SOLVED Converted RF mod - car floating inches above the track

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Brent, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Brent

Brent Registered

I'm about at my wits end at trying to figure out why my mod is floating just above the track. The TGM has been resized with Chris redagp's tools. The AI cars sit on the ground and appear just fine. So does my car. Once I jump into the car, it bounces up and appears several inches just above the ground. I've double and tripled checked the TGM and TBC, even measured the physical tire model size and they all are correct.

What am I doing wrong and could someone message me if they want to help me with this?

2. dylbie

dylbie Registered

Look at the Size Multiplier value in the TGM file. You'll want to reduce it. If it's (1.0,1.0) reduce it to something like (0.95,0.95) and then use trial and error to get it perfect.

3. svictor

svictor Registered

I had some similar experience with floating or sinking issues, here is a few things may help you to solve the problem:

1. BumpStopTravels
    Check your HDV for BumpStopTravels entry, then go to Joesville, click RACE but don't drive, hit hotkey Ctrl+D 2 times to bring up realtime suspension data. You can find Bumpstop Offsets on the left, if the value becomes positive, something probably wrong with BumpStopTravels value or conflict with other suspension data (it can cause ride height bug as well, ex. increase ride height in setup will actually make ride height lower.)

2. Matching Rim size
    Tyre model's rim size has effect on floating or sinking issues, try use a TGM with matching rim size to your TBC/tyre 3d model, and change TBC value accordingly. You can use Chris' tyre tool to do rim resize, however only first tyre tool can do rim resize. Also resize tyre using the first tool won't help with sinking issue, instead you need to use size multiplier (2nd and 3rd tool can help).

3. Pivot point for tyre/wheel etc.
    All tyre/wheel/disc etc need to have correct pivot point, otherwise could cause all kinds of buggy issues, like floating car in showroom being the most common one, as well as flying wheel.

4. Brent

Brent Registered

I used the tire size multiplier and with a couple trials was able to get it the car to sit realistically on the ground on track. I still have the issue in the showroom. it's so strange since the tire dimensions match exactly the model dimensions and I used Chris's tyre tool to confirm.

I'll have to look at 1 and 3 @svictor and report back later. I thought the most important thing with pivot points for wheels is that they are centered.

I just released the mod to the steam workshop if anyone wants to take a look at it. Beetle Race https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2037685976

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    Hazi likes this.
  5. Brent

Brent Registered

I checked the bump stop travels and the bump stop offsets are all negative values. I'll have to keep checking things, hopefully someone with more physics experience takes interest and works with me on this mod.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Your .tbc says radius is 0.29, your TGM is just over 0.355 (your centre node is 30, as there are 61 total - 2nd value is the 'height' at that point). For these to match you need to have a size mult of 0.815 in the TGM. And you need these to match or it can do weird things to physics.

*Note: I'm not saying this is causing your issue, or that it's your only issue. It's just something I found :p

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  7. Brent

Brent Registered

@Lazza the Beetle2_TIRES.tgm is a tire I was using to get the mod working in RF2. The one I resized with Chris's tools and linked to the tbc is MOD_Beetle2_TIRES.tgm.

Beetle2_tires.tgm has
    [Node] // 30
    Geometry=(0,-0.289721,0.0066)

Chris's tool resized it to this. I know the physical radius of the mesh data is near .3
    [Node] // 30
    Geometry=(0,-0.300287,0.0066)

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing in the tgm

8. Bernd

Bernd Registered

@Brent I have downloaded the mod and installed it into the devmode.
    There was a difference in the tire size when i switched from old to new tire model and i guess, that is what you mean, right?
    I have seen that the tgm were not linked in the tbc file and so i have also used chris' (redapg) tool, to resize the tgm and get it linked in the tbc.
    With that modification it looks ok in my opinion.
    Please check if that solves the problem.

EDIT I forget... chris (redapg) ones told me that if the wheels in the showroom are above of the ground, especially the front wheels, just rename the instances in the spinner gen to whatever you like.
    But don't use the normal names LFTIRE, RFTIRE...
    That solves the problem.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Brent As Bernd has said, I think there are some link issues, and possibly some file issues. The one I pulled off the workshop has only the Beetle2_Tires.TGM in the car mas, node 30 is -0.355, and the tbc doesn't link to the tgm.

10. Brent

Brent Registered

@Lazza I updated the mod today (1.1) to correct the cockpit view being slightly offset and it should have both tgms now. I may have uploaded a version before I used Chris's tool by mistake. That explains the different numbers you reported above. Sorry for the confusion. Appreciate your help!

@Bernd I used those tires and they work. I'll use them in the next update. Thanks!

Bernd and Lazza like this.
  11. Brent

Brent Registered

Ok, I changed the instance names in the spinner.gen for the wheels/tires to something other than RFTIRE etc. The car does sit a little better on the ground in the showroom but the most bizarre thing is happening. The wheels/tires are setup as an upgrade to select from different wheel colors. Now I can't change them from the menu options, but as I move the camera around in the showroom the wheels cycle through all the colors. o_O

Ok, I changed the instance names in the upgrades LFTIRE to Left_Front_T and now the bizzare thing isn't happening but the colors of the wheels are not changing when I select a different one in the upgrades list.

Instance=Left_Front_T<UPNUMBER>
    {
    Moveable=True Reflect=True
    MeshFile=<LFTIRES> CollTarget=False HATTarget=False ShadowCaster=(True, Solid) LODIn=(0.00) LODOut=(80.0) Reflect=True Deformable=true

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  12. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Again something that chris (redapg) did teach me. :)
    To get upgrades working and changing properly in the spinner, you have to follow some rules.
    One is, that the instances and upnumbers do what they shall do.
    In your case it means that, if you have renamed the instance in the spinner, you also have to rename it in the upgrades ini and you also have to rename the placeholders (<LFTIRES>).
    Just an example:
    You have renamed the spinner instance LFTIRE into Left_Front_T.
    Now you also have to rename the entry instance=LFTIRE into instance=Left_Front_T in the upgrades ini.
    AND you also have to rename the placeholder <LFTIRES> into <Left_Front_TS> (for example) in the upgrades ini, the spinner gen and the graphics gen file.
    Follow this scheme for all instances that you have renamed, then it should work as before.

ThomasJohansen likes this.
  13. Brent

Brent Registered

@Bernd OK, I got it, updated the upgrades.ini, spinner gen and graphics gen as you described and the upgrades are working properly in the showroom. I learned to avoid having LFTIRE etc. in the upgrades.ini and spinner.gen from now on. The car doesn't appear to be floating in the showroom. Thank you very much for your help!

FuNK! and Bernd like this.