Dear AI Programmer....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by salvasirignano, Jul 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. salvasirignano

salvasirignano Registered

OP here again, I've been away from rF2 for a while as my PC died, but I have a new one now and have been back playing and greatly enjoying the game.

I've been doing a few more tests, but unlike Juergen-BY, I found that changing AIDraftstickiness to 0.1000 didn't have much of an effect, the Eve F1s still often get stuck behind each other on the long straights at Monza 1966, lifting off repeatedly.
    This was after lengthening the gear ratios to give them overtaking headroom, although
    admittedly I hadn't delved into the hdv file to edit the draft related parameters for the specific vehicle.

However, I was thinking, 'Surely there must be some kind of global parameters (under the hood) governing AI behaviour that ISI have control over?'
    Juergen-BY's video shows that under the right circumstances they can exhibit the right behaviour, but this should be the norm for all cars and tracks, not the exception after much tinkering.
    The decision when I'm racing, in real life or on my PC, to pull out of the slipstream and go for an overtake depends on several factors, but neglecting tactics it can be reduced to a few simple parameters..

Closing speed to car in front
    Distance to car in front
    Whether there is a path alongside the car in front to aim at.

I remember those parameters and more being present in an ini file back in the days of GPL, surely they are used somehow in the AI's decision-making?
    It would be great if the relevant developer could drop in and shed some light on the possibility of making the AI behave like Juergen-BY's video all the time!

2. salvasirignano

salvasirignano Registered

Bump! :)

It's been a while since this was last posted in, and a lot has happened since!
    I was wondering if any of the good people at Studio 397 are aware of this problem, or whether it might even be being worked on?
    For me, all that is needed to make rF2 the sim of my dreams is AI that can overtake and more historical content.

Lgel likes this.
  3. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Let's hope they make a structured online environment like iracing's,raceroom are doing it and I would hate for rf2 to be left behind,that would also take off the need for too much recourses being used on ai which are one of the best in the business

4. Pales

Pales Registered

This was reported two years ago, we also got a response from a developer but we haven't had any further developments. What can we do as a workaround??

Ariff likes this.
  5. LokiD

LokiD Registered

reiza managed to sort of fix it in ams I'm sure S397 can (if they want to that is) but yeah biggest let down for the otherwise great ai!

Ariff and atomed like this.
  6. Pales

Pales Registered

Indeed man. I just finished an offline endurance race and towards the end of the lap it was spoiled by this.. If we can just look to get this addressed, it would be a game changer.

7. Pales

Pales Registered

Still no updates on this 4 years on man.

RoboCAT10, Ariff, gunner1483 and 2 others like this.
  8. Ariff

Ariff Registered

apparently they're still looking into it after all these 4 years, and at the same time developing ui and competition. pretty unbelievable eh?

Juergen-BY, atomed and R.Noctua like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.