Custom Vehicle Updates/Versions

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Sachmo, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Sachmo

Sachmo Registered

Hi all,

Having trouble with applying a 'New Component Package' update to an existing mod. The mod is 3rd party/not one I created and is at version '1.00'.

When I package a MAS file containing Skin/Livery updates I create a 'New Component Package' giving it a Version number '1.01', and tick that its an 'Update from' version '1.00'. This works!

My problem occurs when I try to then release a second update which has extra livery changes within it (v1.02). When I deploy the update ModMgr shows the progress bar as expected as it applies the update, but afterwards the version in ModMgr remains at the previous version (doesn't show v1.02). No error message is shown. When I look at the file details shown in ModMgr they are the old version (not the v1.02 file), and when I run rFactor 2 it does not show the updated (v1.02) skins. Can anyone advise what I might be doing wrong?

For v1.02... I've set the 'Update from' field to both '1.01', and also tried '1.00'.

The combinations I can get to work are highlighted in the attached image in green. The combinations I can't get to work are in red. I'd like to be able to apply the 1.02 update without having my friends have to uninstall v1.01 first... its a pain every time we release a new version... would be good for the new version to be cumulative...

Thanks in advance for any advice!

The first 'red' v1.02 package below represents when I have just included the delta from v1.01 in the MAS and Package. The second red v1.02 package below represents when I've included both v1.01 and v1.02 changes in the v1.02 package. Neither works.

The only way I can get v1.02 to work is if I include all changes in the package since v1.00 - and if I ask my friends to uninstall and delete v1.01 before applying that full v1.02 package.

upload_2021-7-18_14-0-39.png

2. redapg

redapg Registered

You can not update a Skin Update with another Skin Update and get both working.
    And you have given the Answer already. ;)
    The proper Way to do it, is this:

Sachmo likes this.
  3. Sachmo

Sachmo Registered

Thanks @redapg,

Having the flexibility of v1.00, v1.01, and v1.02 all available simultaneously, depending on the Multiplayer Server that's started, would be ideal. But if it changes things (which it doesn't seem it will) I'm not after getting multiple working simultaneously... just that (like in the second last scenario of my diagram), I can append a minor update onto the existing one, and when I start a Server using the latest version (i.e. v1.02), anyone with v1.00 who joins, and similarly for anyone with v1.01 that joins, will receive whatever updates are necessary to get to v1.02. From your answer it seems while an 'Update from' option is available, it only works with versions from the base/original mod, not custom one's you've added since.

That's a pity. Compounded since the Command Line Interface command for uninstalling a mod doesn't work either... if it did it at least it would be simple to provide players with a script that would uninstall conflicting existing mods, tracks, vehicles, etc... delete anything that needs to be removed from the Packages folder... so with a double click of a batch file they'd be ready to join your multiplayer session.

For friends who like to join in for a bit of racing fun occasionally they'll have to learn more about the tooling for rFactor 2 than I'd hoped.

Thanks again for your response, appreciated!

4. Sachmo

Sachmo Registered

5. redapg

redapg Registered

@Sachmo The "Problem" with Updates is, that you have to have a complete Package of a working Car.
    That means: If you create a Skin Update for Example, you use the base Mod, that includes the old Skins and also the Physics and Sounds ... as "update from" (or only the encrypted Part, with the Physics, Sounds.., if it's a DLC).
    That works.
    But if you now create an new Update, with some more Skins and use the first Skin Update as "update from", it won't work, because you only have Skins, but no Physics, Sounds...
    And if you again, for the 2nd Skin Update, use the original Mod as "update from", one of the 2 Skin Updates will be ignored.
    Unfortunately there is no perfect Method to handle that, yet.
    But maybe one Day.... :)

Sachmo likes this.