Copyright Mods Free

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Moises Tarcis, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Moises Tarcis

Moises Tarcis Registered

Hello friends, I would like to know if there are any mods copyrights available at the steam workshop, can I modify, put on my skins and add back to the workshop for my league and anyone who wants to use it?

2. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Simple rule of life: Treat others the same as you expect to be treated.

3. lagg

lagg Registered

The creator of the content is shown in the Workshop.
    The best would be to ask them

Brent likes this.
  4. Moises Tarcis

Moises Tarcis Registered

I appreciate the answer from all, I asked and got no answer, I would like to know the procedure, if I copy, edit and publish on steam giving the credits if it is a legal procedure.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Generally no. You need permission.

Moises Tarcis likes this.
  6. dazzer

dazzer Registered

you could upload a skin pack, but an edited mod of another person will surely not be well received
    Remember to modify a car or track without the author's permission it can be taken badly, in any case if you only want to upload paintings I recommend as I said before uploading only a skin pack

Moises Tarcis likes this.
  7. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

(Off-topic) Note that there's another copyright question with skins, the "real world" one. I wonder how long it will be before a team insists that their paint scheme is licensed? Even though race cars are all motorised advertising boards someone is going to decide that their IP should be protected.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Seven Smiles It's not unheard of, as companies do like to try and keep control of their branding. Realistically as long as it's not payware it's probably not an issue though. (or used in a commercial environment, including broadcast)

Seven Smiles likes this.
  9. lagg

lagg Registered

The "real world" problem is more complex, because this is not only related to skins. The design of the cars is protected too. And it's the same with the brands.
    Then it's better not to go deeper into some things

Seven Smiles likes this.
  10. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Caveat Emptor. So long as no one is profiting no one will spend the money to take a huge legal risk to collect from someone who mods a mod. But taking work done by others and altering them often compromises one's integrity.

That said about 10 years ago during the rF1 days I admit, I was guilty of doing just that - but for what I felt was good reason, and kept a limited distribution. One mod with exceptional graphics had such terrible physics the cars were simply an abomination to drive. I rebuilt the physics using suspension geometry similar or same as the real cars a common set tire physics in the spec sizes. In that case I felt it was simply putting integrity back into the package.

lagg likes this.
  11. James987

James987 Registered

You can paint most anything you like so long as you do the work. I can paint the Mona Lisa and sell it with no issues at all. If you paint the DDS file it is yours, you can do with it as you please and that includes selling it or giving it away on Steam. You don't need anyone permission.

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The OP wasn't talking about a skin pack. They were talking about painting a mod and putting the entire mod back up, modified in other ways or not.

As far as skins go, it's possible - though unlikely - you could be asked to take down a skin that uses real logos. Hand drawn logos might reduce the chance but a trademark name would still be possible. Selling your work would perhaps increase the odds.

The copyright on the Mona Lisa (if you applied the laws retrospectively) has expired, which is why you can do what you want with it. You can sell a photo of it, even. But you can't sell someone else's photo, as they have the copyright.

13. dazzer

dazzer Registered

Even so, when it comes to real logos, they still generate problems, for example, the DRM mod for AC, they don't use real logos, for example, instead of putting coca cola, you can put fresh grass, all this to be able to sell the content without fear of some kind of copyright claim.

https://images.app.goo.gl/vx8kYXjFSCNm8MJt7