converting tracks

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by les, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

The stock rF2 tracks use alpha blend safety fences. Trees on the other hand are working very well with chroma.
    It's possible your tree alpha channels are too subtle.

2. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

Yeah for now I will keep them at alpha blend with sorted checked like that guy said, I will fool with the alpha channels later because I might actually be replacing these trees but thanks for the tip Luc.

3. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Chroma requires good mipmaps and reasonable alpha reference value (unfortunately, I think you can't set this value in gMat, although it's present in GMT file itself).
    It may be a good idea to set more negative LOD bias in fenct texture.

As for objects showing up in fromt of fences - that's not related to chroma - it's the lack of object sorting, when you use blending. Either don't use blending, or enable sorting.

Unless there is a bug, that causes sorting not to work properly or at all in some cases.

Having some background knowledge on mipmapping, blending and z-buffering can be really helpful, even for a 3D artist.

4. mianiak

mianiak Registered

If it's any help I find tweaking the chroma blend pixels and mip bias is handy in getting the chroma transp looking nice. Something like mip bias of -2 and a chroma blend pixels of 1.
    After making the alpha layer for your texture, duplicate the rgb layer and Gaussian blur it a bit so it fills the outer edges of the texture, so that the chroma blend pixels don't give you an ugly line.

ie:
    N2TREE.jpg N2TREE_alpha.jpg

1 person likes this.
  5. xoa

xoa Registered

The t1 import bug is really annoying, isn't there a fix?

6. freew67

freew67 Registered

7. xoa

xoa Registered

All files are correct.
    Is this the only possibility to import gmt files from RF1?

8. Leonardo1962

Leonardo1962 Registered

Hi folks,

Does anybody made a track and give me a permission to convert it to rF2? Would be great.

I wrote my own Track converter for rf2, with delphi (because I have no 3ds max)
    There is some fine tuning to do, but it's now working.
    I'm able to convert tracks from F1RC/GTR2/GTL/rF1/RaceON/F111/F110 to rF2.
    I updated my own AIW editor and convertesion tool.

Not everything could be done automaticly and there is some handwork to do, but the conversion steps are not too much.
    For now, I only convert to GMT files wih only one object/material.
    But more than one sould be possible soon.
    Traffic lights, wet, dry trackroads and some other special effects are not yet final analyzed.

Would be great to convert some tracks for rf2.

Leonardo ;)

9. Mauro

Mauro Registered

i think if you contact Motorfx, the creator of F1 1979 track pack, you can try to have the permission (in past he given me permission for updating their tracks for a 1985 version).

if you are interesting i can send you a pm with Motorfx email.

bye!

10. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

conversion without 3ds max? as you have access to new shaders? are encrypted.

11. Leonardo1962

Leonardo1962 Registered

Thanks for your input. :D

I build up the new GMT file structure from the scratch, without 3ds max.
    The TU/TV coordinates are indeed a little bit tricky. I'm still learning.
    Erery 3D vertex seems to need nearly six tu/tv coordinates, (3rd is main f.e. track_main).
    But still I'm working on it, to figure it out. I've managed to get one track drivable, not all features avaliable (f.e. startlight)

I designed my own trackeditor and would like to make some new rf2 tracks, but to make own new track, it is more work for now than to convert one.

Leonardo :)

12. Leonardo1962

Leonardo1962 Registered

Would be great ;)

Thanks for your support @Mauro

Leonardo :)

13. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Honestly Leonardo i apreciate your work trying to build something to convert tracks but i think that conversion itself should be done only if all features are implemented...

If not i don't see the good part of that..

Rfactor 1 is fully of crappy tracks and mods and i don´t want even think that rfactor 2 will be the same...

:rolleyes:

14. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

You don't have to download them.

15. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Off course not but i don't see the point of having completely outdate content to this new sim...

I prefer have only 4/5 good tracks than have a lot of them that don't give me any pleasure of run it...

Opinions....

16. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

There are different people with different views on what they want from their sim. Others want top quality tracks and cars, others are fine with more experimental stuff which may not be such a high quality, but awesome fun nevertheless.

The track is African Raid, I haven't heard from the author for long time now so it might be that we don't never get this track to rF2. Is there alternative? No.

17. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

L3 into Zebra!

Those raid stages sucked to make pacenotes for. 20 hours? Yeah about right.

18. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

But if the job needs to be made just lets make it in the right way. Lets take some hours learn the basic on 3ds MAx and give to the others something interesting.

For exemple, I always worked with BTB that was good enought to achieve a medium quality track but now that we have some more improvements that we can use why not do it?

A track like you show in your post can be made in a couple of hours and became probably with better visual and that will give more fun to all that drive on it.

We should improve and not stagnate mate :)

Cheers

19. WheelNut

WheelNut Banned

hello all
    i 'm trying to convert my track from rfactor to rfactor2 to start off as i'm new to 3dsmax i'm only trying to convert the track mesh
    i've set it to road shaders two diffuse maps added the new textures and set there channels added a alpha channel to the main track texture and made it black and white chequered the problem i'm having is
    when loaded in moddev the main track textures alpha is not working you don't see the chequers and when played in the main game there's purple patches and they get worse when the track is wet i would say where the main tracks alpha should be working
    any ideas would be much appreciated
    Thanx

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2012
  20. blakboks

blakboks Registered

The alpha channel in the track's main diffuse channel is a spec map multiplier, and is inverted and used as the reflection strength for the wet track. It is NOT an alpha, in the traditional sense, for the diffuse texture.

If someone else doesn't come along with a solutions, perhaps you can show us a screenshot of the issue, so we may get a better sense of the problem.