D3D9.DLL Convert to D3D11.DLL?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Steven Luppino, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Steven Luppino

Steven Luppino Registered

Hi everyone,

I was wondering because I thought I read about it in a post that you could convert d3d9.dll files d3d11.dll ones if you could. With not that many plugins out for the dx11 RF2, one kind of gets desperate for some. If it was possible to use the ones from the dx9 RF2 by converting the d3d9.dll files was what I wanted to find out. I don't know much about what purpose they serve, so if the question is unreasonable don't bother with a response.

2. Goanna

Goanna Registered

From what I gather S397 have not released anything on the dx11 plugin makeup, so if it is possible to convert the d3d9 dll to a dx11 standard they still won't work until S397 informs us what has been opened up in the dx11 API.
    Well that's my understanding of the situation, could be wrong though (has been known to happen :D)

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

? Are you sure that's what you mean?

I don't know about 'converting' dx9 to dx11 when it comes to injection, but it's entirely separate to S397 support via the plugin interface. So unlike the interface it's probably possible, but I couldn't say how feasible it would be. A guess would be 'not very'.

4. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

And I would say if it was possible, or at least somewhat doable, it would've been done by now.

5. Depco

Depco Registered

Marcel said in his interview that they have not opened the dx11 API for plug-ins. He said that it was too dangerous and that they wanted to find some other solution rather than opening up the entire dx11 interface.

So while I'm sure they could convert the dx9 programs and plugins to a dx11 version it still would not work with the dx11 version of rfactor 2.

6. Skan

Skan Registered

If you are asking if you can simply rename the file... no. Renaming that .dll file will, I repeat will, mess at least one thing up. What that one thing is and the errors that follow are up to your machine. That is if your machine even lets you do that. That also is dependent on something else, in this case how windows is configured. Leave the .dll files names alone.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Let's be clear here. d3d9.dll has nothing to do with the plugin interface.

Trackmap, and presumably some other plugins, don't use the interface. It wasn't available when those plugins were made.

S397 not providing a dx11 interface doesn't stop someone using DX injection to draw on screen. And, maybe it's possible to use a custom d3d9 file to inject/convert dx9 plugins into dx11. But it would be far from trivial, and I'd imagine even more prone to issues than injection already is.

It seems a shame S397 couldn't provide an interface for dx11 at least temporarily, especially as using the interface in dx9 seems to cause no issues (trackmap was cited as a possible cause of crashes/freezes, but it doesn't use the interface). But that's what we've got, and hopefully soon the new UI/HUD system will provide more functionality out of the box, and allow third party stuff as well.