Colours and blackout with HDR

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Old Hat, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

It's only this build that I've been able to have HDR on. (Looks great at LR with Skip BTW). But I turned it off to check the FPS difference, and ever since turning it back on, I'm getting random appearances of psychedelic colours on the Skip windscreen and flag guy's face and periodic temporary (a second or so) blackouts of the whole screen. I had the blackouts in previous builds. You can see the weird colours in the race menu screen in the small window top right. I think uninstalling the race school mod, restarting the PC and reinstalling will generally fix it for a while - as it does my previously reported temporary graphics freezes that randomise all colours and textures when the screen freezes with the sound stuck in a loop. Again, this stuff only happens with rF2; not once in years of iRacing, any other sim, nor any other game.

Also shadows on the road are arriving very late.
    And I'm still seeing a banding effect of different tones of blue in the sky.

2. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

For me its different with multiple builds, with one build i can use hdr, the next one makes my whole pc crash. 134 crashes my pc violently so i had to turn it off again.

I think build 107 was the latest build where HDR was on and working very well for me.

3. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

Did you check your graphics card temperatures? Sounds like a problem with overheating or memory defect.

4. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

Yes, I'm monitoring temperature. Doesn't go above 60 deg at the moment, fan's set to step up to 100% before then. Memtest was OK. I did an hour of iRacing with no problem (other than it being sh*ite! :)), then startup rf2 and before I've even driven anywhere, there's weird colours going on, so I can't see how it can be that. If there's something wrong with my system, then it's only rF2 that's finding it anyway. I've uninstalled the mod, restarted and it's fine again.

5. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

As far as I know memtest tests the memory of your computer, not the memory of your graphics card - I was talking about graphics card memory.
    I doubt it has anything to do with the uninstall/install of the mod. Did you try to just restart the game (maybe exit the game, wait a minute or two then start it again)?

6. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

OK, wasn't sure which memory you meant. I did run Kombuster for a while without signs of trouble. But not for long, as some people think it's not great for you card anyway.

As for uninstalling the mod, that was Tim's suggestion for the other graphics problem I mentioned - freezing and random textures appearing. It does actually fix the problem...until it happens again. Something to do with shaders(?). Had to do it once the previous build. And that's now once for this one...so far. :)