Core And Data files on seperate HDs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarcG, Jan 8, 2012.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Question about this quote on the installation of RF2:

from: http://www.bsimracing.com/2012/01/rfactor-2-rf2-first-time-install-info-isi-quote/

"There are TWO paths you are asked about during installation: Core and Data. The Core holds the simulations basic files, while the Data holds the large car/track files, replays, screenshots and your player information."

Would it be best to have both areas installed on the same HD? as for example sake I have a poor/slow HD for Windows Programs where the Core would be installed, but a better/faster HD where the Data would go, would that hinder the performance of RF2 in anyway? (loading times, slowdowns of the game etc etc)

I'll probably install both to the same HD but if not performance is lost then I might put the Core somewhere else to save on space for the Data, thanks.

2. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

I would install them both on your faster HDD, it's always going to be faster to have everything in one place, whether it would make a huge impact you would need someone like Tim to answer. If you have the space on the fast drive for all files that would be the obvious answer :)

3. slow_duck

slow_duck Registered

I will use my SSD for rF2. What is the best option to enjoy the full speed??
    -Core install on SSD
    -Data install on SSD
    -Core AND Data on SSD

4. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

What do you think? I think you already know.

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

If you have a larger HDD, put data on that. Core could be on a smaller HDD. Data is going to be filled with mods and other user files such as replays.

As far as which goes onto a faster HDD, put both on the faster one, or think about what you want to be faster... Do you want data to load faster? Or possibly see a miniscule speed increase from the core? :) Both even out IMHO.

6. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Personally, I would put the Data on the slower HDD until SSD becomes cheap enough to replace the good old HDDs :) .
    Yes, loading times will be slower, but SSD space is just too precious at the moment. Plus it gives you time to mount the wheel on a desk during the loading process :) .

7. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

It's more about not fitting the 90+ gigs of Data on most solid states. I will be installing the core on my SSD and the Data on my fast Seagate Drive.

8. JoshJ81

JoshJ81 Registered

But what if you only have one HD with no partitions? We have to reformat and get a new HD on our computer to run rFactor 2? Is this a W7 thing or are you guys making us divide this up on purpose? How freaking big is the instal of the core and data going to be????

9. jorge salgueiro

jorge salgueiro Registered

josh you may install the two folders at one disk. But you can also put each folder on a different disk, witch may be cool for people with ssd

10. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

@Josh
    ...then you install both stuff on your one partition (you always have one partition, in your case that is "C").

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

cool thanks Tim, pretty sure my main C drive is on the slower HD I'll have to check.

yeah no chance of anything new in my PC anytime soon, oh and my Wheel is permanently mounted ;)

12. sway

sway Registered

I'm not trying to be a rude, but this isn't true. Theoretically if you have data on two disks they can be seeking simultaneously and theoretically faster. In practice this depends on how the HDD controller code handles connections on the motherboard but in theory it is possible and faster. :)

13. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

rFactor 1 doesn't recognize the wheel unless it's already plugged in when the game is started, so that doesn't work. Will this be fixed in rFactor 2? =)

14. 88mphTim

Then you have no option but to put it onto one HDD, do you? :) By default that is what the installer will do anyway.

15. slow_duck

slow_duck Registered

How big is rF2 1.0 (core and date both)
    -all cars all tracks if you have planned.. 4GB, 5GB,...GB pls estimate ;)

@ kamikaze: i wourld like to know its possible to put one path into my slow hdd and one path on ssd to save place (ssd) but no speed loss by loading a track etc. i will use the advantage of my ssd but i will save GB (ssd)

many thanks

16. blakboks

blakboks Registered

We're really only talking about load times, correct? Once you're at a track, everything is already loaded, so you won't notice any increase in FPS by the installation configuration, right?

So, IMO, put it wherever you choose! It sounds like it's just a matter of whether you want the software to load faster on start-up, or whether you want the track to load quickly (if you split the core and data up).

17. 88mphTim

slow_duck, we can't estimate what is not built yet, and as we are still licensing cars it's never going to be possible to tell this.

18. Tiger

Tiger Registered

remember that temporary file aren't welcome on any SSD...
    ie, office or 7zip or winrar are due to be installed outside any SSD!
    therefore, for a fast load it's better obviously to run from SSD as your OS do!
    so, Core on mai SSD and Data o another HDD, whatever the speed!

just my 2cts here ;)