Component which referenced other component

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Ryno917, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

If I wanted to create a component file that will look for and load assets from another component, how would I go about doing it? I want some shared assets between the existing historic F2s and and extension. Ideally this could be done without having to duplicate everything and having the new component have all of those redundant files, but simply load them from the original component instead. How can I do this? The search paths are exactly the same as the original files, but the game isn't finding those assets.

2. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Ah, no one yet? :(

Let me see if I can explain what I'm after in a more simple way:

The F2 EVE has an MS7_body_max.gmt file. I want to use this same GMT in another component. How can I set it up so that the game, after loading the new component, looks into the original EVE files for this GMT, so that I don't have to have a duplicate copy of it in my component?

Does that make more sense? There must be a way to achieve this.

3. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Anyone have any ideas? :(

4. sf4JC

sf4JC Registered

Makes total sense and would be really nice to see. As far as I know though, this cannot be done, but I'm not an expert. Hopefully someone can shed a little more light on this as to why or why not. If there is a way to do this, I've been modding all wrong from the very beginning of rF2.

Scott

5. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Dang, that's unfortunate.

I guess I'll just have to duplicate the used files. I'll do my best to remove redundancies from my own set of files, though.