computer desks strong enough for wheel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davehenrie, Sep 13, 2022.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

2. Emery

Emery Registered

3. I would say no. The monitor will shake while FFB effects occur, e.g. If you accept this, they will be "strong enough", but e.g I started with a frame made out of squared timber more than ten years ago and 2 1/2 years ago I made a aluminium frame.

davehenrie likes this.
  4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I didn't even know they sold frames separately. Thanks

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

My last 'desk' was a plank of wood screwed into a 2x4 which was screwed into the wall. Fairly sturdy but it transmitted vibrations & sound into the next room, which was our bedroom, so no racing while the Wife was sleeping. I was more worried about the footing of the desks than the desktop itself. Definitely I have more to think about.

6. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I use a wooden desk that is attached to the wall but, my DD-wheel is mounted to a removable framework that uses three threaded knob fasteners with urethane isolators to minimize any resonance. The framework is essentially floating on the vibration-isolators. My office is near our bedroom, so my system needs to be very quiet.

Image shows the aluminum profile frame but, it is more than adequate for the task and could be made of smaller & lighter profile. It also shows the AccuForce servo but, now has the SimuCube2 mounted. The threaded knobs are mated to threaded wood inserts. I've not had a single issue with any part of this system through years of near-daily use.

Attached Files:

7. Emery

Emery Registered

Agree. Monitor needs to be floating compared to the steering base. I use the sit/stand frame to have an adjustable height monitor surface while the wheel is bolted to a separate frame sliding under the monitor stand.

Alternatively, the monitor(s) could be attached to the wall.

8. pkelly

pkelly Registered

Can you show us a picture, Emery? Worth a 1,000 words ;-)

9. I am using rubber feet which are normally used with washing machines with my SFX100 and I do not have any noise at all from the actuators.

If it comes to a normal desk (I have used a G27 mounted to my desk in former times) make sure the desk is not touching a wall or mounted to because noise will always be transferred pretty good by the mounting.

Think of a tone bar or tuning bar ... if it is struck just holding it onto a desk it will be pretty loud because the desk is kind of sound box / sound body.

10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

i WAS going to ask, WHY a powered frame and not just a similar item of fixed height?

11. Emery

Emery Registered

Because custom is always better? Seriously, though, I want adjustable gadgets so I can get everything "just right".

davehenrie likes this.
  12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Well, that is what I did, I bought a powered frame and placed the compressed fiberboard top I had previously screwed into the wall on top. I screwed a powerstrip to the underside so all my connections are either to that powerstrip or the desktop case itself. Probably will never use the height adjustment after I setting on a final height, but what the heck...

Emery likes this.
  13. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

I have this and it is strong and weight enough for a 8 Nm wheel (CSL DD direct drive).

https://www.conforama.fr/bureau-ran...-1-tiroir-honey-coloris-chene-sanoma/p/609006

Just to show you an idea.

The thickness of the wood makes it sturdy and heavy enough.

However, I add two weights of 2 kilos each for safety and there is the weight of the computer.

Glad it works anyway.

The wood look is a plus.

You could look at the equivalents.