Connection Lost When Attempting to Join any Server

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by BMetcalf, Jun 19, 2018.

1. BMetcalf

BMetcalf Registered

Hi all,
    I am hoping someone can assist with this issue I have.

I can only join a Server (any server) when no other drivers are on the server, whenever there are drivers on a server, I try to join, (I download the respective mods etc first) the driver names load and then before my name loads I immediately get "Connection Lost" in the chat.
    This problem started about 3 weeks ago, since then I have been trying to figure out why this is continuously happening with no success.

NB:I thought this was sorted about a week ago.I changed my network settings to 510kbps up and 1.00mb down,it worked for a few days but then no joy.

(I have uninstalled & reinstalled rF2.)

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thank You,
    Bret

2. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

I think this post has been missed by many because it needed admin authorisation and has gone down the list already whilst waiting for that.

I know this guy and have been trying to help him a bit, he cannot race obviously.

He is in South africa, and his internet connection is good and fast and steady, but the ping is not the fastest. The ping is 160-210 typically, not great but certainly not a problem to get in server and race.

It DOES NOT shoot up to 6 or 700 or anything like that from time to time. It's steady around 160-210 always. Not sure of the up down speeds, but its pretty fast. Plenty fast enough for sure.

It does not matter if there is 1 person in server or 30 people in server, he can't join. If server empty, he can join everytime. If he joins first, then 30 more join, it's fine he can race no problems.

Reset routers, reinstalled rf2, tried different up/down speeds, done all the obvious things

Tried multiple servers, its not any particular server, it's all servers.

Loads the track, and gives immediate connection lost, almost as if your on ban list or vehicle does not match filter. But it is neither of those things.

His game as been working fine for a long time before that on same equipment and connection, no problems. Just started a month ago, not sure if that co-incided with build update or not. Did anything change with server join code about a month ago? I doubt it.

Also, it's the same joining from Launcher or Steam server list. Makes no difference.

Hope someone can help with this, it is a major problem.

3. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I doubt it but is he in spectator mode?
    It's in the Network settings.

edit: Try deleting the Multiplayer.JSON, fresh rF2 install though, umm I dunno

edit 2: can he try another modem/router?

4. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

No, he is not in spectator mode, and cannot join in spectator mode either. Already deleted player file, and additionally did full re-install.
    I doubt router is problem. The pings are a bit off laser quick but its working fine, we had various continuous pings running and it never dropped a packet or had any unusually high pings.
    It's weird.
    It all comes down to 1 person+ being in the server, and 0 people being in the server. That's what this is all coming down to.

5. BMetcalf

BMetcalf Registered

Thanks for your comments so far chaps. FWIW I have been driving rF2 ever since it was released & this is the first time ever I have had continuous connection issues. As hardtohandle stated, 0 drivers on the server I can join, even when other drivers join the server after I have... no problems. One person suggested that I do a trace by starting rF2 on steam, go to settings then click multiplayer tab & under command line type in +trace5 which creates a log file. Whilst the log file was created I haven't got a clue on how to interpret it to determine if it tells me where the problem is.

Regards,
    Bret

6. Seca

Seca Registered

I have the same issue aswell. Been racing for seceral years and untill Recent started having same problem join server with no one on fine as soon as another car on server always connection lost before loading can try 5 to 6 times and will finally allow me to join. Im also at a lost why have changed the connection settings to a lower setting tryed turning off all plugins removed all old files. Still same fault. Its not my connection i have a 1gb download and 300mb up so thats not the issue and when in servers i run i have a 30 to 40 ping
    Any advice as it driving me mad

7. Dav111

Dav111 Registered

All the issues started after DX11 was released. I raced a lot in DX9 and never had any issue. I have Connection Lost errors too. And if I can join the game crashes after hitting ESC to return to the pit. I tried all the methods to be able to play the game again, but nothing helped. :(

8. Fuzo

Fuzo Registered

Guys I am struggling with the same issue, and some of my friends as well. I am from Slovakia, we are having our own CZ/SK league, own servers, I am on fiber optics internet 60/60, Windows 10 with default antivirus/firewall, no issues in any other games at all, except rfactor 2. When I want to play, it is literally a lottery whether I will connect or not. Usually the less people on server the higher chance to connect. And this Saturday, after a lot of training and preparation, I wanted to be part of awesome "VEC" championship, I just did not connect to the game, after more than 30 attempts I gave up. Always the same - cars are loading, when finished I get "connection lost" message and its over. Today I am going to reinstall the whole computer and start investigating because my crew just needs me for next VEC, last sunday they had to do 6h race in 2 people...

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  9. lagg

lagg Registered

I've had the same problem several times. This always happens to me, when there are more than 20 drivers in the server (more or less).
    When i enter in the server, appears in the chat "Connection lost". I'm admin of that server. and in the server chat doesn't appear that i've entered and the connection lost messages. It's as if i had not really entered.
    I have a 300Mb symetric connection, my ping is always 20-40ms and i enter almost every day to our servers. And this only happens if there are a lot of players in the server.

10. Fuzo

Fuzo Registered

and has anyone some idea whether is there some solution for this or some procedure to troubleshoot what is the actual problem?

11. Dav111

Dav111 Registered

I think there are no solution for this problem. I have a lot of other problem for months and nothing was patched. I think the visuals are now more important than a working game.