Curved screens DIY

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1959nikos, Aug 20, 2012.

1. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I suppose it costs 10k? You can buy a fairly recent full blown 911 for 25k nowdays here :)

2. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

While doing some lazy research, I found out that most standard projector lenses are close to 1:1.
    That means that distance of projector to screen, equals width of screen.
    In my case, 3m screen at 180deg, has width of 2m, so projector must go back 2m.
    But 2m back from what? Center of screen with edges of screen have 1m difference.

Hope search will give an answer.

3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hi

There are fairly decently priced, the laser full HD ones are carrying an extra uplift in cost right now due to being the first laser/led hybrid to get to full HD about €2000 each, by the time they go 3d hopefully they'll be a few on the market & after 1st 6 months they'll most lightly reduce in price, I'll buy x3 when they hit €1500 each ( full HD 3d ) hopefully next year but could be the next year depends on how fast the technology is moving, this would be the ultimate home simulator screen system IMO

Currently using 3x 3D 27" monitor

If you use 2d then come January (or even sooner)there will be a good choice at a cheaper price than above

I don't use 2d anymore so I have to be patient waiting for the right projectors

1 person likes this.
  4. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Hey, nice info, thanks :)

5. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

So...as Adrian informs, you can buy a second hand 1080p nowdays, and by the time its bulb will be dead, you can buy a laser one for a ridiculous price.
    Future looks...bright :)

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I use a projector for movies, I will not own another conventional bulb type again (happy with it but I know it's bulb method quickly becoming old technology )

Re.curved screens etc, with 3d one dosnt even see the screen , one is looking through a window into a 3d world
    ( unlike 2d where we stare at a flat screen ), 3d laser/led hybrid x3 projectors will be the ultimate setup .....can't wait!

7. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Are you sure? Ive seen 3d lately from large screens and it doesnt look like you could see 180deg.

8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

The aspect of resolution ( how much up to accross ) which depends on your resolution setting & aspect of projector/monitor

Together with the sim FOV software setting ( which has to be correctly set based on the above & viewing distance )

Dictate's how much periphery vision one see's

I can see the point for a curved screen if one has a very large FOV (assuming its correctly set) in 2d

But 3d wouldn't really need it, the 3d depth field (this is adjustable ) will make side objects closer to you (the objects that should be) than the screen itself, a nicely setup 3d system is unbeatable for sim racing

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

My plan when I go large screens (projection) is place the screens at front base of my simrig the 2 sides will angle in

I'll set it up to 1:1 , with correct screen sizes etc, sim set to wheels & suspension view only (half way down bonnet for closed cars)

10. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

So, you are still talking about screens (plural). My objective is to have seemless surroundings, i.e. curved screen.

11. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

For use with a single projector you will definitely require a wide angle lens. To what extent the angle has to be I have no idea, but I am sure there is a way to calculate it.

I am with you on the idea of having a curved seamless screen with triple projectors to display on them. Should be able to achieve 180 degree horizontal FOV that way.

12. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

This is my cockpit with 3screen(wip)GT-style(I made a lot of research about GT-FIA and supergt cockpit misurament).I use a 60° angle because it gives you the most realistic view,
    [​IMG]

13. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Nice cockpit indeed. Thats a 120deg cockpit. Thats my second best choice if 180deg seems impossible.

14. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Sure makes my home built cockpit look like crap, LoL :)

15. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2012
  16. martymoose

martymoose Registered

What 3d method do these projectors use? Is it polarized or active shutters? Do they accept 120p input or is it like most hdtv's that only take 60p hd input turning 3d into 30p per eye, thats fine for movies but gaming you want 60p or more per eye.

Best 3d projection setups I have seen in the past were 2 projectors with polarized filters projecting onto a single screen using polarized glasses. IThis is how most 3d cinemas are setup but they could be a single dual output projector too. I havent looked into them for a while and have a 3d plasma which is great for movies but 60p 1080p input limit isnt ideal for gaming.

I have always been intending to get a good 3d projector at some point but just havent got much beyond a distant plan yet.

17. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

The software you linked is definitely not freeware :) You can download a trial version, but not sure about application as they say that you can modify the program to suit your needs once you buy it. The price you ask? Only a mere $60,000 US dollars. heheh. Cheap at twice the cost. :)

18. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Well, thats what Ive seen too, $60.000, a true bargain...

19. modmate

modmate Registered

hey,

Dont know if it was mentioned, but you can get a REALLY great immersion even with a single monitor and the mathematical correct FOV and distances. Have a look at this pic:

View attachment 3732

Its a single projector setup. The wheel is 40mm away from the screen wich is also diy. That ssetup is made by Remco HItman and i follow his setup along time. There are several videos from him showing different type of cars. He is a real pro simracer like you may imagine if you see he is driving with a bodnar wheel.

Ive played around some month ago with a similar setup just to see how it feels, and what can i say, THATS immersion!
    No tripplescreen setup can top that, its just great and also verry easy to build with low costs.

Greets Modmate

20. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

impressive idea!

Whats the screen material modmate?
    Details of projector?
    Distance of projector from screen?