Computer blue Screen and self Shutdown

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by redapg, Aug 12, 2022.

1. redapg

redapg Registered

3 Years ago i did buy a complete PC (before i always builded them by myself), because it was a good Offer.
    In the last Time, the Son of my Girlfriend was playing some newer Games on it and the PC sometimes was getting a "blue Screen" or shutted down completely.
    Because i never did have any Problems in the Past, i thought i start with checking the Temperatures of GPU and CPU and so i installed the msi Afterburner and displayed the Temps of all 8 Cores while playing these Games.
    There i could see that the Temps of the CPU Cores was around 110 to 120 °, which is much too high.
    So i set the CPU Cooler Fan to "always full" in the Bios, to see if that cools them down.
    But that didn't help at all.
    Then i remembered, that it can happen, that the thermal Paste, that gets used between the Chip and the cooling Objekt, gets dry and crumbling.
    So i did buy that Paste, opened the PC, removed the Cooler and did see that it wasn't dry and crumbling.
    But then i did see the Reason for the Problem.
    On the Surface of the Cooler, where the Paste is, there still was a Film with the Warning: Please peel off label before you use it
    So i (of course :)) did that, removed the old thermal Paste from the Chip and the Cooler, applied the new Paste and mounted everything.
    The Temperatures of the Cores was between 50 and 60 ° now and i could set the Cooler Fan to it's normal Setting in the Bios again.
    Now the Temps are between 55 and 70 ° and the blue Screens and Shutdowns seem to be gone.
    So sometimes a small "cheap" Thing can cause big Problems and it doesn't always has to be the Hardware itself that causes Problems.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
    davehenrie and Seven Smiles like this.
  2. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

wow, that's crazy. Unbelievable. Someone left the sticker on the cooler! :eek: Happy you found the problem:).

My PC was going through bluescreens also not too long ago. One of my 4 DDR RAM sticks was going poorly. Removed it and all back to normal. No more bluescreens.

redapg likes this.
  3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

redapg likes this.