Corner cutting ?? How to make / stop..

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Radar, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Radar

Radar Registered

Just wondering how corner cutting works for rF2 (probably the same as rF1).

I was watching the V8's over the weekend here in Aus, they have a sensor unit in the middle of the car and on the track, once the sensor goes beyond that 1/2 way point it triggers a cut. Now in the V8 series they have a number of these up their sleeves but from a games point of view I think this is irrelevant as people shouldn't corner cut anyway, but hey it happens.. The standard rF1 / rF2 number of warnings should be fine.

Is there something that track makers need to add, so that if the car goes beyond the half way point (or certain point), that it registers as a cut / warning ? (and how many is the default?)

I recall seeing some tracks in rF1 (not many from memory) having it but not sure how it really worked, what needed to be added into the track.

Not sure if feels is doing this for Croft or not, but it's a classic example of where many sections could easily be cut (or taking a wider line) to gain a few tenths or more and I'm sure many other tracks to come.

Be nice to see this added as part of the Track Making tutorials out there (if not already and I'm just blind) so we can make the online racing a little less 'Policed'. Have some sort 'recommended' features to rF2 tracks that are to come.

2. ethone

ethone Registered

The important info for that is in the AIW. In particular the corridors, which tell the game which areas of the track are "legal" surfaces to race on. IIRC there was also a field for an expected maximum speed or something like that.

It's been a while since I delved into the specifics of it but that's roughly where you should be looking.

3. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Once again, I'm not at my computer, so I can't check it, atm (so I may be completely off-base here)...but isn't the determination of whether a surface is legal or not defined in the .tdf? And the AIW somehow references these surfaces when corridors are calculated? So, my point, ultimately, is yes, I think it's in the AIW, but I think it's defined/originated in the .tdf.

4. ethone

ethone Registered

Yep, the .tdf definitions are part of the basis on which the automatically generated corridors are done. You can still modify them manually though and for areas where you want fine-tune stuff like at chicanes that's probably where you'd do it.

5. toebee

toebee Registered

Here is a rF1 tutorial, its pretty much the same in rF2.

6. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I would like to see some feature which will watch cars for going outside white lines.

7. toebee

toebee Registered

It's entirely possible now with proper use of the corridors.

8. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Really, it is superb news. Hope it work with mm precision and recognize cutting corners/widening exist correctly.

9. Radar

Radar Registered

That would be ideal. I guess that's why I eluded to track makers with the track than an AIW file. Easier to mark an area of no-go imho.