converting tracks

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by les, Jan 26, 2012.

1. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

Ah thank you very much sir..

2. les

les Registered

i have the track i converted in rf2 when i go to load the track it causes rfactor to close not sure why this would be happening

3. freew67

freew67 Registered

Do you all the xsectors in?

4. les

les Registered

i created the scene file has all the xsectors in there i ope3ned the scene file copied all of the Instance all the way to the bottom then pasted inside my track scene that i ported over from joesville added the skyboxi gmt to the gmt folder amd the bka file to the maps folder i then found the skyboxi instant and added that to my scene file too and saved loaded up rf2 i see the track name and it starts to load then just closes rf2 down the bar across the bottom almost gets full

5. les

les Registered

if you got time free come on my ts im here

6. les

les Registered

ok i did a simple test something is going on but im not sure why this is happening i added a gmt file to joesville so i went into joesville in rf2 and that track piece did not show up. so im thinking something in max is not exporting the gmts what are the settings for the gmt exporter maybe i have something set up wrong. can anyone tell me or put some pics up of the setup or do a video tutorial of it please. i added several track gmt to joesville and nothing shows up

7. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Indeed it is. It's a small world sometimes, ain't it. :)

8. les

les Registered

well i got the track in and it works but

but the track feels like it is ice it acts like ice not sure what the problem is now lol but i do have a skating rink lol

9. les

les Registered

i think it has to do with the bump textures but not sure

10. ethone

ethone Registered

The material names aren't in the .tdf.

11. les

les Registered

question can I add material names in the .tdf file or do i have to rename the materials in 3ds max ??

12. ethone

ethone Registered

Whichever you prefer. I have for example added a material called artgrass (artificial grass, that astroturf thingy) to my track's .tdf

13. les

les Registered

ok my question is i have lets say apron is one on my materials i just add the apron=1.00 under [TRACKVARS] right

14. ethone

ethone Registered

You add "apron" to one of the existing road materials by adding it to the Material= line of the corresponding section.

So if you were to add it to the base roads section, you'd go into the last line of that section which probably reads "Materials=road".
    Make that into "Materials=road,apron" and you have added any material whose name starts with apron to that section.
    If you want the apron to have less grip (or more, or different effects) just add it to another section or create your own. The Material= line is the one which determines which materials that section applies to.

15. les

les Registered

hey free we need a video tutorial for the aiw from start to finish want to make one lol

16. freew67

freew67 Registered

I already did one for rf1 :) Its about the same.

17. les

les Registered

ok here is a question i have a fence its suppost to be transparent how do i make it that way

18. freew67

freew67 Registered

You have to cut a hole for each chain link. Little bit of practice it wont take but a few days to do.... :) In max change Source Blend to Src Alpha and Dest Blend to Inv Src Alpha, or check Chroma in the texture options window thingy.

19. les

les Registered

i posted a couple pics so far

20. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

Chroma SUCKS for fences, it may just be a bug in there shaders who knows but for fences you can't see the fence to well unless you right on it and if by chance there is an object behind it it will not show the fence. Until Chroma gets fixed for objects it sucks period..lol, Trees and Fences forsure...