Create new physics for existing car for new mod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by lstinziano, Feb 21, 2021.

1. lstinziano

lstinziano Registered

Hello guys, I'd like to modify the physics file of a mod I downloaded through the Steam Workshop for a league I'm intending to start. Is it possible to keep using the original 3d models of that original file and I make a new download just with the minor physics change I'm intending to use and the league's skinpack ? That way my mod would be just the new physics and the skinpack; that would complement the original 3d models

Or, to make it more simple: Which other way to reduce the size of a car's fuel tank without alterating it's fuel consumption ratio ? I don't want to touch the original physics to avoid making the mod uncompatible with other servers that use the original mod.

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

yes you can alter the fuel tank size but only for non copy-protected cars. The DLC cars and most of the S397 content are locked so changes like that cannot be made. But other cars by 3rd party modders are often open and able to be changed. But when you make a change, even as simple as a fuel tank size, you are altering the car and it would fail the Server inspection. If the server has a pristine car, you must join with the same un-altered car. Offline....no problem.

3. lstinziano

lstinziano Registered

Thank you. Yeah, it's a third party car. I was asking if it was possible to create a new physics file, without altering the original, to avoid failing inspection in case some member wants to join another server with the original car

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

If you want the original and modified mods to be run on the same server you would need to make an update which creates a new car with adjusted physics. This could be just vehicle files which point to edited gen and hdv files.

5. lagg

lagg Registered

You can make an update of the car with the new physics.
    In this way both versions remain installed and the member can enter in servers with different versions.
    Try not to use the same logic as the creator of the car, to avoid that a future version of the original car has the same version as yours.
    If the original car has the 1.3 version, you can create the version 1.3001 or 1.3lstinziano (for example).

lstinziano likes this.
  6. lstinziano

lstinziano Registered

My idea is to use this mod that has a 120 liter fuel tank and limit it to around 70 liters, to create the need for pitstops in the shorter races I'm planning. I want to do this instead of just incresing the fuel consumption rate because my OCD doesn't like to have unrealistic fuel numbers like using 12 liters per lap on Laguna Seca, for example.

But I what I intend is to make an update as you say, vehicle files that point to the edited GEN and HDV files.

lagg likes this.
  7. Woodee

Woodee Registered

That would do it... I am unsure where the lines for fuel tank capacity in the HDV exist though.

8. lstinziano

lstinziano Registered

I will give the HDV a look. I never edited one, but back in my rF1 days I do recall opening these files, just to take a look at them. Hopefully I'll make it work. Thanks to everybody !

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  9. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yes you inevitably need to create whole new separate mod even with slightest modification to its files. By the way, it is highly useful to change "category" name in talent "VEH" files, so the mod will appear as different one and will not conflict with already existant one.

10. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

By the way... just learned today... You also have to rename files themselves in talents.