CPU Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by slow_duck, Nov 7, 2011.

1. the_last_name_left

the_last_name_left Registered

lol - skyrim performance is exactly as one might predict. They need to test cores vs clock rate, which they haven't done.

Great game btw. Am loving it.

2. Bty

Bty Registered

No need.

Check how AMD Phenom performs locking down cores. Going from 2 to 6 didn't make "almost" any difference. So all that is left is to increase clock rate to improve performance.

3. slow_duck

slow_duck Registered

I will use the advantage of my SSD. My question ist:
    Core AND Data File install on "C" (SSD)? Or Core on SSD and Data on HDD ?

cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2012
  4. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

Where have they mentioned that R Factor 2 will only use 2 cores? Just because 2 is in the reccomended requirements doesn't mean it won't use all 4 on a quad. Quad's are pretty standard nowadays so I'd be amazed if it doesn't use all 4.

5. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

Never mind, found my answer, really sucks, I don't see why it doesn't use as many cores as you can throw at it tbh.

6. MickeyMouse

MickeyMouse Registered

It's a tad more complicated then that. ;)

7. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

I never said it wasn't complicated but many modern applications use more than 2 cores. My as many cores as you can throw at it was a flippent comment, not to be taken litterally, as I didnt actually believe you could throw cores at a computer program, if you need that spelling out also. :)

8. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Well, when you put tbh at the end and no smilies you have to expect it to be taken seriously. :cool:

9. ethone

ethone Registered

You'll be hard pressed to find software that properly uses multithreading. I don't know of a single real-time physics engine that can multi-thread. In games the one thing you might find is putting different areas of the simulation on different cores. Have physics run on Core #1, Sound and other detachable stuff on Core #2.

Quad core being a de facto consumer standard doesn't help with the software technology so far not being able to make use of it.

10. MickeyMouse

MickeyMouse Registered

How easy it is to multithread a program depends on what it does. A program like 3DSMax is extremely easy by just splitting up the rendered image into buckets, a game however is a lot more complicated. It's largely a sequential operation. For example, the AI and sound require the physics to be finished, the physics requires the input to be finished, and the input requires the last frame to be finished. There just aren't that many places where you can do things concurrently.

11. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

rFactor 2 barely uses any CPU resources if you have a modern, multicore CPU.

12. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

That's why it's STRONGLY recommended to have at least dual core modern CPU? ;-)

13. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Modern can mean very different things from the viewpoints of a game company and an enthusiast. To the enthusiast anything older than Ivy Bridge isn't modern, even though it isn't released yet (woe is me with my puny Sandy Bridge). =)

14. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I heard intels ivy bridge is going to be as good as AMD's bulldozer. LOL.

15. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

For me, "modern dual core" means Clarkdale or newer from Intel and something between Brisbane and Regor (and newer of course) from AMD. And I'm enthusiast too :)