CPU maxed (purple bar full)

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Cloudhopper, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Yotan

Yotan Registered

My motherboad is "ASUS P8Z77-V PRO". But I think that motherboard is not the cause.
    My Wheel is SimuCUBE based OSW kit.

2. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Can be if USB 3.0 Internal Port Expansion Card for Mini PCI Express is used and your gfx card is running in PCI-E@3.0x8 which gives you higher CPU loads.

3. Yotan

Yotan Registered

Is there a way to check it?

4. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

5. Yotan

Yotan Registered

6. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Click ? right side of text: PCI-E 3.0 x 16 @x16 3.0 and run that prog./app to see.

7. Yotan

Yotan Registered

I think that my GPU is no problem, because the render test is for disabling power saving features.

8. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Yes but do you read on the button of that test that your PC is running in PCI-E@3.0 x 16 ?
    There is noway rFactor 2 bottlenecks I7-3770k it must be something else which you and OT has wrong with your PC`s. I have one older PC with I7 3770k and it is totally impossible for me to get so high CPU loads as OT has in his post #1.

9. Yotan

Yotan Registered

I linked the screenshot already, I seem that my PC is running in PCI-E@3.0 x 16 without pushing "?" button.
    What is OT?

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think he's suggesting the test/app in question might potentially show something different, which would indicate something that contributes to your issue.

OT I think he means OP - original poster in this thread.

11. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

@Yotan I think you should look bus loads, vram, pc ram etc. usage with MSI afterburner or some similar software. It is not possible that rF2 uses 100% CPU load when I7 3770k is used if everything is ok with your PC and OS.

12. Yotan

Yotan Registered

@Ari Antero In my case the CPU usage rate was not 100%, but it was very high and occasionally exceeded 100% during the race. The CPU usage rate fell already, after read this thread and change "Use thread" to true and "Use Additional Hardware Features" to false in controller.json. And it recur when restore "controller.json".

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  13. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

is there a utility that measures the throughput of the pcie busses? Could we find the sweet-spot or even the lowest acceptable rate by comparring our many many systems and motherboards?

14. Skan

Skan Registered

@davehenrie Even if 2 (non technical) people have the exact same pc, they will be different because of the (non technical) person in the chair. That alone would make what you are asking impossible especially when one of those 2 (exact hardware) pcs no longer work and the other works fine. It would also lead to people adjusting things in the bios that they do not understand thus creating a few expensive paperweights. Manually adjusting the clock speed of anything should never be done unless you know what you are doing or experimenting on a pc you no longer need. At the very least, you will have to understand the relationships between manually configured voltages and the power requirements of a manually configured cpu, manually configured ram and anything on that motherboard that interacts with those two hardware running outside of it's intended (default by the manufacturer for a reason) settings. I do not at all recommend this route.

bwana and davehenrie like this.
  15. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

MSI Afterburner has a counter that visualizes PCIE bus utilization. rF2 is surprisingly sensitive here, I am getting 5% FPS increase by forcing my system to go from 2.0 to 3.0. Usually, it only matters in SLI.

16. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

You thought this out faster and further than I did. I was aiming more at a measurment collection so we could purchase, in the future, or advise new users just what motherboard is best suited for rF2. Thanks for the reply!

17. Skan

Skan Registered

@davehenrie That's easy. What you want is at least the i5 from the 8th generation of intel processors. The highest of that 8th gen i5 lineup to be exact. You know you want to build a gaming rig so you will need a gaming motherboard. You will need gaming ram. If you are looking for a "hey, just buy this" that is not going to work either for reasons in the post above and because technology changes regardless of the pace at which people understand and accept it. Build 1109 is the newest build of rF2. Intel newest chips are the 8th gen. I'm not saying you need the newest rig but is that not the true answer if you want to play or simulate anything new?

18. toebee

toebee Registered

I didn't see it mentioned in this thread so forgive me if it was. One of the first things you should do if you are experiencing eradicate performance is to clear your cbash/shaders. Especially if you have gone from dx9 to dx11.

19. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

o_O

Usually it doesn't matter in SLI at all.

Here is a test I made with single gfx card when Zandvoort was released.
    Asus X99 WS-E/10G,
    CPU: i7-5960X@4.4Ghz,
    RAM: 64 GB Ripjaws 4@3000 CL15,
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SEA HAWK EK X
    Monitor resolution: 3440X1440

MClaren at Zandvoort and Silverstone,

Bus usage PCI-e@3.0 x16, left side is Zandvoort max 59%, right is Silverstone max 35%
    Bus usage.jpg

Bus usage PCI-e@2.0 x16, left side is Zandvoort Max 76%, right is Silverstone max 69%
    Bus usage PCIe_2.jpg

MClaren at Zandvoort:

PCI-e@3.0 x16 > 155-210 fps
    PCI-3x16.jpg

PCI-e@3.0 x8 (PCI-e@2.0 x16) > 115-165 fps
    PCI-3x8.jpg

5% :rolleyes: ?

20. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

There was little activity in the rFactor 2 multiplayer lobby yesterday evening. I wiped the dust from my old game PC with I7 3770k and made a test about CPU usage.
    Picture below is the highest CPU load with S397 GT3 power pack at Silverstone with 41 AI`s. Regular CPU usage was from 8-27% in my test.

I7 3770k.jpg

:)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017