Custom skin constantly loading and forcing upload bandwidth to maximum

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Tarquin, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Tarquin

Tarquin Registered

New 590 Build has not rectified my issue - as I was so hoping it would. I did an in-game upgrade, and have now done a complete wipe and full 1.5Gb re-install of Build 590, and the issue still remains.

Reference for previous comments - http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...lternate-skins?p=244266&viewfull=1#post244266

If I do not run a personal custom skin, all functions are normal on all servers - I will download other custom skins, as per normal, and I can see my DL and UL bandwidths working when DL'ing skins. Once complete, they become normal and nominal with Pings around 25-80ms. New Skin Transfer button just causes them all to be DL'ed again. Once DL's are finished I can see my network drop to normal rF2 online running.

When I change to use a custom skin, as soon as a join any server, my upload bandwidth is forced to go to maximum - I can see from my resource statistics, that rF2 is uploading at over 350+kbits/sec (instead of around under 100kbits/sec), and is in turn making my Ping go to 700-1000+ms while this is happening. Flow on effect is that it drags the whole server down with me for everyone else running, and instead of low pings for us all, all drivers have 400-500+ms Pings and I'm up around 1000ms.

Even once the other cars have finished DL'ing my custom skin (they have green box for me), my Upload connection remains at this maximum amount, and the square box against my name is constantly red or gray, denoting that it is still be uploaded. If I use the Skin Transfer button now, it just DL's the others skins again, and I can the other drivers pick up my skin again.... UL bandwidth remains at the constant maximum.

We did some further testing and found that if I stayed out on track doing some laps, then the Upload did eventually stabilise back to normal again - but did cycle and spike back up again after a few minutes. Each time the Pings went up and down to match the bandwidth usage. :(

100% of the time, if I exited the track to return to the pits, the Upload bandwidth again spiked up to maximum.

Also -
    Even after I quit the game, my resource monitor still shows rF2 running and uploading at the same maximum amount - for 5-10 minutes after rF2 has closed. Sometimes it goes away by itself, sometimes I have to force stop the rF2.exe via task manager, and sometimes I get a 'rF2 has crashed' dialogue box (even though it seemed to exit and closed correctly). If I then 'end program' via that dialogue box, the uploading is cutoff immediately.

I am a car painter, and this is becoming a nightmare not being able to drive any of my creations on track. Other drivers are using my skins without any issue, so its not skin related (as far as I can tell).

Can anyone PLEASE give me some options to make this go away?! :(:(:(

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2014
  2. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

How is your game installed?
    Do you have the datapath to documents as by default or did you change it manually to go into the main rf2 folder?

I've been told it can make a difference with skins, when having the userdata folder in documents (separate from the main install) then oddities seem to arrive.

Its just a guess but it would explain the excessive data increase because I think when a server is setup to allow skins and it doesn't work the server keeps on trying. And if so it would be even more troublesome if multiple drivers (or all) are having the same issue.

3. Tarquin

Tarquin Registered

Mine is currently set with the files in the default documents folder.... yes. Drivers on the servers are DL'ing my skin, and can see it in-game.... Just seems like my connection is permanently trying to upload it, and then at a maximum rate (which is odd in itself).

Thanks - I might try to re-install them into the main rF2 directory. Need to try anything at this stage.

4. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Not sure but I don't think you need to re-install for that. There's a data path changer in the launcher. dunno if you have to copy/paste the directory into rf2 first though, and then set the path, never tried it like that.

5. MikeZ

MikeZ Registered

There are two known skin transfer bugs in the latest release: 1) the server never registers uploaded skins, so he sends an upload request to the client every time that client joins with a custom skin. 2) clients never trigger the vehicle reload once they successfully download a skin.

Sorry for the step backwards in this area. We recently changed the underlying file transfer libraries and the process was somewhat akin to replacing the carpeting in a room without moving any of the furniture out. Getting this sorted out for the next release is my primary objective.

6. Tarquin

Tarquin Registered

Thanks MikeZ - Hopefully this is related to the cause of my issue. :rolleyes:

My issue started either around the 494 Build or before - around the time of the BTCC Civic release. I know this because my issue only seemed to start around the time I was completing my 5Zigen Civic skin and had gone to test it....

7. Tarquin

Tarquin Registered

Just to note 660 Build has not changed/fixed this issue of mine - :(

I note that some of the skin transfer system was turned off in for this recent build, but there must be something still running.... Ref -http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/19563-Other-drivers-skins-dont-load-in-lastest-builds

Only other evidence to note and assist is that when NOT running a custom skin, I have 1x TCP connection to the game server. When I DO run a custom skin, I have x4-5 TCP connections to the game server, on different remote ports - all with a maximum upload capacity.

8. Tarquin

Tarquin Registered

Bump -

So I've now performed numerous re-installations into different directories, same directories, on different drives and split across the 'default' directory settings - I've used Full content and lite releases of build 590 and 660...

Every time I am still getting issues with my skin uploading constantly to the game server (I have a red box next to my name most of the time). Other racers can DL my skin fine, and can view it in game....

I can see my internet upload connection get maxed out when it is transferring (much higher than just a normal skin upload for anyone else). If I go out on track, sometimes the upload will stop for a period of time, and my Pings will stabilise again, but as soon as I exit to the pits, the upload to the server just begins all over again....

Worst part is that while it is doing this upload issue, the drag on the server is huge and every racer's ping becomes effected, not just my own....

Could it be corrupted player.plr or mutliplayer.ini files? I have been copying them back after re-installs for my settings to remain, but I can't seem to find any 'settings' or options within the files to highlight an issue like this.

Can anyone help me !! This is getting beyond a joke. Please....!!?

Happy to connect to an ISI game server if any ISI admin wants to monitor what's going on when I'm connected to a server... From my league racing they seem to see many TCP connections from me to the server, using huge connection variables....

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2014