Couple of suggested easy fixes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Christos Segkounas, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

1)So the Civic has 3 tire options, soft, medium and hard.
    Soft and hard (edit) bring out the best in the car and one can enjoy it from the very fist laps.
    The medium is abysmal.
    No words in no language can describe how garbage the medium compound is.
    If there exists a human being that can actually find a setup to make this POS tire work, well, no one cares.
    Because it is the default choice.
    So it's everyday that I see unknown people jump on the server to drive the Civic, lap 30 secs off the pace and disappear after 3 laps.
    Looking at them driving it's a familiar sight, big understeer from the first corner turning into unbearable understeer 3 corners later on melted rubber.
    I need not check the practice sheets to see which tire they used, I already know, it's the default one.
    Please S397, stop driving people away.
    Fix this thing.
    Either fix the tire, remove it altogether or just choose another compound as default, you are doing damage to the sim and yourselves.
    Pretty sure it's been mentioned before.
    But so much damage from such a simple thing to fix, why oh why...

2)Also pretty sure there had been a lot of complaints about the steering of the F2 resulting in changes being made.
    I had not really driven the F2 in the past, save for a few laps where I had no quarrel with the weighting of the steering, it's just the FFB felt real strange.
    Either way, I feel that,again,like in the Civic tire debacle, the default steering option is toss.
    I myself dismissed the F2 after a few laps as being something I never want to try again, until someone suggested I try the other option, "realistic" in the tuning menu..
    Night and day folks.
    Now why would I think that my opinion on the F2 should matter?
    Personally I found the "realistic" option steering to be in line with pretty much everything else we drive in
    RF2.
    The default option (new setting I suppose to please I do not know who) has absolutely no relation to anything I have ever driven this side of the universe.
    Plus we know it's not realistic.
    Interestingly, 3 different people took to the F2 for evaluation for a possible future OW series and we all came to the exact same conclusions.
    We all dismissed the car only to then drive the "realistic" option and conclude we actually want to race the thing.
    So make of this one what you want.
    I do not understand how a steering that is dead around center and then after a great while of turning suddenly starts to work so abruptly resulting in a nervous car during constant cornering is supposed to be desirable.

Fix both of these, either of these or none of these as you wish.
    Especially for the Civic I just had to say something, you have such a great car and are driving people away.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  2. jayarrbee36

jayarrbee36 Registered

A number of us discussed that on the car's latest release, the Medium tyre is indeed undrivable. Still hoping to see that issue fixed, but at least the car has tyre options that are usable right now, so not all is lost.

3. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Don't be surprised, it is a follow up to all those stupid things that helped RF2 be the success it is actually on the market, like track default for real road being green (which for a newbee was a recipe for disaster), lack of documentation, and many other things.
    Cheers.

4. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

What is that realistic setting you're on about,where is it

5. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

So damn true, it's ridiculous.
    Some decisions that come since ISI days and never made any sense. I get it guys that worked in ISI are now in S397 but maybe they needed a new leadership with more "outside" view, would help a lot to make these small but very important changes.

andrea_274, Juergen-BY and Jon like this.
  6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

That's why they later added default Rubber options (light, medium & heavy) to their tracks to appease the masses, so at least they eventually gave those people the option, it's not like they ignored it completely.

7. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Yeah but as far as I remember default is still set to green and this is a mistake for a new player if he'll click straight on the Race button to see how it feels first (and most people will do that anyway), chances to push them away doing that is far higher simply because they'll not understand.
    Inb4 "muh simulation" yeah yeah yeah, we all know that. But explaining people about track progress (and having it set to higher levels by default for the first time they drive) won't make rF2 arcade.

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Oh I agree we have to cater for the less intelligent, just like most things in life these days that need spelling out. The intelligent racer would understand that it's a green track and maybe look for an option to change or run a few laps to put rubber down. But Devs of all sims can't please everyone all the time so some people will find fault, so whilst yes it is like real life the option to include default rubber was welcomed.
    Anyway its in the past, it was rectified, most people are happy. :)

patchedupdemon likes this.
  9. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Oh I'm sorry Mr superior human being. I forgot in real life people jump in a F1 or GT3 car in the first day they show interest in racing without any kind of explanations, "driving" school or other lessons.
    God forbid having tools to help potential costumers and people initially interested in simracing, it must be a crime against the genre. :D
    No wonder it fails to get interest from people playing arcade racers... which are the closest people to actual sims than any other "gamer" group. Hopefully S397 is smarter than part of the users like these, geez.

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I'm not wrong though am I? ;) In todays game it doesn't take a genius to realise they can change the settings or rubber in the track themselves. We shouldn't continue the need to cater for the less intelligent just because they can't be arsed to look for something before going onto a forum and ranting about it, but unfortunately - like I said above - you can't please everyone, there will always be a Sim Racer with a reason to moan about something somewhere in the universe :D

Jon likes this.
  11. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

The lack of vision is disturbing.

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I've viewed it from both angles, you're the one unable to see it from both sides :)

patchedupdemon likes this.
  13. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

If that's how you look at both sides, good luck ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    The ones that really matters to understand are the devs, hopefully they do. In part the new ownership showed signs they do.
    The fun part about this...

Lgel and MarcG like this.
  14. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

The irony

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

We always see things differently, which is a good thing don't forget

Ari Antero likes this.
  16. filippu

filippu Registered

Thank god you're there to increase the intelligence level in here.

SPASKIS, Will Mazeo and Jon like this.
  17. Lgel

Lgel Registered

I am sorry to disagree with you, I have tested RF2 with several would be interested sim racers (interested in racing, in cars, some having raced motor bikes and cars).

You would be surprised how many of them were unable without any guidance to close one lap in the sim (with the game already installed and wheel configured).

Many of them had tried to run the demo version without any success.

The disbelief of the friend that was unable to change the brake balance of the car was to be seen, when I told him that this parameter was in the last page of the tuning menu, under advanced settings.

How many players are still unable to add a livery to the game?

Good software products on the market pass what is called usability tests, where developers observe reactions of new users to their products, and from experience gained, improve their products, I suppose RF2 usability tests have been done with people like you.

May be S397 will change this trend, but it is very late now, and other sims are also improving these days.

Cheers.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  18. Emery

Emery Registered

But only if you use scripted weather. Pick simple weather and you can't change realroad (grrrr!).

19. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Right! How hard it is to put small videos explaining stuff as simple as possible while loading a track? Kinda like the iRacing school video above. And when the loading is done, dont cut it, give a key for people to click and go to the track, after a few hours in game give players an option to not play it anymore
    Or how hard would be to build a few challenges people can take part like a driving school.
    Sims should build steps into simracing, not barriers to simracing!

Lgel likes this.
  20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I've also seen people struggle but also seen people get on with it just fine without any help, everyone is different. I agree I hope S397 do make things simpler in certain areas but there's a fear of catering to the Newbie/First time user too much. They can't make everything simple and easy as some people want, and nor should they IMO as that's time wasted. If it's all about first impressions well the UI is already getting changed we know that much, hopefully some things have been moved (like you mention the Brake Balance) to a more suitable area, time will tell.