Date of release

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DriverN1, Mar 1, 2011.

1. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Ok, let's do a quick risk assesment for rFactor 2 modding....
    -new features - partially known
    -new modding interface - unknown
    -difficulty of porting from rFactor to rFactor 2 - unknown, probably moderate
    -date of release - unknown
    -availabilityof documentation - unknown, probably will be
    -completness of documentation - unknown, probably moderate

Risk - unknown, probably moderate :)

So do not be surprised that modders ask for information - asking for more information is part of their risk assessment.

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Oh, absolutely. But right now it's a gamble for you with that risk, a gamble you can still decide on, isn't it? If the risk is "moderate" it's up to you to either mod for rF1, or 'take a risk'. :)

Or, you can wait a little while until more details are finalized and areas of the software end development.

3. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I was just answering to PLAYLIFE's post :)

4. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Totally agree, and there's nothing wrong with wanting to find out information.

However in the absence of knowing very little relatively speaking, surely it's obvious that the risk of losing work/time is at the very least, high? We're talking about the likelihood of it being from unlikely to almost certain with consequences from moderate to severe.

Personally speaking, I would wait for the product first, then take time to understand the product, then go about making modifications. There are always unforeseen differences which have snowball effects.

If anyone could produce modifications and updates before the target software/project is completed let alone released, they'd be millionaires :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2011
  5. IMSA GTP

IMSA GTP Registered

Highly unlikely IMO. Few people in the cybergaming world are willing to pay for things like mods. They'll buy the game software, even high dollar controllers, but as far as paying for things like mods - they're willing to wait a "little while" for those mods to be posted somewhere for free.

ISI had a home run with rF1; its lasted as long as it has in a large part due to the variety of mods. I have a feeling it will hang on well into a few years past the release of rF2 for that same reason. One only has to look at the persistance of GTR2 to recognize the value of a huge legacy of mods.

I'm not in a rush to buy rF2, although I'll will buy it within a few weeks of release. I did the same thing with Simbin's stuff too. With Simbin, it didn't take long before deleting the later games from my HDD and only keeping GTR2. I'm certainly not alone on that, and I have a hunch the same will happen to rF2.

So in that event modding for rF1 has an extremely low risk at least for those looking for an offline audience. Online will see a short term boost with rF2, but I very much doubt it will last beyond a little while.

6. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

My millionaires line was a tounge in cheek comment ;)

7. John DiFool

John DiFool Registered

Someone at RaceDepartment has a sick sense of humor-they have a banner ad touting the release of rFactor 2: "Out now! Click here to download and play!" I am certain that it will redirect me to a page which will proudly display the word "SUCKER" in nice bold flashing neon colors.

8. 88mphTim

They actually have a banner for Factor 2, not rFactor 2. :)

and it is April 1st. lol

9. Bram

Bram Registered

It was a great day :D

10. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Registered

I didn't read every post here, so forgive me if I skipped over it. It'd be nice to get a ballpark figure for a release date just so I know how long I'd be waiting. Is it worth it to buy rFactor 1 while I'm waiting? I don't want to spend the money and then have rF2 released shortly after. :-/

As far as I'm concerned, they should take their time and do it right. No sense in rushing it because of people's anxiety...but a ballpark date would be nice. :-D

11. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

There was already a small debate about that and Tim said, that at this point he just can't tell us.

12. IMSA GTP

IMSA GTP Registered

The second Tuesday of next week.

13. theother5

theother5 Registered

It'll be worth the wait ..... God I hope it'll be worth the wait.

With so much 'instant gratification' expectation these days, which in reality is most often 'immediate dissappointment', RaceDepartment's April fool was an easy trap .... me included!!!

The thing about rFactor2's impending release is that there is little to no ridiculous hype going on ..... and I for one draw some confidence from this.

[If one knows that the product one is about the release will be a top drawer, high quality, game changer, then there's really no need to hype and hype ..... I really hope this is the case with ISI and based on rFactor, I'm prepared to say I beleive this to be the case with rFactor2]

Info is being released very slowly but it's quality information when it comes and not some sickofan just BS'ing!

This forum appears to be a pretty cool place, so I joined up for hopefully the final home run of rFactor2's release .... sometime in the future!!!

rgds all

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2011
  14. 88mphTim

It's just not worth lying to you, because although we have an expectation, software development just doesn't work with an expectation. ISI doesn't have a publisher around forcing an early release.

As Scott (primarily) has said a few times, the team basically just keeps working until a feature set is complete that Gjon wants and says to go with for the initial release. And more so than with rF1 I do expect rF2 to continue development (in a way which adds value for the customer more than annoyance) for quite a while.

As an example, I love the X Series... Hopefully Commander "Mostly Harmless" Jameson likes it too. :) X3 terran conflict came out in 2008. It was a bit buggy at first because the publisher was on the devs back, but they released a bugfix patch on the release date (annoys me a lot when games do that) and then released a number of updates to fix other issues. Once those issues were resolved, updates were released for X3TC right up until 24th March, 2011 which added great features.

That's the release we just want for rF2, but without the release day patches and bugs...

15. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

I have to agree with Tim Wheatley. When something has a forced release date, you'll always get trash. I'd rather wait and know that they did their best than to expect a deadline and end up finding hundreds of bugs that have to be fixed with "patches" that may not actually fix anything. ISI should take their time perfecting this simulator.

16. Doug Spinster

Doug Spinster Registered

Give us a Demo to play with ;)

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

thats not a bad shout actually, in all the Q&As and everything in these forums I've missed a question relating to a Demo. Will we get a similar Multiplayer demo as seen in rF1?
    Personally I dont see the need for one as ISI should know proper net code by now and can obviously take from rF1 and improve (if possible!), so therefore will we get a taster before the main release perhaps? then again I know that simply releasing a demo is not an easy thing to do, going on past games that is....so maybe we wont get one as it'll take too much time to prepare and take away from RF2s development.

there.....thats answered then :D

18. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Minecraft is the ultimate example of how the gaming industry should work. He began selling it a year ago in Alpha and just keeps working on it constantly. It only recently went beta. The Outerra guys are planning the same thing with their engine. Making a simple game. Charge $20 and keep fully developing. iRacing in theory is doing this as well only they are CONSTANTLY CHARGING YOU.. which breaks the theme. The only issue I could see with rFactor is any significant changes could break a mod and if something new is implemented a track or mod maker may have to back track to put it to use.

19. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I do remember ISI releasing an rFactor Multiplayer demo before the final release. Sort of a public beta test. I wouldn't be surprised if they do the same with rF2.

20. dragon

dragon Registered

How soon after issuance of rF2, we can expect some improvements?