Crash when race is finished - animation issue?

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Coutie, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

I've got an issue with Barber Motorsports Park, when you finish the race, it will crash. It won't crash if you remove the corner workers, so I assume it has something to do with them. The corner workers all work correctly, showing the right flags at the right times, but when the first car crosses the finish line, the game will crash. Here's what the scn file looks like, where the animations are anyway. Any help would be great.

Here's a log file from when the game crashes: https://justpaste.it/kn4n

Instance=CornerWorker_000
    {
    MeshFile=CornerWorker_000.gmt CollTarget=False HATTarget=False ShadowCaster=(Static, Texture)
    AnimFile=CW_FLAGDOWN.ANM
    AnimFile=CW_FLAGHELD.ANM
    AnimFile=CW_FLAGWAVE.ANM
    AnimFile=CW_SAFETYCAR.ANM
    AnimFile=CW_VICTORY.ANM
    }

Instance=StarterWorker_000
    {
    MeshFile=StarterWorker_000.gmt CollTarget=False HATTarget=False ShadowCaster=(Static, Texture)
    AnimFile=CW_FLAGDOWN.ANM
    AnimFile=CW_FLAGHELD.ANM
    AnimFile=CW_FLAGWAVE.ANM
    AnimFile=CW_SAFETYCAR.ANM
    AnimFile=CW_VICTORY.ANM
    AnimFile=SW_PRESTART.ANM
    AnimFile=SW_START.ANM
    AnimFile=SW_VICTORY.ANM
    }

2. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Yes we had this. It happened at the end of a practice session the very second the clock ticks to zero, and also in race session the instant the leader the crosses the line. Many times. It definitely when the clock ticks zero/when leader crosses line. It did happen at Barber Motorsports Park and it happens at some other tracks too, but I am not sure which now. Not all tracks only some, not sure if it track related or not

3. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Looks like too many animation files are listed for the Starter Worker. Try this?
    Also, there is absolutely NO need to use Textured shadow casters for solid objects. The output is the same; just comes at a larger performance cost. And you may want to set ShadowGroups for your objects. That way people running lower shadow detail will regain some FPS ;) . Same with VisGroups (hide from mirror) ...

4. Coutie

Good catch, didn't even notice that. Thanks a lot!

5. Coutie

Still getting crashes. It doesn't happen every time though, but it didn't before either.

6. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

If it doesn't happen every time, then I'm not convinced that it is a track error.
    Are you running any plugins?

7. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Sorry for the off topic, but, when you say "there is absolutely NO need to use Textured shadow casters for solid objects" is it valid for cars?
    Do you have a clear description how/when to use ShadowCaster, ShadowReceiver, Reflet and their goal for cars elements to avoid FPS lost with wrong usage?

8. Coutie

Just the input detector one(don't know the name, shows brakes, throttle, steering). I'll upload it and let others test, then we'll know for sure.

Mad_King, I think you should only use textured if you have some transparency, like tree's or fences.

9. Coutie

Still crashing. I did three races, and one crashed at the end. Seems too random to be caused by something in the track, but maybe I'm wrong. Here's the log file, maybe there's something in it that will say something(I don't really know how to read it).

http://justpaste.it/ku98

10. matf1

matf1 Registered

Coutie, I've looked over the track a little and noticed the starterworker flag has anims set as 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0 whereas others I've checked have 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,0.
    This is in simed, as I've not started with anms in max yet.

I've no idea if this is even a problem but thought I'd mention it just in case.
    You tested before by removing workers, so I guess the question is, does it crash at all if workers are not included?

11. Coutie

It doesn't crash when they're all removed.

I'm just using the default materials that came with the marshals, so I'll check that right now.

Edit: The animation looks correct on my end, 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10

12. matf1

matf1 Registered

13. Coutie

It seems to work fine in dev mode, in the main game, I notice the animations are very slow, even delayed a bit. For example, the starter won't start waving the flag until the race is already started, and even then, the animation seems to be playing at one frame per five seconds.

14. Coutie

This is what it looks like on my end.
    [​IMG]

15. matf1

matf1 Registered

Ok, i'll dig a bit deeper when I get back home.
    I opened a bunch from other tracks and they all go to ten except for this one. I'd think re-exporting might be wise but then why does it import fine in max? Curious indeed.

16. Coutie

I removed all the corner workers and materials, and re-did all of them. Seems to be working now, I did three test races and had no crashes, which is more than I've been able to do before. The animations are still really slow, but maybe it's a game bug or something.

17. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

There is an issue with your max image. You have Frames = 10 but seq 0-10 = 11

18. Coutie

Ya, I've reset everything now. Hopefully it's all good.

19. matf1

matf1 Registered

Nice spot Nibiru, cross fingers that's the issue. We don't need Coutie being bogged down on such things when there is so much work to do :)