SOLVED Creative Windows Process

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Mark Fuller, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

In need of some help - I ran Black Viper's program on my PC [choosing the 'Safe' option]. Seems that my Creative software has been turned off as a result. Have looked through the services on my PC and cannot identify the issue. Anyone know if there is a service I should re-enable, or should I reinstall the software or re-apply the back up that I made before running the script? TIA

2. ceecee

ceecee Registered

First try reinstalling the software and restarting the computer.
    If this does not solve the problem then re-apply the backup or use a Windows Restore Point.

3. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

Tried to re-install the software, but I get the following error message - "Setup is unable to detect a supported product on your system".

4. ceecee

ceecee Registered

By mentioning Creative software, I take it you have a Creative sound card ?
    Then best to restore your computer to an earlier date (prior to the Black Viper change) using a Windows System Restore Point.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  5. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

Have just done so and it allowed me to repair the software, but the Creative Sound device does not show anywhere. It is an on-board sound device and I am wondering if the device has stopped working, gone kaput!

I can get sound out of the Rift headphones and the monitor connected to my system.

6. ceecee

ceecee Registered

If the Creative is an onboard audio chip then this is probably your only source of sound.
    Because you have audio on the Rift and on the monitor, this is the source of the sound so this is not broken.
    Not knowing your hardware specs remains a problem.
    Have not used Creative for quite some years now, the audio chips were always okay but the supplied software was another question.
    What software in particular are you having problems with ?
    Can you post your specs on your profile (mainboard model most important and if you have any external audio devices (probably not).
    If not sure what to post then look at my profile.
    Black Viper configurations will not break anything but will turn off many Windows services.

7. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

My MOBO is a Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z87 v1.1 which I believe has the Creative Sound Core 3D Chipset. I do not use external devices. I have restored my system to before I applied the Black Viper script and the Creative Does not show up in the Device Manager - I just get the Nvidia high Definition [through the monitor] and the Rift headphones.

8. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Ok, nice board !
    Have you reinstalled the Creative Audio driver ?
    https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/G1Sniper-Z87-rev-11#support-dl-driver-audio
    Reading around online, this is not a new problem for this chipset. (supported devices not found message).
    Most solutions involved disconnecting all audio using devices (obviously not your monitor which I believe is connected by HDMI)
    First uninstall the Creative software, restart the PC and then reinstall the Creative audio driver , once working again then you can reconnect the Rift.
    Others said to update the BIOS to F4.
    Judging by the chipset specs, this is a kind of a soft-audio chip, partly hardware and mainly software.

9. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

@ceecee Thanks for your help with this. Will have to continue on Tuesday now as full day at work tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes :)

10. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Sure, here Sunday night is rapidly disolving as well.
    Will continue to scout around but a lot of people online gave up and bought a dedicated audio card. (problem is well documented with a lack of solutions).
    Seems to be definitely software and if one can locate the correct cleaning and reinstallation procedure, replacement will not be necessary.
    Keep me informed if you can ;)

11. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

Well, it seems that I have inadvertently done what you recommended above! Had an old SB Audigy 2 PCi card lying around, so disconnected everything, put it in and when I put it all back together again, the on-board sound was sitting there smugly o_O

So, thanks again. I've learnt a lot today, but wasted several hours [that's computing for you!!]

12. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Great !
    In the meantime I found this :
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ed-after/237d989a-d1bb-4f0a-9144-d7762f33d000
    Apparently the nVidia updates uninstalls the Creative drivers.
    My GF thinks I wasted 25 years on these kind of problems too but it is my job and still pays the rent :D