Dedi server not visible at all on any list

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Asimov, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Asimov

Asimov Registered

Hi, I'm a server admin and I've been succesfully using rf2 dedi server for months before having this problem: now for some reason the server is not visible both in steam and launcher lists, even if everything looks fine.
    Let me show why I am sure that this issue is not depending on config, network or anything related to the server. This is the operating server window with an event loaded and running:

View attachment 20943

Of course the first thing was to triple-check firewall and in general the communications capabilities of the machine. In my firewall there's a rule for rf2 dedi executable that allows communications for any protocol on any port, but I also tested it: from my client machine (a client outside the server's LAN) I can telnet the dedi on its ports without errors:

View attachment 20942

Also, server side, I can see the connection popping up: to check this I used CurrPorts, which is showing that not only dedi is listening on its ports, but also that my telnet request shown above did estabilished the connection:

View attachment 20941

I made a lot of research and testing, changed configs, mods, anything: the server never appeared on mp lists.

Please keep in mind that, as I said, I used to host from this very same machine without problems until some months ago (february 2016 to be precise): by then server list was still ingame (not on the launcher), and everything worked fine. Server side nothing changed since then, but I noticed that rf2 went through some updates in the meanwhile, so my current bet is that something related to the last updates could be the cause of the problem.

I would be grateful to anyone who can give me a hand on this cause I'm currently out of ideas.

Thanks in advance, cheers.

2. Goanna

Goanna Registered

When you started the server, did you get a "rFactor has stopped working" message? The reason I ask is that we fired up 4 servers the other day and each gave that error but still appeared to be working ie timer said it was online(like your first screenshot) however none were visible in the game browser or in the steam server listing. We could join the servers via desktop shortcuts we had previously setup.
    A restart of the servers gave no error messages and all are visible.

3. stonec

stonec Registered

The current server list in rF2 launcher is directly using Steam matchmaker, which is why you are having these problems. ISI moved to Steam matchmaker last spring for the Steam rF2 version (non-Steam rF2 still uses the old matchmaker). So basically it's a Steam problem, hence you might find better support in Steam forums. At least these firewall ports should be opened for Steam MM to work.

4. Asimov

Asimov Registered

Hi Goanna, and thx for your reply.
    No, I do not get any error message at all, from the server perspective all is working just fine. I will try to restart the server anyway, just in case.

5. Asimov

Asimov Registered

Hi stonec, thx for your reply.
    As I wrote in my first post my firewall grants full access (any protocol and any port) to rf2 dedicated executable. That's why I doubt this to be a port communication issue.
    It could be a steam-related issue, I agree, but I would still like someone from ISI staff to reply and taking charge of the problem: it's totally their interest to make it work, and I'm still an ISI customer having troubles using a product I bought from them.

6. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I would think it is the same port issue that occurred to us when we started using steam dedi server.

The ports that had been working OK for years wouldn't work (not visible). Before two servers could use consecutive ports. Now we need to "reserve" the hole ten for each server.
    Example :

Server.....Http...... Sim
    Server1...54350...64350
    Server2...54360...64360

I hope I was clear enough...

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

7. Wishmaster

Wishmaster Registered

Thanks. Had the same issue with one of our league servers which worked fine all the time. Assigning a new port with some space to the others helped.

8. Asimov

Asimov Registered

Hi Euskotracks, many thanks for your contribution. I think you were clear, but in my case I'm only trying to host a single server, with a default port configuration, more precisely (taken from multiplayer.json):

"HTTP Server Port":64297,
    "Simulation Port":54297,

From what I can see these ports are the only involved here (it's the only server), and there's no way they can conflict with each other with a distance of 1000 units between them.
    So, I can't see how this case can be useful to understand what's happening to mine, unless I'm missing something: in this case please explain it to me.

Besides that: how can I "officially" contact ISI staff to submit a problem to them? I thought they would monitor this forum, but I'm beginning to think that I was wrong...

9. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

If you only are hosting one server there is no possible conflict. In any case trying different ports would not hurt.

I understand that you have checked that content or server name have no influence in the result. I cannot think of what could cause the problem.

Staff do read the forum. You can however directly contact them by email. It is explained in the support section.

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

10. stonec

stonec Registered

Forgot to mention, you can also check the status of your server from this website, which uses the old ISI matchmaker. I know a couple of people who had this problem whose ISP apparently has blocked Steam ports. In any case I doubt it's the OS firewall which is the problem, it's likely the router or ISP firewall that blocks Steam.

11. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

@Asimov is your server running right now?