Creating an update to a track - doubles the track list entries but doesn't work

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by ethone, Jul 5, 2012.

1. ethone

ethone Registered

Track update doesn't work. Repacked the layout files since I updated only the AIWs, packed it into 1.02 that has "Update from 1.01" checked. 1.01 runs fine, I install (through the mod manager right click -> update) 1.02 and the track list entries get doubled. However the new AIWs from the update file are not used and all the errors I fixed in them are still present.

2. ethone

ethone Registered

Here is my update-version of 1.02 in case someone wishes to see if I made any sort of mistake:
    http://www.trackcreation.net/files/HPTopeka_v102.zip
    [If you're just looking to update your track don't bother, it won't work, that's the point of this thread :)]

The full-version 1.01 to be updated is here: http://www.trackcreation.net/files/HPTopeka_v101.zip

The easiest to spot AI error is with the Intermediate configuration where the AI slows down significantly shortly before the s/f line. That one is fixed in the 1.02 AIW (and tested with a full-version build of 1.02) yet still appears when installed v1.02 through the update-version build.

3. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Can you enlighten me how you get updates to work?

I'm still struggling big time with correct update component creation process... (just like your first post).

Cheers!

4. ethone

ethone Registered

I haven't gotten it to work, that is the point. :)

Technically you create the updated/additional .mas files, pack it up like you would a full version component but only select the updated/additional .mas files and check the "Update from:" tickbox and enter the version number you're updating from (while that version is installed).
    Or so I believe, maybe I missed a step somewhere. I did check the packaging .pdf and Scott's video though, and the update does package and I can use the update function from the mod manager - so I currently don't know what went wrong.

5. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Yeah, same story here. Basically update works (correct file structure after install etc.), but some reason rF2 always ignores all updated files and uses "old" ones.

I wish devs could comment, if this is build 90 problem or are we doing something wrong. I hate to release "updates" which actually are full track components... :)

Only difference between Scotts video and ISI's Packaging documentation is name of update mas. Packaging tutorial talks about "trackname_updateV#.mas" and Scotts video "Mills_v11_Update.mas". Either way, rF2 ignores updated files.

On Scotts video he adds new layout to the Mills, so we have to believe that layout specific files can be updated, but you need to create full layout mas with non-updated files as well (like Packaging Tutorial advices).

I really think we are doing something wrong, because ISI's Build 90 component updates work, but ours doesn't...:)

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2012
  6. ethone

ethone Registered

I've had another issue crop up that's perhaps related - I had a new .dds file purely for testing a different styled guardrail in my Fuji2012GT.mas file. It however also got loaded for Fuji2012 Grand Prix. The .scn for Fuji GP had no reference to the GT layout. So I suspect there is something amiss with where build 90 takes its files from.