[REL] DAMPlugin for rF2

Discussion in 'Other' started by Lazza, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Does the control work? I haven't tried with the new UI.

lagg likes this.
  2. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Shows in the Plugins page in new UI for me, using V0.922
    DAMPlugin.PNG

lagg likes this.
  3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Na, that's the list of plugins active. We're talking about the plugin custom controls that should be in the controls settings somewhere. If the control can be assigned and functions then it would be a UI display issue only, otherwise it could be the functionality isn't in the new UI yet.

lagg likes this.
  4. lagg

lagg Registered

Yes, the control works.
    It's only the description in the Devices list .

Lazza likes this.
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Lovely. Let's file that in 'new UI bug reports' then ;):D

lagg likes this.
  6. lagg

lagg Registered

7. matt strand

matt strand Registered

how does 1 unblock these channels to view? Working on a car and trying to compare data we have but I don't have these channels in Motec anymore. Dont even know how I blocked them if that's even possible for us modding plebs. Or are these hard coded from the game now blocking it for every car? Have the channels enabled and am getting pieces of it like the ride height but not the df or drag.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Look at the skip barber files, the HDV has a section you should copy to enable all the "sensors".

@matt strand but also make sure the relevant channel groups are enabled in your DAMPlugin.ini (in the devmode player folder, if you're logging in devmode).

matt strand likes this.
  9. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

@Lazza - many thanks for pointing me at your latest version...

Two quick questions if I may - the FFB Output figure... How is the percentage calculated - I.e. where is the max value taken from? Is it the Max Torque figure in the player/controller.JSON?

I just tried this data feed for the first time with my SC2 Pro DD wheel - it was reaching 100% on several corners of the track/car I was testing so I started to reduce the car specific FFB progressively until the output value rarely hit 100%. This needed me to drop the car specific value from 90% down to 60-65% (!) using the McLaren 650 GT3 car around the official Kyalami track...

To balance this reduction, I increased the wheel torque limit from the 20Nm I was running to maximum (26?) in the SC2 software but didn’t update the JSON to match. My thinking is that if your FFB Output % figure uses the .JSON Max Torque value (directly or indirectly), I have probably reduced the Car Specific value too much....?

The second question is much more trivial - on earlier versions of your plugin, I was able to obtain values for downforce etc. with certain vehicles at least. I do have the Aero channel group enabled, but just get zeroes with recent vehicles such as the GT3 pack. Is the availability of data car-specific (I.e. have S397 been ‘lazy’ with the GT3s) or is something else amiss?

Many, many thanks once again.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Multi-part answer :D

It's just reporting the percentage of the game's 'full' output. What 'full' means depends on the car and your JSON max torque setting.

If you drive a super fast winged car that maxes out at 40Nm (every car has a Nominal Max Steering Torque parameter, hopefully set correctly by the mod maker), the game will scale the car's 0-40Nm to your wheel's 0-20Nm. The car may go over 40Nm, but obviously that'll just stay at 100% on the output ("clipping").

If instead you drive a car with a max of 10Nm (small tintop or wingless car, probably), because you told the game your wheel can do 20Nm it'll give you the proper output - if the physics says the current steering torque is 5Nm, you'll get 5Nm. So you get real FFB in cars your wheel can replicate, but normal scaled forces in cars producing more force.

To minimise clipping you would need to go down to around 0.60-0.75 in most cars, yes. Remember a lot of players are using wheels like the G27 or equivalent, producing 2.2-2.5Nm. You really need all the strength you can reasonably get to make the wheel feel engaging, and to feel the lower forces at all, and you can live with a bit more clipping as a tradeoff. So an FFB Mult close to 1.0 won't be good for a high end wheel, but as a default for the average user it's a better option.

You should update the JSON to match whatever you set the wheel to. From the earlier example, if you only change the wheel to 26, the game still thinks it's on 20Nm. So when a normal car is producing 10Nm, the game will try to send that straight to your wheel as a fraction of the JSON maximum (10/20 = 50%), but that 50% is now 50% x 26Nm = 13Nm. You end up with more force than the car is actually producing.

