Damage... what can and can't be done and how?

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Kristoff Rand, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

:confused:

Damage... what can and can't be done and how? I'm not seeing a lot of damage in the sim so far, mainly things breaking off and catching on fire. I've seen allusion to a new damage paint layer, and some talk of damage on the tires but I believe it meant wear and not tear. so what can we do and how is it done?

animated blow outs? crumpled metal? metal tearing? parts coming half off?

2. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Currently we can do less than with rF1 (well, damage texture is kind of new, at least was not used a much in rF1 even there might have been something like that too) as I believe good deal of damage is disabled on purpose until they can finish that area of rF2.

It is possible to set parameters, but at the moment they don't have effect, so I guess it is better to wait month or two before looking into damage, or wait as long as they say that new update has damage enabled which may take even longer, it can be that it come last from everything, or it can be part of next update which may be a month away, there is not knowing.

That is what I have gathered from these boards and also my own conclusions, which of course may be faulty too.

I am looking very much of future improvements at this area as good damage is kind of my thing really :)

3. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

thanks for the info... I guess I'll hold off a little while... I haven't gotten anything converted yet but I'm excited about the damage and want to make sure any steps I can take no to make that a more seamless transition are done.

4. dano1990

dano1990 Registered

Would there be anyway of incorporating a damage system like the one from rigs of rods? cant remember what they call it but take a look on youtube for what im talking about if you dont already know.

5. RMachucaA

RMachucaA Registered

Unfortunately its not possible. The gmotor engine is very limited when it comes to damage. We will never get lfs\ROR damage where the axles can be moved or any extensive damage. Just simple mesh deformation and a few detachable body parts is all.

6. jtbo

jtbo Registered

rFactor 1 already has better damage than LFS if just modders use all possibilities, tire punctures are there, bending suspension, crumpled bodywork etc.

I think that only thing rFactor 2 is missing from that is vertex damage, it has been turned off at this stage of beta, but I think there is some improvements going on at this area and it is turned off to be made more ready until activated, but that is just my guessing.

Anyway damage was not used even nearly to extend what would have been possible in rF1, I hope that more modders pick up this aspect as it really changes way people race, when car takes only what it will take in reality. Jumping 50 meters should indeed have some consquences etc.

Once I set suspension so weak that driving at full speed at oval track made suspension to bend, car started pulling hard to side and wheel was clearly not straight anymore, just to tell what is possible.

I made even wheels so that they did bend on impact, but there engine would of needed bit more code as it has only visual meaning, I could even tune it so that if wheel was bend tire had puncture, but AI cars did not had punctures and wheels were still physically perfect and without damage.

So I think that there is much more possible that what one thought when driving ISI cars that came with rFactor1, might be same with rF2, but I think 60's cars do get bend wheels quite well, it probably will be quite bit better than with rFactor1, but only time will show.

What comes to Rigs of Rods, it would be really heavy thing to implement just for damage, those rods take some serious computing power to calculate. To get just damage there are lot of better ways to do it, rods are good for many things, but for race sim damage I think they are overkill.

7. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Yes. Capabilities of damage system in rF1 are not utilized in most mods as much as it can be. But there are a lot of missing things. For example to less elements may be a debris. Some objects like special objects for headlights, tail lights cannot be a debris.
    I also think that collisions are considered to support no energy absorption. That's why cars bounces against each other in unnatural way.
    But as you said, lot of mods has collision screwed up, even in range provided by rF1. There is often possible to hit a wall with 100kmph and continue race. I think any modder should watch a few crash test videos to see into what car does turn hitting obstacle with 50kmph

best regards

8. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I guess it is good to put this information here, this is what is possible in rF1, my proof of concept, so far from visually perfect but function is here the key:
    http://jtbo.pp.fi/tiedostot/rfactor/proper_damage.jpg

Here is document I made long time ago, I don't know how rF2 will be different, but so far I have not seen huge changes, except vertex damage being turned off and T2 texture layer for damage:
    http://jtbo.pp.fi/tiedostot/rfactor/rFactor_damage.html

Maybe some of that is useful in rF2 also, but to understand what was possible in rF1 there is some info and I think that rF2 will better in this area too, well I hope at least, bursting radiators and more debris objects would be very nice, we must just look and see what will come :)

9. mianiak

mianiak Registered

WOW! Very nice work :)