Component Builder

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Noel Hibbard, Mar 25, 2014.

1. rer8

rer8 Registered

I decided to make a new post. I have eliminated the build components as a root cause for my packaging problems by "Drop Boxing" a representative part of my skin packaging project to Bruno (SkyFox) who was able to compile and install and run the rfcmp. My problem apparently lies in a path issue. I have a normal build of rFactor 2 meaning the file structure is standard. MAS2 is at C:\Users\Randy\Documents\rFactor2\Support\Tools\MAS2.exe, and the component packager is located at "C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\Bin64\cmppack.exe"

That said I went to the files and sent links to the task bar, ran the packager and set the actual path to the MAS tool and to my packages folder.

So... Is that the way these tools were intended to work? If not please tell me the recommended place and set up to make the Component Builder and the MAS Tool work properly.

Thank you in advance,
    Randy

2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

The cmppack tool can go anywhere you would like. All you have to do is click the settings button and then tell it where to find MAS2.exe. From your screenshot in you first post it looks like it is properly spawning the MAS2 tool and clicks most of the buttons but it looks like the MAS2 tool fails to finish. It's hard to tell from the screenshot exactly where MAS2 is hanging. My tool monitors the status bar in the MAS2 tool for when it is complete and then shuts down MAS2. If it never sees the status bar show that it is complete my tool will wait indefinitely.

3. rer8

rer8 Registered

Thank you Noel. I placed both the MAS2 tool and Component Builder in the appropriate folders. MAS2 hangs every time. I placed both tools on the desktop, provided the path to the Component Builder, and it built a representative (4 skins out of 21) rfcmp in just a few seconds. I'm happy.Oh no! The rfcmp is 1kb. I am determined to be able to compile my files.

I still think it is a path problem.... but I am not a programer and have no idea what I must do to make it work.

Randy

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2014
  4. rer8

rer8 Registered

Hello Noel,
    "SkyFox" joined me on my computer this afternoon through the use of TeamViewer and TeamSpeak. First he observed how my computer responded when attempting to use the cmppack tool. Then he took my files and had no problems building the rfcmp file. We think that the problem may have something to do with the registry. I did a complete uninstall and re-install of the rFactor 2 program. I altered the path by naming the primary folder rFactor 2 798 in hopes of avoiding any possibility of having a registry conflict. I then attempted to make the file with the tool and was rewarded with a build in just a few seconds. :)

I now have a minor issue of the paint template being the only skin displayed on the 21 car set that I painted. Where is Sherlock Holmes when you need him? :)

Thank you for your patience. Perhaps my trials will aid someone else.

Randy

5. randy103

randy103 Registered

Found an error in the VEH file. It was corrected, and the mod is working as desired.

6. DA

DA Registered

Thank you for great tool, Noel! It help me for easy package some cars+skins! :)

Cheers,
    DA.

7. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Error reading cmpinfo file

View attachment 14873

Hello Noel,

Tried this morning your tool, worked fine first time, generated package OK.
    But when I tried it a second time, when I opened the cmpinfo file I got this error message.
    I tried several time with the same result after deleting the cmpinfo file and a cold restart.
    I adjoin the cmpinfo file https://www.dropbox.com/s/tup4atuvmh6wplt/Darche_EGT.cmpinfo?dl=0
    This is the content ot the cmpinfo file wich looks correct to my eyes.
    Sorry for the trouble.

Thanks

[Component]
    Name=Darche EGT Skinpack
    Type=2
    Version=1.86
    BaseVersion=
    MinVersion=
    Author=
    Date=130604244920204781
    ID=
    URL=
    Desc=
    Category=
    Origin=1
    Flags=0
    CurLocation=0
    NumLocations=1
    Location=D:\RF2-Mod\Packages\Darche_EGT_Skinpack_v1.86.rfcmp
    NumMASFiles=6
    MASFile=D:\RF2-Mod\URD\Darche Teams\Darche_Skinpack.mas
    MASFile=D:\Rfactor2\Installed\Vehicles\URD_Darche EGT\1.85\DARCHEEGT.MAS
    MASFile=D:\Rfactor2\Installed\Vehicles\URD_Darche EGT\1.85\DARCHEEGT_LIGHTS.MAS
    MASFile=D:\Rfactor2\Installed\Vehicles\URD_Darche EGT\1.85\DARCHEEGT_MAIN.MAS
    MASFile=D:\Rfactor2\Installed\Vehicles\URD_Darche EGT\1.85\DARCHEEGT_TEAMS.mas
    MASFile=D:\Rfactor2\Installed\Vehicles\URD_Darche EGT\1.85\URD_EGT_Darche_sounds.mas
    rFmFile=
    IconFile=
    SmallIconFile=

8. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Yeah I noticed a bug in the tool yesterday. I made some changes to the tool to handle relative paths to make dev environments more portable and ended up breaking the tool at the same time. I will look into it today. Thanks for the bug report.

9. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Okay I finished up the thumbnail tool now I want look into your bug. Could you reattach the error you were getting? The link in your post is broken.

10. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Okay Lgel, your bug is fixed. Thanks again for this bug report. It was caused by the fact that the URD cars don't have a category or origin set. My tool properly handles this situation now. You can get version 1.0.0.5 from the download link in my first post.

11. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Here it is, I thought you had recovered it, and the example of you inbox full, gave me the idea of the long overdue cleaning of my dropbox folder.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/me25j4bkn1x9un7/Error_Component_Builder.jpg?dl=0
    It is an error converting a string to an integer, in case you can't read it on screen.

I'll try your Icon tool as soon as possible.

Thanks.

12. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I was able to reproduce the bug on my end anyways. It's already fixed. Check the first post for the changelog and download link.

13. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Hello Noel,

Problem solved, it is a great tool, I regret I didn't check before the modding forum.
    I hope your tool is known by all the modders.
    I'll try your batch option later.

You really made my day, and the day of many others.

Thanks a lot, great job.

14. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Someone just pointed out that the download link was pointing to 1.0.0.4 still. I had a copy of the new version on my MediaFire account and forgot the URL here was to my Dropbox account. Anyways, the link above is fixed now. If you already downloaded expecting to get 1.0.0.5 and ended up with 1.0.0.4... try downloading it again with the new Mediafire link.

Thanks DJCruicky for pointing that out. :)

15. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Hello Noel,

I tried your tool yesterday without problems for packing a vehicle. Today I wanted to use it to repackage FISI 2012 and I don't find the option to build muti-components packages. I also noticed a small typo in the type menu (Cometary instead of Comentary).

I'll try to find how to pack Multi Cmp meanwhile.

Thanks for your help.

16. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

That's correct. It doesn't build multiCmps but I will look into adding that. Also, thanks for pointing out the typo.

17. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Buidling the RFCMP after all the individual components have been rebuilt is not the most time consuming task, but would be nice to have.

May be you could explain in your first post what does the option relative paths mean with a sample, even if I know the difference between both concepts, I had to understand how it worked with your tool by trial and error (component ended installed in RF2\Mod\installed\installed).

I hope you won't regret to share your tools with us.

Thanks again Noel.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2014
  18. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I just looked into building multiCmps. This isn't possible without some APIs from ISI. Sorry. Of all the things you can build with the MAS tool, multiCmps are the easiest. So I don't see this as a big problem.

19. Lgel

Lgel Registered

I agree. Thanks again for the tool which is big time saver and avoids many errors.

20. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Hello Noel,

I have used your tool quite intensively lately with big time savings. I just remarked that even if I check the option for output folder, the program doesn't use it and always defaults to the folder where the .mft resides.

Am I making someting wrong?

Thanks again.