Hope that makes sense. I could probably draw a diagram to make it a bit easier.

The opposite of lazy :p

Some refuse to believe it, but S397 have said that some licensing agreements include the need to restrict some telemetry (they could reveal sensitive information [sensitive as in private]). Rather like my own channel groups, there are only 5 or so telemetry 'sensor' groups in the car file that need to be enabled to allow telemetry in those categories to be logged. Many (at least) of the DLC cars have most of those groups disabled, so you will lose a number of channels in the data. Aero is a very common one.

maximus1971 and lagg like this.
  11. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Fantastic, thanks for the detailed reply - very clear and helpful

12. Andrew Tusay

Andrew Tusay Registered

Hello fellow telemetry fans :)

First of all, I'd like to to thank you @Lazza, for this great plugin. Much appreciated!

I would have a question regarding live telemetry possibility with DAMPlugin and T2 Server by Motec. I can live stream a log file already finished with DAMPlugin. Do you think it would be also possible to stream data from a file which is just being written by the plugin? I see that the plugin writes data on the fly to a temp file, but as this has a different extension (*.ldtemp) I couldn't load it with the T2 Server app. It would be great if we could stream the data to i2 live as it gets written by DAMP. I was hoping to create some dashboards to check on my second screen while driving.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Andrew Tusay the live telemetry won't work from a file, it would use a network (local machine or otherwise) connection for communication. I don't know any details and haven't looked into implementing it.

14. jaco

jaco Registered

Hi guys,

since last update, my DAMPlungin stops logging randomly while driving: it just says "logging finished". When I go to drive next time, it is normally enabaled, saying "logging enabled". The problem occurs so often that it's rare to have an entire lap logged, while everything else works normally and the plugin itself always worked well for me.

I looked for some kind of log but I found none, even with starting rFactor2 with "+trace=3". It would be great to know:
    1. Am I the only one having this issue?
    2. Is there a way to enable some kind of logging for plugins?
    Any hint on how to troubleshoot this weird issue would be really appreciated.

svictor likes this.
  15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I've noticed that when alt-tabbing out of single player mode (I don't remember what I was doing that for... hmm...) it was giving the log finished sound - it didn't do that before. I haven't had it happen at all while driving, and I did a couple of the competition races so that's some sort of testing of the new UI.

I'll take a look and see if something's changed in what the game is doing...

jaco and svictor like this.
  16. svictor

svictor Registered

I'm having the same issue, since about 1-2 week ago (in Devmode, as I was testing mod). Many times when I ESC to garage, logging won't stop, but next time I was on the track again, it would random stop the previous logging.

jaco and Lazza like this.
  17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@jaco @svictor if you guys, or anyone else, spots a pattern to this, let me know please.

Cheers!

svictor and jaco like this.
  18. Andrew Tusay

Andrew Tusay Registered

I have noticed these issues too. My guess is that the log building takes longer than before.
    If you complete a couple of laps it takes several minutes to finish building. Most of the time we already start doing another stint, so we notice "the log building finished" sound from the previous stint. In my case, I have the data rate set to level 4. Did not try to change that, although I have tried increasing the log cycle rate for both idle and driving without noticing any improvements. Hope this helps.

svictor and jaco like this.
  19. jaco

jaco Registered

Thanks @Andrew Tusay and @svictor , in my case, I log incrementally (i.e. I save at every Lap). Yesterday, for example, it stopped logging during the first outlap after launching rF2.
    It's not only about the message, I actually have no data logged. I can try to lower the data rate but what puzzles me is that until a few days ago I had no problem at all and now I almost have no log at all.

Thanks also to @Lazza for the ALT-TAB hint, I'll take that into consideration from now on.

In the mean time, I'm not only interested in a a solution but I'll gladly contribute to the troubleshooting if possible, sending logs or testing versions, etc.

Thanks, jaco

Andrew Tusay and svictor like this.
  20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Are you on the latest DAMPlugin version? Some previous versions started processing much slower after a windows update. Just want to avoid that getting mixed in with any new issue.

@jaco can you explain that a little more? Do you switch logging off/on after each lap? Or is the plugin now doing that itself?