Cross-eyed in VR

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by aleph99, Dec 24, 2018.

1. aleph99

aleph99 Registered

I am having a weird problem that prevents me from using RF2 with VR. I own a Lenovo Explorer set, fast computer and 1080ti board. I have no performance problems at all, either with RF2 or with any other game. However, when using VR I see TWO images slightly offset from each other, particularly at mid-to-long range - say, when looking at the curve apex. The issue also affect the game's menus; I have to close one eye to be able to see what is written. At close distance - car dashboard, the road right ahead - all is fine.

This issue only happens with RF2, not with other racing titles like AC or Project Cars 2, nor with any other VR game. Apparently the two images are being drawn too far apart to give a proper illusion of depth. Tweaking the eye distance setting in the Windows driver won't help. I also tried to download the DX11 Open Beta version of RF2, as instructed in Studio 397's VR announcement from 2017, but that didn't work either. I guess this is no long required, so I am back to the regular version.

Any hints? Is there any parameter in the game itself that could perhaps be used to tune the stereo effect, similarly to what is offered in 3D TV sets?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  2. aleph99

aleph99 Registered

I realize this is an unusual issue, but unfortunately it makes rFactor 2 unplayable in VR for me. I even tried reinstalling the program, but the problem persists. I had purchased some DLCs and was planning to give RF2 a new try, but, given the lack of a solution, I will have to shelve it for now. (Again: my Lenovo set works perfectly with other sims, like AC and PC2.)

3. lagg

lagg Registered

Your problem is really strange.
    I've had the Lenovo Explorer without any problem. And some friends.in our league use it aalmost every day without problems.
    I don't know if you yould get some help in the Lenovo forum

4. I do have a Lenovo Explorer headset and haven't really come across that kind of problem. Is this problem in RF2 only or do you have similar issues in other games?
    If you do you could change/calibrate in Windows settings for Mixed Reality for to better suit your eyes. Hope it works out for you.

upload_2018-12-30_16-28-31.png

5. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I had a similar issue when I tried using revive to run Oculus games with the Odyssey+; the vision was just wrong - cross-eyed is the best way to describe it. I never did solve it but, both the Odyssey and Rift worked normally (vision-wise) with rF2 for me. It seems something is likely interfering with the proper view in your case and the L/R views are not syncing properly. Double-check all settings and then look for anything outside of the essential WMR pathway than could influence the results.

6. aleph99

aleph99 Registered

Thank you @Lars Rystedt. I did try calibrating eye separation, but that didn't solve the problem. In fact, there is no blurriness at all (aside from the normal blurriness that comes with VR). I can play other games normally. At first I thought it could be a speed effect, but I tried similar vehicles in Project Cars and AC and all is fine. And there is also the fact that it affects - pretty seriously - the menus, which are static. The issue happens ONLY with rFactor.

Thanks, @RaceNut. I have bought some DLCs and I'm anxiously waiting for the Automobilista DLC, so I am invested in having VR working properly. I've already tried everything I could think of. I even contacted Lenovo & they told me it could be a vision problem (incapacity to adapt to VR), but, since everything else works fine, I think we can rule that out. I will now try to plug the Lenovo into a friend's computer to see if the issue with rFactor remains.

7. alen55vespista

alen55vespista Registered

hi,@aleph99 , I have Samsung Odyssey + I have the same problem, with other sims it works perfectly, with Rf2 I can't even watch it for more than 2 seconds, my eyes cross and I can't solve. did you succeed?

8. aleph99

aleph99 Registered

Unfortunately, not. I just gave rF2 up and turned to Project Cars 2, which works flawlessly. I think we can rule out an adaptation problem, as other games work fine with VR. Perhaps the two images in rF2 are too far apart to create the illusion of depth. I though there would be some parameter to be tweaked on this regard, as even my 3D TV allows such adjustment, but apparently there isn't.

9. JerryVR

JerryVR Registered

I have a pimax, and have the same problem as you describe, i can solve it by adjusting the “parallel projection” in the pitool menu from pimax.. i don’t know if your program has that option too

10. alen55vespista

alen55vespista Registered

thx's a lot jerryvr
    thx's alot...jerryvr... now i can play rfactor2...