Complete uninstall of rF2 ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2ndLastJedi, Jun 4, 2018.

1. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I can't handle this Alt Tab crap i have to do after every mouse click !
    Ifi do it i can get a very consistent 90 fps in stock content but i still get these freezes that last several seconds at a time and if i forget to Alt Tab it just freezes for 20 odd seconds then stutters then freezes again :(
    I'm fed up and would like to know how to completely remove every last file of rF2 so that i can have a brand new rF2 .
    I've done an uninstall from Steam and Verify files but i'm sure there is something going wrong and would just like to start fresh with only stock content and no workshop items also .
    Can someone please give me steps to remove everything ?

2. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

3. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Yeah i ve got 3 different drives with steam games on them all , i just really need to start completely fresh without the Workshop or and remaining files so i have a fresh start and hope thall solve my issues .

4. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Is it just a matter of deleting every rF2 file and then unsubscribing to every thing one by one in Steam ?
    There's got to be an easier way to remove subs !

5. LokiD

LokiD Registered

not being funny, but if you dont really know how to do this, I'm not surprised your having issues with rf2 man..

6. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Thanks man , thanks for taking the time to help :rolleyes:

7. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Have you tried a different approach to your troubleshooting?
    If nothing you try changing on rF2 works, maybe rF2 isn't the problem, even if other games work fine.

Have you gone to your motherboards bios and 1, updated the bios and/or 2, loaded it's optimal settings?
    All your drivers up to date?
    Have you uninstalled all overclocking/ benchmarking/ hardware monitoring software?
    Turned off "auto update/check for updates" in every piece of software?
    Checked Windows Event Viewer for recurring issues?
    When was the last time you did a fresh install of windows?

There's so many other things that could be an underlying factor.
    Even a dodgy cable.

But to your original question, uninstall rF2 through Steam.
    Then delete the rfactor 2 folder in Steam.
    Unsubscribe, yes one by one as far as I know, all workshop stuff.
    Go to your Steam folder and do a search for: 365960
    Delete everything it finds.
    That probably gets 99.9% without going to the registry and "hidden" windows folders.

8. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Cheers @ADSTA , i've done it now .
    I do know how to uninstall games but just thought there may be some special rF2 way of doing things as there is for everything else , lol Fuck @LokiD and his help o_O

Anyway yeah i've done bios , drivers , run everything at stock clocks and did remove MSI AB and HWInfo , i checked everything i could think of but haven't looked in Event Viewer (as it confuses me ) though and never thought about it being a cable !

Well i've removed every file i and Windows could find and i didnt find any 365960 after removing everything and there is an unsub to all content in Steam so i have a clean install now with only S397 stuff so i will give that a run now and hope for the best .
    Thanks Mate :)

9. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

:eek:
    Yep, I knew that, you passed the "can he find it" test. :p
    Well the next time I do a fresh rF install that will save me madly clicking unsubscribe to each and every piece of content they think I want and need.:rolleyes:
    So it's time for me to do the thanking........ thank you.

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  10. me you

me you Registered

Steam should really have an 'unsubscribe all' button (within each game-) That would automatically unsubscribe all the subscribed content for a particular game at once-
    We're i n the 21'st century, how hard could it be to keep track of all the subscribed content, keep it in one place, and be able to unsubscribe all at once?

I have to reinstall RF2 as well- had an issue with the car not holding track well- it was a weird issue- cornering was brutal- ovals were near impossible to hold a line on- uninstalled- and it fixed the problem- the problem started after i downloaded/subscribed to a mod- not sure what happened- but it wasn't exactly easy uninstalling everything and starting fresh- I know htis didn't answer your problem, but i share your frustration

mesfigas likes this.
  11. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

:confused: Just in case you missed the two times it has been written in this thread:

It might get you frustrated though because it isn't "within the game".

o_O
    Let's go through this one more time,
    21st century: correct.
    Keep track of all subbed content / kept in one place: Someone stole your idea! I was told about a place called Steam Workshop that may be useful but I don't think it will get popular not being in-game.
    Unsubsribe all at once: No, it's good exercise for your mouse clicking finger.

I didn't find the couple of minutes and a dozen or so mouse clicks easy either when I uninstalled rF2.
    It would have been a lot harder without help from my friend Rum and his close mate Coke.

12. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I didnt find getting rF2 up and running very easy at all , as an old man and his first PC only in 2016 ,rF2 really makes you work for your racing unlike the couple of other Sims I use .
    In 4k pancake mode its great and i sorta wish I never went VR because ruined my rF2 !
    I have spent the last 27 hours trying to get rF2 to play nice with VR and my rig and its been 27 hours wasted !
    I thank the few who tried to help but it's be in vain ! rF2 and my system don't mix , Ive pulled the pin and will try again in a few months :(
    Have a rumbo for me @ADSTA ;)

13. me you

me you Registered

well yes adst- i did miss that line in the thread- and no i didn't know about steam beign able to do that- but gee thanks for the sarcasm- that helped loads-

14. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

I think you need to Format your c: drive and start from the scratch

15. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Did you check the 5th comment ? That was a great help for me :p
    @ADSTA has been a massive help for me , he must been on the turps when he ofered you that help ;) after all it was help .

16. me you

me you Registered

Jedi- being a 2016 pc- it should work just fine- Before you give up- contact rf2 support- I did that and they told me (too late, as I'd already uninstalled the game totally- deleted everythign and started from scratch again) how to do it so that i wouldn't lose settings and such- which i didn't tr5y because whiel waitign for answer i uninstalled unfortunately- They were good abotu gettign back to me fairly quickly0- Might wanna just give it a try they might know a trick to stop the problem you are having too-

17. me you

me you Registered

Yeah i saw that 5'th comment- not sure why he said that to you- wasn't very nice off him- Yeah i appreciated ADST's comments about the unsub all- i didn't know that existed- woulda made the issue of unsubbing a lot easier had i known then-

18. stonec

stonec Registered

I read the thread but I don't see what difference it makes to uninstall and reinstall a bunch of workshop content. The absence or presence of workshop content will not solve your freezing issue. If there is one thing to start with IMO, that would be to delete (+backup) all user-specific JSON files, then restart game and let the game regenerate fresh ones. I would agree with @ADSTA that it's likely a OS/driver problem if the game doesn't work as it should with a default and fresh config.

19. me you

me you Registered

I had an issue after installing some workshop content where the cars could not maintain grip- I didn't even realize it was caused by workshop stuff- until after i reinstalled from scratch- something went wrong somewhere along the line- After i did the reinstall, the cars gripped liek they were supposed to- (I have a thread on here talking about the grip problem- it was so bad that i couldn't compete even on the lowest AI settings- It was impossible to maintain grip around corners- even slight corners I woudl have to back way off o n throttle- it was weird- Btu after the fresh reinstall, the problem was resolved- I'm reluctant now to even get workshop stuff now as a result- I dont' want to go through ll that again). I do agree though that the freezing issue may be a driver issue- but it could also be that something in the download content has caused the issue- depends on whether he ever had the game working well or not- if not- then it's likely a driver issue- if he had hte game workign well, then either his vid card is going, or a driver issue, or an incompatibility issue with one of hte workshop modsw or soemthing

20. C. Banger

C. Banger Registered

I built my first PC in 2015 (lifelong Mac user + console player) and picked up rF2 in 2016 like yourself. My thoughts were exactly the same - rF2 needs that extra attention to get what you want out of it. It can be frustrating as hell, but there's a certain charm that keeps me coming back. Bit like my missus.