'Could not connect to Matchmaker' fix.. :)

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Radar, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

Max,

First of all, thanks. Finally a response. I do not expect miracles as I said before, but a response is not that much to ask.
    I am confident we (and I am talking about the people involved with this issue) all can understand things have to be tested, as we do not want to be surprised with a new introduced issue. I can also understand that it's not you who can make a decision, but it has to be the Devs.

But as always, not saying anything will only frustrate people more. If there is no intent to respond, why not close this whole support forum section, and handle all issues via an unattended email account? Same idea, just drop the issue in, and wait and see if and when action is taken. Has the same amount of information supplied to the community, but is at least clear in expectations.....

rFactor2 is a fantastic product, even with it's current flaws in it. However, in terms of support, it's one of the worst products I have ever been involved in. Really terrible. (the fact that an internal tester has to make a reply because officials do not, only support my statement here imo).

Anyways, back on topic.

It would be awesome if we could have "just" the dedicated.exe file for now. To be honest, a whole new build immediately raises the question of new introduced issues (based on previous updates), so I rather have just the exe, and for ISI to make sure the new build is completely tested this time. But it's not my choice :). I just wait and see.

Let's hope something will be released shortly, as I am getting sick of keeping server windows open all day long.

2. Jeremy Miller

Jeremy Miller Former ISI Senior Programmer

I do my best to read as much as possible. We have people like Max, John B (and others I dont have time to mention) and that help with support. Tim does an excellent job with this as well.

I personally, have a app on my phone and I try to read as much as possible. I was at the dentist this AM when I saw this post and now I am in the office responding. The simple fact is I can read and either respond like this or do the work that corrects the issue at hand. I had hoped that a build would be out last week. However, this is software development. I am working on my on new system for ISI so make builds more easily and get them to our internal testers faster, As such we can possible have more builds that pass our relatively simple quality assurance test and get them to you.

However, I can understand your frustration with a lack of feed back directly from a programmer. Well I can kinda understand it... personally with all my techno gadgets and software I own; I cannot recall any direct access to any engineer that developed it -- but rFactor is an ISI product and we do our best to give our customer that access. A policy I fully support

As such I have recommitted myself to keeping my twitter feed as updated as possible. I hope that is satisfactory

Also as stated early in this thread (or some other thread) if you want to test the last dedicated server I have one a test build you are welcome to try. Please PM me for the URL as I am hosting the file on my personal server.

3. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

Jeremy,

Do not get me wrong here, this is not personal, and has nothing to do with you in person. Neither does it has to do with Tim in person, Gjon, or any other ISI employee. It was a general comment.

I am a supporter AND promotor of rfactor2, since day 1. As you can read both here on the forum, as on the Racedepartment forum, I have constantly defended ISI, and rfactor2, simply because I can agree with the thoughs, and product. Really believe it is fantastic. So don't get me wrong, I also support you guys in having this forum, and offering the option and policy for us to help assisting in the beta testing, and ask questions and help others out.

I also do not expect you to answer every question asked here, or respond to every topic and thread. Not for you, or for the others present here (including volunteers as JN, Max and the other "green" fellows). I appreciate their help, and agree with you they do a fabulous job on it.

However.
    Choosing this policy of a forum, and responding to some of the questions asked, also has a downside. It creates some form of expectations from the visitors, and some form of obligation for the ones behind it. Now, once more, I am not saying you should reply everywhere. However, the way (in general) responses are made here are not to be called superb. A lot of the times, even wrongly given information (with all the best in intents from the posters, they are just trying to help, and do not know they give wrong info) is not addressed. In case a discussion arises about a previously made post, and it becomes doubtfull which is the right way, an official answer is seldomly posted within a week time. Which makes threads derail even more, and answers being harder to find. I hope you understand what I mean, and do not take this personal. It's a comment to ISI, not to its employers.

I believe that, if I take a critical look at the threads here, a few items can be set as critical. With that, I mean that the impact of the issues addressed has a huge impact on the users and communities. A little extra attention for those threads would be welcome. The rest of the threads are either informational, or are addressed by the "green ones". So they can have less attention from the real ISI guys. When extra attention is needed there, the Green ones can call out for the red ones.
    Last there are the non-interesting (in a developers kind of view I mean, not the content itself) threads. They need just about no attention from development.

That way, it should be more easy to handle, and you should need less effort to keep on top of the important things, and everyone can do what they do best, making software in your case :p.

I am not trying to tell you what to do here, just posting my 2cents about it, as a rather experienced forum administrator and support coördinator. But lets get back on topic.

