Dedicated server when new UI is default

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Davy Jones, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Registered

The post on including paid content in a dedicated server refers to "if you are using SteamCMD method" which I thought would become the default since the old launcher for dedicated server and MAS etc is going away once the new UI becomes the default. So I was wondering what the plans are for a dedicated server setup methods under the new UI scheme?

2. CIP060

CIP060 Registered

I've been asking for almost 1 year to even put a simple button to start and configure a server !!
    Nobody ever replied
    The problem is that the launcher and the server have the same name
    So if the game is open, the server won't open it because it tells you that rafctor 2 is already open !!
    If you close the game or if it crashes and the server is active you no longer have the possibility to reopen the game!
    I think they are targeting the dedicated server
    and not on the one integrated in the old launcher

3. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Registered

Yes I think you're correct on all points.

It seems that using your Steam account to download content over CMD line on the same PC as you have Steam installed logs you out of the Steam client?

So it's either best to use another computer to host a server or another Steam account if you're running both on the same PC?

And if you have all your Workshop and paid DLC content already installed in the main game would it not just be simpler to copy over your content library since the structure of a dedicated server installation (that the CMD .exe creates) is pretty much the same as the base game and installing it in a C Drive (if it's a smaller drive) might take up a lot of space?

And using Workshop content IDs to download content 1-by-1 just seems unnecessary at this point?

I was looking to create a video guide on the dedicated server setup (including port forwarding) as I did one for RaceRoom and someone asked about rF2 so I decided to look into it and while it seems doable (just starting with the CMD method step by step) it's getting confusing when you consider adding DLC content as well. I can figure it out I guess but I don't want to miss an aspect of if at all possible

4. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Registered

Ok, can you please explain what you mean in terms of those looking to setup a dedicated server?

And just so it's clear, I tested downloading workshop content using the CMD line (which required Steam account credentials) and which appeared to log me out of the Steam client. That was my observations when first trying it out that was all.

5. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Registered

Ok, if you say so.

A Google search for an rF2 dedicated server offers this https://docs.studio-397.com/users-guide/setting-up-a-dedicated-server

And with the old launcher going away the above information, and given that it is from the source, appears to be the currently offered solution. And I think it's fair enough to assume it is valid and if not then why offer it.

I will attempt to verify that what you report is valid and then proceed with that method.

6. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Registered

We were looking for information on a dedicated server installation. A simple response stating what belongs where and how to set it up in the appropriate manner would have sufficed...

7. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Registered

The old rF2 launcher (original by ISI) which you can use to launch a dedicated server and MAS tool will go away when the new UI becomes the default. I think only the graphics options dialog box will remain.

I don't recall any links to a dedicated server setup in the beta for the new UI so once it becomes the default then what should be the recommended way to setup a dedicated server?

Perhaps the following is a useful example. Raceroom includes a dedicated server option in Steam > Tools. It can maybe be run on the same PC as the RaceRoom game but it's not advisable and in this video I recommend installing it on a separate PC. And once it's up and running it's simple enough to administer.

So with rF2 (and as said once the old launcher is gone) to run an instance of the dedicated server should it be by CMD option installed on a separate computer and where even Steam is not needed. And which is probably best as in the above example.

Or install rF2 from Steam on this other computer and use the dedicated server executable that's included as part of that installation. The old launcher will go away but the tools it points to I assume will not. And it also means that you can use the that Steam user's own content library of cars and tracks to populate the server. Those joining must have access to the same content, and in particular paid DLC.

Or potentially run both rF2 and an instance of a dedicated server on the same PC. And maybe use the content library from the Steam installation.

Its not clear to me whether if you use the CMD option as a separate install - either on the same PC as the game or on another - or the dedicated server included with the base game - which content library to use for cars and tracks in the server. Its just that manually adding content item by item as suggested when using the CMD option might be a big task. Unless of course it's on a separate PC and adding content using a Steam account that does not have access to the base game.

Apologies for any confusion :)

8. MerlinC2000

MerlinC2000 Registered

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Did you set up a shortcut to run the server as per the guide?