Dallara DW12 Indy car v1.63 (newly updated) Now Available

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, May 26, 2015.

1. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Are you forcing setup in the car tuning menu?

2. Nibo

Nibo Registered

Yes, forcing setup does not help.

3. matf1

matf1 Registered

It's a track thing. There is a ini file for forcing the road configuration included with this track. The order changed with this release so it's forcing oval for driver and AI instead of forcing RC like it was.
    It's a simple fix for Coutie but if you are comfortable to do so, you simply need to delete the ini file from the installed MAS and repack it

4. Nibo

Nibo Registered

Yes, its tracks vehicle config and wrong order, thanks.

5. aguy0523

aguy0523 Registered

This car is awesome. WOW. Love the cockpit view. Looks very realistic.

6. stonec

stonec Registered

Wheels produce more self-aligning torque with higher caster, explanation, which is why you get heavier FFB. The real setup of car probably has 6 caster, hence in the simulation too, because I think ISI uses real setup sheets as default setup for most cars.

All steering forces are relative, they depend on your wheel FFB engine max output, so you can't compare forces of different cars when you are limited by wheel tech. Why Palatov FFB is heavier is because it has a lower range of forces, in other words you are closer to the max available FFB torque in every corner. These formula/open wheel cars typically produce a lot more forces in high speed corners than low. To simulate that, low speed FFB will feel very light with most toy wheels.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2015
  7. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

The last cars which were released have a common mistake: the opponent filter is not working. This applies to the Cobra which have an opponent filter for SC and Comp as well as to the DW12 which have a filter for Chevy and Honda.

BTW: Why there are no filters for Oval, Indy 500, Road, etc for the DW12 configurations? Now we have to use the Force Setup button...

8. Nibo

Nibo Registered

Correct me if I`m wrong, but I think ISI should invert this "Force setup" behavior.

Now every time I choose some car I also must click on this button to ensure AI use the same config. But why not just make this happen by default. User selects upgrades - AI is automatically set to this upgrades. If for some reason this connection is not desirable - make a button "Unforce setup", thus allowing disconnecting users and AI`s configs.

Also some indicator of current state will be much appreciated. Now when I select a car I have no idea did I "Force setup"-ed this car-track combo in the past or not. And I end up going to Tuninig screen and pressing this "Force setup" button before every race, just to make sure.

9. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

It's the same old discussion repeated again. I have Fanatec hardware, which feels great with some cars and almost non-existent with others. I don't fiddle with FFB settings and get annoyed if a car has to be adjusted other than multiplier 1.0--mostly because the UI doesn't support a universal setting like it should.

The F2 feels like over-boosted power steering and little feel. And what is there, feels bad. The DW-12 feels much better, just way too light. Obviously other people are very impressed with the FFB on these two cars, but plenty of us are not.

My concern is exactly about consistency, which is why I mentioned the ISI comparisons in my post. So let's get to the brass tacks of this--maybe it will help to discover what's wrong with ISI cars and Fanatec hardware, or, that I have something wrong with my otherwise default set-up.

1) Should a DW-12 have heavier steering effort than a Clio or a Honda NSX road car? Before answering, in case you are unaware, you may want to read the following:

http://www.gordonkirby.com/categories/columns/theway/2014/the_way_it_is_no426.html

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/02/breaking-down-chevrolets-2015-indycar-aero-kit/

2) With everything at default settings and default garage set-up, does the rF2 DW-12 have heavier steering effort than the rF2 Clio or rF2 NSX.

3) Does caster in the real DW-12 make such a dramatic difference in steering weight?

My answers are yes, a resounding no and a I highly doubt it--because otherwise the steering weight issues in the articles above could just be resolved away with a quick caster adjustment.

There is no consistency--for me. I look forward to finding out if I am an anomaly or not.

10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

+1

And forcing set-up also means you can't have the obvious mix of engines that you would normally want in a series like this, since engine type is one of the user-controlled tuning options.

11. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Not quite. The max FFB in the DW-12 is still much lower than the Palatov on my rig. And if what you are saying is true, that the highest forces are so high that our toys can't handle it, then a non-linear force curve should be used so that it doesn't feel artificially limp the 99% of the time we are racing at less than the maximum force settings.

12. yusupov

yusupov Registered

i think i set the ffb to 2x or even higher...tbh id be surprised if im getting bad clipping. i could probably notch it down some but not much....ill have to do a check now. im doing road config, trying to finally crack silverstone, hardly doing 225 on ovals, so it might be conservative depending on where youre driving.

but i agree marc it seems like something is off to me, & i wonder if caster is 6 on road setups, seems impossible if it feels as it does in the sim.

13. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Actually no, you shouldn't need to at all. For over a year the right car type is supposed to have been chosen for tracks. On ISI tracks you should not need to force anything. Is this not working for you?

Now the road config will load by default on third party tracks where a track type isn't loaded. You'd only need to force setup on third party ovals which don't have a track type configured.

14. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I don't think you are, but it is a decision we have to make that you don't agree with. That's OK. Just up the strength, but be aware that towards max output you're going to flatline and lose something/anything clipped. And yes, I know it could be annoying to do that.

15. yusupov

yusupov Registered

well just checked & my settings are fine for silverstone. fwiw i dont find it annoying at all to config force for each car, im just surprised at the clipping remark, but again im not doing ultra high-speed turns so its different.

off that topic it seems i was using the wrong wheelbase, i thought one said it was for road course but re-reading im not 100% clear, i used the default 118" & the car felt quite a bit more alive to me? could be imagination or me still ticking random things whenever i setup the car.

16. Nibo

Nibo Registered

Tim, maybe it was misleading to write it here, but I wasn`t talking about DW12. I was talking about all cars and particularly cases like AC427, when if I want my AI competitors to use Competition or Street tires, I must force it by clicking button every time.

17. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

That is also the reason why I prefer the opponent filter. Works like a charm since rF1, I really do not understand why this Force Setup thing is necessary?

18. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

The upgrade package must have a new name. I'll update it.

19. Sderenno

Sderenno Registered

However, DW12 is a Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Content

20. Yoeri Gijsen

Yoeri Gijsen Registered

I was going through making setups with the DW12 and I noticed that ride height data in the telemetry is no longer put out with the 1.62 version. Are there any plans for reintroducing the data output, or will it stay like it currently is?