I will send you the PM for the .exe. Thanks very much for it. Will test it with the several servers we have running, and try to do some stress testing with my private server. I appologize if I misunderstood, and could/should have send you the PM a week back orso....

Ow, and thanks for taking the time to make the post above. It's appreciated!

4. Paul Swire

Paul Swire Registered

Thanks for the file Jeremy,

I have it running on one of our servers at the moment. "SR4L Server 3" I will leave it running and post a report in a few days of the performance and any issues I find.

5. ~IsR~Barabba

~IsR~Barabba Registered

with the new EXE,the servers seem much more stable,until now never CTD.
    Only thing that happens to us,it happens that the server disappear from the general list.
    But the message of the server is said to be "Server updating successfully".
    To appear in the list again,I have to restart the server.
    This have happened once a day for two days in the evening here in Europe.
    Perhaps in that moment ISI, works at Match Maker?

Babs

6. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

How many mins from the "Server updating successfully" message to the server restart?

If i am not mistaking, some testers reported that the "updating server" can be pretty long, ie 30 secs+.

7. ~IsR~Barabba

~IsR~Barabba Registered

no I'm talking about minutes, with the words "Server updating successfully".
    But the server is not shown in the server list.
    Usually when you could not see in the list of servers, it was because we read "Could not connect to Matchmaker," was enough to send the server to the next track, and the server came back visible.
    Now you read "Server updating successfully" but you do not see on the list, as well as the sending server to the next track does not return visible in the list.
    To get it back on the list, I have to restart the server.

Babs

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Same,

With the server set to freeze when empty it sometimes disappears off the list (like it did originally) but without saying so; and unlike build 146 it doesn't crash when it tries to reconnect. (ok, 134 didn't try to reconnect, 146 did and crashed while doing so).

With the server NOT set to freeze when empty it appears to be better, haven't had it sitting on one track uninterrupted long enough to say it's absolutely 'fixed' that way.

9. Radar

Radar Registered

Well I have one server not on 'freeze' and the other set to 'freeze'. Haven't had a problem at all.. The server that is set to 'freeze' has had people join every day from all over the globe, running for days and weeks non-stop.

So for me, I have not experiences what you guys have, but we all know, that what may work for one, may not work for another...

10. Paul Swire

Paul Swire Registered

I have had a server running for the last three days with the new dedi file from Jeremy and so far no problems at all.

11. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

3 servers running at the moment on 1 computer.
    1st server -> Could not connect to matchmaker
    2nd server-> Updating succesfully
    3rd server -> Updating succesfully.

However, all servers have dropped out of the online listings. Have restarted them all. Will have a look if I can find anything in the logfiles.

1 thing i noticed, when closing down the server via EXIT button, the popup Closing ISI server stays active, so it does not actually shut the whole process down (still shows in active process list, and Applications list of task manager. Have to close them manually). Perhaps this helps as well.

{edit}
    Closed the popup windows via task manager, and closed the processes. Restarted all servers, and got notified by the members that joining was still not possible.
    Went on the server, and all 3 where Updating succesfully.
    Checked task manager again, and noticed 6 instead of 3 dedicated.exe processes running. Closed them all down again, and restarted the 3 servers.
    Now I have 3 proces threads again, and all seems fine.

It seems the issue is the same (by the looks of it), with more then 1 dedciated.exe process running. Perhaps that happens (or something simular) when it reconnects to matchmaker, causing it to hang up?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2013
  12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Even with the server set NOT to freeze when empty, it's sometimes dropping off the list (but says it's still updating fine). We have the same persistent process issue (need to exit the server, then kill the process, so the ports are free again and it's able to connect). On top of that it's sometimes taking 1-2 mins to load the track up and a further 5-30 seconds to say it's been added to the matchmaker, but maybe half the time it never says it has so we exit out, kill the process, and start again. (restarted it 4 times in a row yesterday before it was added)

If I turn off announce in the multiplayer.ini the track loads in about 2 seconds.

Right now I can't say for sure what's causing all this, the server's not running a standard track/mod and the ports are modified (all set within 44000-46000, on a dedi server box so everything's open), but nearly all server settings on default other than that. Might have to try a separate server with all standard stuff as a control check.

This is all happening with a single rF2 server, an rF1 server running as well but using entirely different ports etc.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Completely fresh and default server (running ISI content only) on its own user account fell off the list at some point today. Again says it's updating fine. So that seems to rule out any settings I might be using on the other one.

I'll wait for the next build release, hopefully in a few days, and see if everything's fixed with it.

14. Antaeus

Antaeus Registered

is possible to get new dedicated server file? i wanna test it on my server

15. JGraf

JGraf Registered

16. Antaeus

Antaeus Registered

i ask, but Jeremy not reply yet..