Controller woes

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Daza_NZ, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Daza_NZ

Daza_NZ Registered

Im new to rFactor2 (Steam version), i recently picked up the demo and give the game a go. My first problem was getting the controller working properly, buttons worked but no steering so i went into settings and the game would not register the stick moving at first, like wise assigning Dpad to anything wouldnt register. Eventually after mucking about (i'm not sure what i did) then when i tried to rebind left stick for left and right it did work without fuss. I saved my configuration. The second time i played the demo i had do it all over again, i think loading my config didnt help. Once it was set i had no problems and found the game is very playable with a controller after some fine tuning.

I brought the full version lastnight and today ive having problems again with getting the game to register the stick movement to bind left and right and also bind look with the right stick. I ended up having to copy over the saved controller config from the demo folder to the game, and one of these didn't work and the other did, however with this loaded i couldnt bind the right stick for looking behind, left and right view etc. Its totally weird. So currently one of my old config saves for controller from demo version is working in full game, i can steer. However i cannot bind look around to right stick nor can i bind the LCD controls to the D-pad the game when it asks you to press a key or controller to bind. Quite frustrating. This game came out in 2014? I know many users have a proper wheel and perhaps not many players have this problem i am having but its affecting my ability to get into this game.

2. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Welcome Daza_from the far eastern suburbs home of very nervous sheep. ;)
    rfactor2 actually came out January 11, 2012 (says my receipt), I remember it like yesterday, we were so excited it was like Beatlemania all over again.
    Now to your controller.
    There is question 1, what controller is it? Take it out of it's sheepskin cover too! OK, no more sheep wise cracks.
    I in fact have never used a "controller" I have only used wheels and pedals so bear that in mind.
    Does this controller have any drivers/software for PC and are they installed?
    EDIT: Unplug any other controllers that are plugged in, except k/board and mouse.

Next, I would remove your Controller.JSON found here: Wherever Steam is installed\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\player
    Start rF back up and it will generate a new clean Controller.JSON.
    Go to the controller settings page, at the bottom right click Detect.
    It may or may not load a controller profile.
    Those default profiles are located here: \steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\Controller
    You can view them ingame by selecting Load, just near the Detect button, and cycle through them to see if your controller is listed.

If you get something working you then click Save, name it whatever you want: "Sheep go to heaven, goats go to hell" :rolleyes: sorry, great song though, I probably wouldn't make a name that long either.
    Then that setup will be written to your Controller.JSON

See if any of that is usefull or I just wasted 5 minutes. :(
    Good luck.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  3. Daza_NZ

Daza_NZ Registered

Thanks ADSTA for the wooly jokes they weren't too baahad. I have actually found out what was going on (not with the nervous sheep) . In Big Picture mode in steam where you configure your controller, i went back in there and i had Xbox controller configuration selected (might of been by default- i either had selected it or left it selected because i thought I had assumed the Logitech F310 was practically an Xbox controller clone and thought nothing of it especially it worked fine on Dirt 4. So i unselected that and chose "Generic Gamepad Configuration Support" instead and this fixed the problem.

Only one lingering issue- when i tried to map look up and down to right stick up and down- it wouldn't bind. But i could bind look left and right - to the right stick as well as bind the LCD display to the D-pad with no probs. So im very happy i got this working! Ive only got a controller for the first time recently just for racing (its a poor mans choice compared to a wheel of course) but i am still having fun. I might look at saving up (pity i dont own any sheep i could sell) for a proper FFB Wheel that is both worthy to use and budget affordable. I think a brand new one would be better than second hand where it might of been abused in the past.

4. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Only thing I can think of with the right stick is, I assume, it is analogue and not a digital stick.
    Maybe look left/right can be done with a analogue or digital controller but look up/down can only be done with a digital controller.

5. Daza_NZ

Daza_NZ Registered

Played the game today and back to square one. The solution i thought i found isn't working anymore *sigh* i have got far as creating a new controller configuration in the game and i was able to remap left and right- but now the right stick isn't registering, the d-pad is registering. It seems everytime i want to play this game i have to fight with the bleeding controller settings to play the game. I like the game, but its unplayable with a keyboard and unplayable with only half of the controller working. Was playing Dirt 4 earlier- no problems.

When i click on detect controller in game it seems to find my controller, but then later it detects it as a Xbox 360 and loads the config for that. The last working configuration isn't working anymore. The thing is i don't know what is the root cause of it- is it Steam or windows? or the game. Another game a demo for a simple arcade game wouldn't accept my controller last night until i switch settings to "Generic Gamepad Configuration Support" as mentioned in my last post, it still accepts it.

What could be causing only half of the controller registering in the game? I went back in and tried detect controller again, now the left stick and the dpad isn't registering. Its like rolling a dice. If my controller was faulty i would be having issues with other games, but its just with rFactor2. I don't want to waste hours every time i want to play the game to get the silly controller working. I dont know if i can get a refund because ive gone over two hours. Last night i thought i had solved the whole mystery.

6. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Can you do a video showing your problem?

7. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Go to the Controller folder \steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\Controller and delete every profile except the Logitech F310 one.
    I would also delete the Controller.JSON again.
    Start rF, then in the controller page select load and load the F310 profile.
    I have no idea what Steam's Big Picture mode is but I have never used it to get any Steam game working with a controller.
    I've used Steam for about 10 years.

8. Daza_NZ

Daza_NZ Registered

The saga continues...Chapter 88

New development. Did some more google searching i found someone suggesting running the game in compatibility mode run as Win 7 (i have win 10) and this seems to have fixed it. Also i have turned the controller mode on (which didn't seem to help before because it would cause my steering to work through the dpad). So i'm guess running the game as Win 7 help a good measure. I closed the game and run it again a few times to really test this. Will give it another whirl tomorrow and make sure its still the same. So i think i have finally put this issue to rest.

Sorry didnt see the reply posts before this, i left the page open for a bit. Thanks ADSTA for that suggestion, i will do that if the problem returns again, i might delete all the redundant ones i created now actually. I hope this is all sorted now, so thanks you guys for your help and suggestions.

ADSTA likes this.