sliders for a while...

*Not saying it won't run, and for the most part you may have no evidence of warping with the cars around you. But most of that field together at the start will run into some issues.

3. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

@Amarildo Junior, First off all this general forum section and not technical&support hosting help section.;)
    The second thing is that there was also support questions from you regarding dedicated server and hosting yesterday in general forums.
    I used my time and offered my support with no offence but you deleted that thread:(, I wonder why?
    o_O

4. Aceking

Aceking Registered

5. Amanda Santini

@Lazza OK, no problem. How many players do you think I'll be able to run?

This page says "96 Kbits/sec per user for server populations less than 10". 96 kilo-bits = 12 KB/s. So I guess I won't be able to run more than 5 players? :/

I'd love to test this, BTW. I'm putting up my server in a few minutes. It will be called "EnduRacers @Laser-Scan SPA". Anyone is welcome to join as there will be no password required.
    EDIT: New server named "GT3 PowerPack@LaserScanSPA".

@Ari Antero Yeah my bad. It was kinda late and I didn't pay much attention to where I was posting. I'll report my post as soon as I finish this one.
    About yesterday: I did learn how to easily create a server. It was surprisingly easy! :)

@Aceking Thanks! That was really helpful ;-)

6. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

ISP's usually give speed in bits, so you probably can only host one person.

7. Amanda Santini

Thanks but I tested my up speed with Azure.

8. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Amarildo Junior, if I can suggest a couple of things.
    Run a test at http://www.speedtest.net/ and post the results.
    Not knowing where you are in the world does not entice people to try your server so maybe add this info to your profile.
    (e.g. if you are in Europe then for Australians and Americans it could be too slow).
    The Spa mentioned, if this is ACSpa I had problems on my dedi server with friends on a 20 ms ping.
    That circuit is fun but badly coded, try another like RaceRfactor Spa for instance.
    I am nowhere as experienced as some on this forum but I run my dedi since rF1, have had friends visiting from around the world who tried our game, bought it and had connection problems, quite often with above 150ms ping.
    My dedi is running on 13 Mbps up/13 Mbps down and my European friends connect at around 20ms. My connection is 191 Mbps/18 Mbps but I know you can run it on much less if the track and mod are well coded.
    Good luck, it will be worth it if you get it running, I am sure.