converting tracks

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by les, Jan 26, 2012.

1. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Thanks for the tutorial. I was just going to post a question regarding this topic but I guess somebody saved me al the work. :)
    The bad news is that I need 3dmax :-(

2. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Would it be possible to remesh the track with Sketchup? It is quite easy to divide faces into smaller objects with Google's tool. The program automatically creates the two faces when drawing a line that divides a planar face. It would be some work but at least is very "automatic" and don't need to think much. I don't know what would exactly happen with the following things:

- Accuracy of points after the export/import.
    - How would the "placing" (sorry for my ignorance of the correct term) of the secondary textures be affected when implementing the realroad requiring shader.

BTW I have problems with textures when exporting with 3dsimed to Sketchup. When I open the generated file, it appears with no textures. Does it happen to anybody else? Maybe I am doing something wrong but I have tried several things with no success.

3. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Sorry - don`t know either, but would like to get an answer to those questions also.
    TIA

4. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Sorry, I don't know sketchup at all, its one of those things I never got around to learning. But by the sounds of it, it might be faster to reloft the track in max and conform it to the old track.

For real road, it should be done by spline mapping in 3dmax. (which basically maps it following the race line). There are plenty of discussions about it in these forums.

If your getting stuck and confused using max, http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/136-Re-encouraging-track-modeling this thread has been a great help for me when I first started out, have a read through it. mostly all of the basics and more have been covered there.

5. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

As always, thanks mianiak. Downloading 3dsmax2010.

6. MerlinC

MerlinC Registered

Where can I get those gfx files from? Thanks in advance

7. Radar

Radar Registered

rFactor 1. It's where I got mine.