"DashboardElementShader" Shader

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by McFlex, Dec 12, 2017.

1. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Hey guys i am currently working on bringing the URD EGT Mod to DX11 standards for our league. For my work i in most cases use 3dSimED. I read in the Guidelines for artists that you should use the "DashboardElementShader" for the LCD and for the LEDs. So far so good. But there is something i don't understand. This Shader has some kind of bloom effect during daytime but if it's dark this effect disappears. When i want this bloom effect during day and night i would have to use the "high luminance" shader. So what is the sense in using the DashboardElementShader instead of the high luminance one? Why does the bloom effect disappear at night and does this work as intended?

2. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

The bloom is probably from not having albedo maps. Reread the guidelines. If your white is 255 then it will bloom, white should be around 185 rgb. If your colours are over saturated they will bloom.

3. Alexandr Meshkov

Alexandr Meshkov Registered

In real life last thing you need in night driving it is any bloom effect. Every racing car with LCD and LEDs now have button or switcher to adjust brightness for night time driving. When I first time tried DX11 driving in night conditions only thing that i wanted was to adjust LEDs brightness to get rid of this effect. When you don't see much details in night last thing you want it is any disturbing 'effects' between you and windshield. I belive this shader simulates adjustable LEDs brightness for low luminance conditions.

Pauli Partanen likes this.
  4. McFlex

McFlex Registered

I know how to get rid of the bloom effect. But that's not what my question was about but anyway thanks for your answer :)

Maybe you are right about the simulated adjustability of the LED brightness but then i don't get the point in using this shaders. I could then use a simple T1 shader which doesn't have the bloom effect at all.
    I also compared other vehicles, for example the last version of the BTCC Honda Civic and there S397/ISI used the high luminance shader for the LEDs. Unfortunately i couldn't take a look at the latest GT3 cars as they are crypted but from what i see ingame some of them use the DashboardElement Shader and some don't. So even there seem to be some kind of inconsistency :confused:

Nibiru likes this.