Competition System SR

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EricW, May 7, 2021.

1. EricW

EricW Registered

Dear all,
    Recently I asked a question which was answered in the latest CS blog about how the studio thinks about the structure or how the Safety Rating system should function.
    Because in my opinion SR rating systems in other games often influence the way we race in a unrealistic matter.
    And the answer was basically to come up with suggestions and ideas.
    I'd like to start this thread to share and hopefully have a discussion on how it should work in your opinion.
    There are a lot of knowledgeable people on board imo.

In other games SR is subtracted with every contact with cars or track barriers.
    The idea behind this, and how it often is explained and defended, is based on budget control.
    When you cause or receive damage it costs money.
    Though in my opinion SR should be part of the total rating and a indication of your racecraft and behaviour on track.
    As "Safety rating" implies.

I don't have a inside in what is technically possible, but as asked hereby my go on what I hope is possible.

I asume the cars already have a invisible collision box to determine where a car collides and what the resulting damage of that contact is, as part of the damage model.
    I also know position data of all cars can be stored, replays and leaderbord information.
    A big step forward for me would be when cars or multiple cars collide, e.g. timestamps are created with a bandwidth of time forward and backward, stored to a temporary database.
    The combination of e.g. track position,speed,brake,and impact location on the car maybe could be used to make a situation analysis of the time stamps and create a more fair SR system.
    This could maybe also have a different outcome in classes where more contact is generally allowed.
    I don't think a system like this is required in real-time, and could run at the end of a session, therefore the timestamp idea.
    Another idea that comes up with this, is a optional "incident review" video that can be viewed after a session using the same timestamp data.

Like to hear your ideas.

2. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

I think the most important thing is, is that small touches aren't affecting your rating. rF2 is well known for its good contact model and netcode, and small touches are possible because of it, which still give good racing (its a fine line though towards full on BTCC though)

EricW likes this.
  3. EricW

EricW Registered

Yes indeed.
    And it would be nice if some kind of multiplier per raceclass can be applied.
    BTTC to Formula series.

4. EricW

EricW Registered

What i would love to see improved in real-time is the handling of situations like this:
    Sit3.png
    Where Car B brakes too late and hits Car B in the back
    Causing SR damage on car A, and obviously Car B.
    Car A looses a lot of time recovering and basically has a lost race.
    Car C behind has to do his best to avoid the carnage and receives either a cut track or a slow down paired with a subtraction of his overall rating.
    Where in my opinion Car C did the safest thing you can do in that situation.
    Car A is punished the hardest while the whole situation was created by car B who has a small SR subtraction, little time loss, and can follow his line and continue his race.
    In a perfect world Car A should not receive any subtraction in rating.
    Car B should be punished the hardest.
    Car C should get a safety medal.
    Technically:
    - Collision detected.
    - Car A in front of Car B, breakpoint of A & B compared, collision RF to RB
    - Car C within carnage range of A and B
    - Car C receives a safety flag to be able to take evasive action and is freed of any subtraction or penalties for a short period.
    - Car A is freed of any subtraction or penalties for a short period and no SR or rating subtractions
    - Car B receives a SR hit and a slow down or any other kind of punishment.

I know this looks easy but is probably very complicated.

5. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Yeah, it is very complicated. It's like in iRacing if you go off to avoid an accident you get a 1x. If you get hit from behind you get a 4x. The algorithm can't apportion blame so the only 'fair' way of doing it is to penalise both parties.

6. EricW

EricW Registered

Yes Aiden, but it's a hugely compromised method to make things more fair, and actually pretty annoying if you are after competition race simulation and realism.
    I believe If you can come up with a stable CS and design a slightly better or more fair system it would become extremely popular in no time.