converting tracks

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by les, Jan 26, 2012.

1. les

les Registered

i was a track builder for rf1 using 3dsimed and such. with rf2 i have for the past 3 days have tried to convert one of my tracks and i have had no luck.
    isi have said the files would be similar i can see that they are but the problem is getting it into rf2 some of us are not experts like others i have heard of one that has a tool that lets you load rf1 in max and then saves the files in the right format for rf2 but he will not release this(why he said crappy tracks) well thats his opinion

but there should be a way to convert tracks easier than going though all the files to change materials just my opinion

we need some help here some of us do

2. ethone

ethone Registered

Well if you have specific question just shoot. You'll find some people here are perfectly willing to help you out.

Properly "converting" a rF1 track isn't just checking the materials for errors though, if you intend to add the added rF2 features you'll have to put in some "proper" work anyway.

3. les

les Registered

right now im trying to inport the Joesville into 3ds max and go from there maybe adding my track that way( i did make a backup copy)
    so while this is loading in 3ds max it takes forever it seams like

4. freew67

freew67 Registered

Importing an entire track will take a while. It will almost look like max has froze. If your comp isnt the greatest, it can take a long long while. The gmt importer isnt the greatest but its all we got. I have most of my stuff already in max but a few of my orig tracks I will have to import. Not looking forward to it. There are more then enough tutorials out there to get you start. My Youtube channel is full of them. Not sure why your wasting your time importing Joesville when they already gave us part of it setup for rf2. Start by importing your track mesh with the infield, walls, etc. Leave the TSO's out for now just so you only have to work with a few gmts to get in game. Getting gmts in game is exactly like getting them into rf1.

1 person likes this.
  5. lasercutter

lasercutter Registered

if you turn the "proper smoothing" off and use the "no smoothing" in the importer the track will import a lot faster, once imported if you open the listener in max (F11) you can use it to set up the materials as it lists the specular, transparency and two sided information, finally you can open the track in 3dsimed and use the edit material feature to make sure that your shaders are set the same, to estimate how long this will take you should allow a few minutes for each material that needs setting up (less if it's just a basic T1 shader)

That's just the start but will allow for the most basic conversion of an rFactor track, setting up realroad adding reflections, animations and any other new stuff will take more time and some will only be possible once ISI release the tools/info to do so.

6. les

les Registered

ok here is the question then when i import a rf1 track into 3ds max i use the rf1 tools i can do that and i save the 3ds max file so i have the track in 3ds max my question is i switch to the rf2 tools then load the 3ds max file right , am i correct so far.
    as to do what next is the confusing part what textures to change too adding the new stuff

7. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

the importer triangulates the meshes too, which makes increasing the resolution of meshes difficult. if you dont have the original source files a good conversion bringing it upto a reasonable quality is impossible for the majority.

8. les

les Registered

thanks for the advise and help guys really us new people really need it lol

9. freew67

freew67 Registered

Import, fix all your dx9 issues (theres always a bunch) then save. Swap over to rf2 plugs, and open max file again. As for what textures, were all learning that. Maybe not Alex he cheats :)

10. les

les Registered

dx9 issues what do you mean fix those do all files need to be dx9 ??

11. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

Oh **** :eek:

I had the rf2 plugins shaders already loaded when I imported Zolder, I got to 275 of 393 textures that need to be reassigned again with the new shaders..lol

Now I have to start all over again by loading up the rf1 shaders first then import it and fix the textures there first before swapping to rf2 shaders. Wish I would have known this first and having to redo that many textures is hell..lol

12. freew67

freew67 Registered

With the plugin, if something is set to T1, it tends to import as Cube Map t1 add t3 lerp your mom t4 vertex non alpha food. Then you have to go in and change each one back to T1 unless someone manages to fix that.

SJ65 It might still work, but I have no idea. I just assumed rf1 gmts would need the rf1 stuff installed in order to get everything imported correctly. I attempted to load an rf2 file with rf1 plugs and it yelled at me. Max can be so rude sometimes.

13. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

you need to edit the import script so it imports all of the gfx files (and they're in alphabetical order)

14. Simon Peace

Simon Peace Registered

hey alex or whoever,

can we have a walk through of the process of importing an existing GMT from the front door...
    --- do we have to modify the script and if we do then what needs changing? i currently get an integer conversion error when i try to import one of my own gmts that works in rF2 and was built for rF2...

15. freew67

freew67 Registered

If its already in rf2 then it wont work. This only works for rf1 gmts.

16. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Quick related question: Is there any way to convert existing rF1 tracks "as is" without using 3ds Max?

17. Simon Peace

Simon Peace Registered

OK freew67 how about for an rF1 GMT then? I'm not following the process that's all. So would like some advice (i.e. the steps) that people know to work.

Cheers

18. freew67

freew67 Registered

Jotgen- not right now that I know off.

Simon Cowell- first put the gmt import script into your max/scripts/startup folder

make sure your tex and gmts are in the same folder

click on utilites/maxscript/utilites dropdown to gmt 2 importer

select gmts or entire folder to import

wait

then enjoy...

19. Simon Peace

Simon Peace Registered

then what is the process from there to manipulate the materials etc...?

20. freew67

freew67 Registered

Normally unless it was t1 there isnt anything to change.