Dedicated Server Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2k9, Jan 11, 2012.

1. 2k9

2k9 Registered

I've got a virtual machine where I installed rFactor2 Beta a few minutes ago.

My question is now, do I have to buy a seperate account, oder do I have to reactivate the game on this second instance?

Because if I start the dedicated.exe at the launcher, I can't select the 'database'.
    Of course the three mods are installed.

Any idea?

[​IMG]

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I can't understand your second question, but the first you can install on multiple machines, just reactivate on the others.

3. 2k9

2k9 Registered

I mean that I bought the game for my gaming computer, but the dedicated should run on a virtual server.
    So I only have to reactivate my account and I can use both instances at the same time?
    Because it would be very useless if I can host with my account, but can not join into the hosted game.

Also it is a little bit unlucky that I can only 5 times reactivate my account, if it really works like this.

4. AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo Registered

From another post:

"Create a shortcut for the exe and under its properties, in the field where you have path to the file, in my case it is:
    "E:\Gry\rFactor2\Core\rFactor2 Dedicated.exe"

at the end of it simply add: +path=..

so you will have:
    "E:\Gry\rFactor2\Core\rFactor2 Dedicated.exe" +path=..

By doing that, you just telling the aplication, that the main path for it should be "one level up" (or adding additional path for searching folders with content, which is "one level up"). "

What you need to do first is to install on another machine and then create the shortcut, etc. No need to activate to run the server. Of course change the path to match yours.

Once you run the shortcut the mods will show up, at least the one's you have already installed on the second machine will.

Alan

5. 2k9

2k9 Registered

Hm, it didn't worked for me.
    The Shortcut command line is correct.
    I got the message that there are no mods installed.

After BETA installation I created a folder named 'Packages' in rFactor2 main folder.
    There are the three mod files included.

However, are you sure i don't need to reactivate the game over the launcher?

6. AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo Registered

If you have activated already you don't need to do it again. Start launcher, and then select "manage mods" (bottom right). Then once in the managing section, right-click on mod and select "install".

This is if you have not installed mods at all. If you have (e.g., in single player) and still get the no-mods message, then somehow you entered the command in the short-cut incorrectly.

Also, there would have been no need to create a /packages directory. The installation would have done that for you already. That directory is not off the main directory, but can be found off the "../my documents/rfactor2/" directory.

It's not going to work if you put the mods in the directory you created. They need to go in the other directory, the one created at installation.

Alan

7. 2k9

2k9 Registered

Thx, the problem caused by a failed installation with not enough user-rights on Windows Xp.